Author Topic: Finals not out of the question: Tuck (RFC)  (Read 2827 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Finals not out of the question: Tuck (RFC)
« on: June 16, 2008, 01:46:49 PM »
Finals not out of the question: Tuck
richmondfc.com.au
By Ben Broad
11:26 AM Mon 16 June, 2008

RICHMOND midfielder Shane Tuck says his side will attempt to “pinch” the four points against some of the premier teams in the competition in coming weeks as his side starts a late run towards the AFL finals.

While the Tigers’ 22-point win over Melbourne at Telstra Dome on Sunday wasn’t terribly convincing, Tuck said it would provide confidence as his team looks ahead to a more enticing draw in the remaining rounds.

Richmond has won just four matches this year, but after Sunday’s win and with several players performing well, there is renewed optimism that a late charge at September is not out of the question – starting with Saturday’s clash against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

“In the second half of the year we play seven sides out of the top eight, so we’re hoping that we can get the job done in those ones and maybe pinch a couple of the late ones,” Tuck said.

“If we play some good footy, we might be able to scrape in there, seventh or eighth. We’ve just got to concentrate on Port Adelaide and try and get them knocked over.”

The Tigers looked set for an easy win over Melbourne after charging to a big half-time lead before the Demons roared back into contention.

Tuck admitted his side’s third quarter had “let it down”, but the positive had been the way his team had responded.

All at Tigerland had been under the microscope heading into the clash, so getting the four points was paramount not only to the Tigers’ season but to confidence levels for everyone at Punt Road.

“I think a bit of pressure brings out the best in some people,” Tuck said after the win.

“That’s just the way it is, and we had to get a bit of a spray in the media.

“Our last two weeks have been disappointing, so it was just good to come out today and have a good win.”

Tuck’s effort could not be downplayed, the 26-year-old enjoying arguably his best outing for the season to help lead Terry Wallace’s men to victory. Tuck had 26 disposals, 11 clearances and, perhaps most satisfyingly, iced the game in the dying moments with a classy goal.

“I’m very happy to get a kick,” Tuck said.

“I’ve had a pretty ordinary first half of the season, so I just want to try to get my second half right.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=61551

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Finals not out of the question: Tuck (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »
I was looking at the ladder before the Melbourne game and was surprized to see that we were just 2 wins out of the 8! If Carlton had of lost against Collingwood (like I thought they would do :( ) we would have been a chance the week after.

Amazing really!  :pray

We can't control the other teams but if we do have a few wins over the next month we may actually scrape in. With a priority pick unlikely (5 wins this season and 9 wins over 2 seasons isn't it?) I would rather the team go for it.

You never know we may break the drought his year.....  :o  :whistle

Stripes

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
Stripes that is a very optimistic view of things.
All we have done is beaten Carlton Essendon Freo and Melbourne. 3 teams in the bottom 4 and one team who will finish around the 8-12 area like us. Nothing to write home about. At least the Blues have beaten the Pies twice and have beaten Port over there and therein lies our challenge to emulate that this week and beat them the week after.
Unless we get a genuine scalp like an Adelaide away a Swans a Hawthorn or Geelong in the run home we won't make it and all this will serve to show is where we were in 2006 beating everyone bar the Hawks in the bottom half of the 8 and only yhr Pies and Crows from the 8 plus copping 3 century pt hidings from teams in the top 8 and a 88 pointer to the eventual premiers. Still a long long way to go. We beat Melbourne who are bottom of the ladder and have won 1 game. Anything less than last night and we should pack up our tents and go home. Still a couple of early draft picks and a couple of years away at the minimum.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 03:24:58 PM »
I wouldn't think so, but you have to think like that and that is good.

If we are any chance, dare say we MUST beat port sat  :thumbsup here's hoping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »
To make the finals we would need to win the next 4 games in a row at least (Port away, Blues, Eagles away, Bombers) to be just a show. The last time we won 4 in a row was back in early 2005 when Browny was killing them. We're not good enough consistent footy to see us winning large number of games in a row even against bottom 8 sides and we also cop Geelong, Adelaide and Hawthorn in a row b/w rounds 18-20. The draw and narrow loss to the Saints have cost us. We would have been equal with Carlton if we had won both those games we should have. We didn't so that says it all.

Could we do it? yes if we were playing like we were against the Dogs and Freo most weeks and given Carlton and the Saints tough draw and North's draw and injuries. Will we? No not on current form with our massive inconsistencies even during games from blitzing the opposition in general play then swinging to being absolute crap. You won't get away with playing just 20 minutes of decent footy and then going to sleep.  

ps. Credit where's due to Tucky on the weekend.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »
To make the finals we would need to win the next 4 games in a row at least (Port away, Blues, Eagles away, Bombers) to be just a show. The last time we won 4 in a row was back in early 2005 when Browny was killing them. We're not good enough consistent footy to see us winning large number of games in a row even against bottom 8 sides and we also cop Geelong, Adelaide and Hawthorn in a row b/w rounds 18-20. The draw and narrow loss to the Saints have cost us. We would have been equal with Carlton if we had won both those games we should have. We didn't so that says it all.

Could we do it? yes if we were playing like we were against the Dogs and Freo most weeks and given Carlton and the Saints tough draw and North's draw and injuries. Will we? No not on current form with our massive inconsistencies even during games from blitzing the opposition in general play then swinging to being absolute crap. You won't get away with playing just 20 minutes of decent footy and then going to sleep.  

Good analysis MT.

We either have to win 4-5 of the next 5 and one of Geelong/Adelaide/Hawks or else we are presented with a sceario where we are beating two of Geelong/Adelaide/Hawks.

This is all based on the assumption that the last two games are gimmes. We'd be coming home like a freight train into the finals.

Unfortunately I think it will all be over in two weeks time  :(

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »
I agree I am being overly optomistic but we have a better chance of acieving the nigh impossible this year than we have in years.

There is always a chance and I choose to dream  :sleep of making the finals rather than be pessimistic and watch out the year in familiar sadness. :'(

My head tells me we will finish 12th .... but my heart won't ignore the possibility, no matter how remote, that there still remains a reasonable chance to force our way into finals actions for only the 3rd time in 26 years!  :pray

We can do it  :gotigers

Stripes

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »

carlton have a easy draw MT.

They will get that 8th spot provided fev stays on the park.

no fev no carlton
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »

no fev no carlton
Essendon (MCG), Richmond (MCG), St Kilda (MCG), Sydney (Dome), Bulldogs (Dome), Adelaide (AAMI), Port (Dome), North (Dome), Brisbane (Gabba), Hawthorn (Dome)

They play 5 of the top 7 sides in the last 7 weeks plus North who are on their tail. Apart from Collingwood, the Blues haven't beaten anyone of note (Melb, Freo, Port, WC).

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 08:30:22 PM »

no fev no carlton
Essendon (MCG), Richmond (MCG), St Kilda (MCG), Sydney (Dome), Bulldogs (Dome), Adelaide (AAMI), Port (Dome), North (Dome), Brisbane (Gabba), Hawthorn (Dome)

They play 5 of the top 7 sides in the last 7 weeks plus North who are on their tail. Apart from Collingwood, the Blues haven't beaten anyone of note (Melb, Freo, Port, WC).

Well thats a relief because i despise those pricks i really do.

llistening to sen after they beat the pies re inforced my hatred for them.

i only heard their draw for the next month and assumed it was easy for the rest of the year.

they are beatable no doubt. no fev and u win the game. simple!!
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 03:04:45 AM »
We either have to win 4-5 of the next 5 and one of Geelong/Adelaide/Hawks or else we are presented with a sceario where we are beating two of Geelong/Adelaide/Hawks.
Looks now more and more the way you've said Jake. North winning yesterday has made our job tougher even if we were to win the next 4 games plus the last two. We need North to drop a game they are expected to win else we would need to win one of those 3 hard ones  :-\. Normally you're stuffed if you need to rely on other sides to lose.

Next week is massive as the 4 clubs after that 8th spot are playing each other - Rich vs Carl and North vs St Kilda.

The only other chance is if say the Pies on 28 pts who play the Dogs today and the Swans in Sydney next week drop back to the chasing pack and both 7th and 8th spots suddenly become up for grabs. If the Pies drop both games and we beat the Blues we'll be only half a game behind.

Tigermonk

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 10:06:32 AM »
all l want is too win games & if we fall into the finals then deal with it then.
But all Tiger supporters need wins & the players & club need the confidence so to play better football
but aint it good to end Ports chances of playing finals this year considering they did play in a Grand Final last year.
How football can change quickly  ;D  :gotigers let Port rot in thier misery  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 08:26:56 PM »
With the Pies and Blues losing today, win next week and we'll be just a half a game out with two spots up for grabs in the Eight. We'll jump over the Blues too  :thumbsup. Win our next 3 games and we should be in the Eight. There's the challenge.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to play finals? - Paul Gough (Sportal)
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 10:38:44 PM »
Tigers to play finals?
22/06/2008 5:29:05 PM
Paul Gough
Sportal

At last there is a glimmer of hope for long-suffering Richmond fans.

And the first signs of light at the end of a long, dark tunnel could not come at a better time for the Tigers as they prepare to celebrate their AFL centenary this Saturday with a clash against arch-rivals Carlton at the MCG.

But after Saturday's thrilling four point win over last year's runners-up Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium, Tigers' fans have more reason other than just to celebrate the club's 100th anniversary to flock to Saturday's clash in droves.

That is because not only are the Tigers now right back in the finals race, following their most significant win of the season, but there appears to be genuine hope for the future as some of their youngsters begin to blossom.

Remainder of article at:
http://sportal.com.au/AFL-opinion-display/tigers-to-play-finals-50976

richmondrules

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 08:10:36 AM »
I'm not getting my hopes up but it can't hurt to dream.

If only we had won those games against the Saints and Dogs.