Author Topic: Polak thread [merged]  (Read 39130 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Polak
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2008, 05:25:19 PM »
While Caro was having a go at the Sunday Herald-Sun tonight she mentioned Polak still only has 85% brain capacity.

At least he's stil ahead of Caro..

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Polak to remain on our list
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »
From BF:

He [Polak] wants to be paid his contracted amount for next year.
Rama agreed to be paid a rookie wage for the season he missed.
You can only go on the rookie list if you are paid a rookie wage.
So Polak stays on the senior list and then will go onto the long term injury list to allow an upgraded rookie.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508593

You do realise the members history you quoted that from is serial troll Hawker 44, yes a Hawthorn supporter?

It's a waste of time considering it to be true and i dont think it's worth spreading as a rumour on here.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Polak thread [merged]
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »
Ch 10 news showed Polly training today with the squad at Gosch's paddock. He's able to the drills but they said he still suffers memory loss from the accident. Sugar said Polly is training following strict doctor and physio orders.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak training with Tigers (AAP)
« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »
Polak training with Tigers
AAP | November 12, 2008

RICHMOND'S Graham Polak continues to make encouraging progress from his serious head injuries, but an AFL comeback remains a distant goal.

The key position player has joined in senior pre-season training at the club over the last few weeks.

Earlier this year, Polak suffered brain damage when he ran into the path of a tram.

There were initially grave fears for his health, but the key position player has made a steady recovery.

“It gives everyone a lift, because we went through a hard time (this) year, when one of your team-mates goes down,'' said outgoing Richmond captain Kane Johnson.

“It's hard enough when he goes down on the footy field with a bad injury.

“But to have something like that ... get hit by a tram, that's just devastating for the whole club.

“At the moment, he's just doing what he can and he's relying on the physios and doctors to tell him what to do.''

While Polak seemed to move well during training, club officials stress he is a long way from being fully-recovered and ready for an AFL comeback.

The Tigers have kept him on their senior list in the hope he will play football again.

“I don't know a lot, because I've only just got back from holidays,'' Johnson said.

“I think he's progressing really well and hopefully he can get back out there and play one day.

“But at the moment we're just trying to get him out training and see how the progress goes from there.''

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24641063-23211,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2008, 09:25:02 PM »
Polak joins Tiger training
By Ben Broad
Wed 12 November, 2008

THE SIGHT of recovering Tiger Graham Polak joining in pre-season training was a further boost for Richmond ahead of its 2009 campaign.

Polak, who missed much of the Tigers' 2008 season after being hit by a tram while out with teammates in late June, is making progress in his bid to play AFL football again.

On Wednesday he took part in training at Gosch's Paddock near Punt Road, where the large majority of the Richmond squad endured a skills session in searing heat.

Polak was joined by Irishmen Connor Meredith (County Laois) and Niall McKeever (County Antrim), both of whom are trialling with the Tigers.

It isn't known when or if Polak will be able to compete at the same level he achieved before his severe head injury – which left him with bruising to his brain – but outgoing captain Kane Johnson said Polak's return had buoyed spirits.

"It gives everyone a lift because we went through a hard time last year," Johnson said.

"When one of your teammates goes down [it's tough] … it's hard enough when he goes down on the footy field with a bad injury but to have something like that and be hit by a tram is just devastating for the whole club.

"To see him out there gives everyone a really big lift."

Johnson said while he wasn't 100 per cent sure of his teammate's progress, he was optimistic the key-position Tiger would continue to make significant strides.

"I think he's progressing really well and hopefully he can get back out there and play one day, but at the moment we're just trying to get him out training and see how the progress sort of goes from there," Johnson said.

"At the moment he's just doing what he can and he's just relying on the physios and the doctors to tell him what to do."

Senior Tigers Nathan Brown, Matthew Richardson, Troy Simmonds and Johnson were among the onlookers during the session which was conducted in temperatures reaching the mid 30s.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=69721

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2008, 04:44:08 AM »
Four pics of Polly at yesterday's training           (by Herald-Sun photographer Michael Dodge)

Graham Polak has a laugh with Mark Coughlan

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6346810,00.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6346815,00.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6346814,00.jpg

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak - The strength of support (RFC)
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2008, 02:14:55 PM »
The strength of support
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Sat 15 November, 2008

A SCAR a few centimetres long on his left temple is the only visible indicator of Graham Polak's clash with a tram back in June.

It's a small reminder that gives no indication of how close the 24-year-old came to losing his life.

Polak suffered severe brain bruising after he was hit by a tram following the Tigers' round-14 match against Carlton, spent a week in intensive care and is still undergoing a rehabilitation program while training with the club.

In the first of a three-part series, Polak tells richmondfc.com.au how much the support from around the country – more than 2000 emails flooded in to the club – has helped him as he battles to recover from the terrifying incident.

Full story here:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=69787

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polly chats to Ch 7 news / Sunday-Herald Sun interview
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2008, 06:01:55 PM »
Coming up shortly
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:41:07 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Polly chats to Ch 7 news
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2008, 06:16:02 PM »
They showed Polly walking along the beach hand in hand with partner Alycle.

Polak said he's feeling pretty good. The main thing is the memory is not back yet.

Ch 7 said Richmond officials are amazed by his recovery and there's even talk of Polly playing as early as next year but he's got a long way to go.

There will be pictures in tomorrow's Sunday Herald-Sun

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2008, 07:30:40 PM »
His memory isn't back yet.......hmmmm

Someone get in his ear and say 'don't you remember, you were the new Wayne Carey, you'd kick 7 goals a game and were an absolute star.'  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

bushranger

« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »

Someone get in his ear and say 'don't you remember, you were the new Wayne Carey, you'd kick 7 goals a game and were an absolute star.'  :lol
But brave as Glen Archer as Cary was a gutless prick.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2008, 07:54:32 PM »

:rollin

There will be pictures in tomorrow's Sunday Herald-Sun

I hope they got permission this time.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Injured Tiger Polak keen to pull boots on (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2008, 04:49:05 AM »
Injured Tiger Polak keen to pull boots on
Sunday Herald Sun
Glenn McFarlane
November 16, 2008 12:00am

EXCLUSIVE: GRAHAM Polak has told how he miraculously survived being hit by a tram and thrown several metres, saying a split second may have saved his life.

Breaking a five-month silence, Polak, 24, revealed he was struck by the mirror and not the full force of the tram when he was crossing Dandenong Rd in Armadale on June 28.

Polak and girlfriend Alyce Oksuz believe a split-second hesitation not only saved his life, but also limited the head trauma he suffered.

"I am the luckiest man alive. If I had been hit front-on, it might have ended up much worse than it was," Polak said during the week.

"I could have ended up underneath the tram."

Ms Oksuz said: "It could have been so much worse; he could have been dead. For it to have hit him and have him flip and land on the other side of the track on the grass for a soft landing is just a miracle.

"Graham said later, 'How could this have happened?' Now he puts it into perspective. He realises he was lucky, not unlucky."

Polak agreed to speak about the accident for the first time.

In an interview authorised by the Richmond Football Club, he revealed:

HIS father's premature death from a heart attack inspired his recovery.

HE still suffers some short-term memory loss and difficulties with his balance, which he hopes to overcome.

THE swelling on his brain has almost subsided.

THE support of his girlfriend, their families, the club and the medical teams from The Alfred and Epworth hospitals was crucial.

HE has received more than 2000 emails, cards and letters of support from the public.

Polak has returned to training with the Tigers and the club is monitoring his progress, mindful he is still a long way off a full recovery.

While Polak's long-term aim is to run out on the MCG in what would be an emotional return to the game he loves, he won't put his health at risk.

"I'm really enjoying being back with the boys at the club. It's given me a lift," he said.

"I'd love to play again, but it's not the be-all and end-all. The main thing is I am alive."

It was very different 4 1/2 months ago when Polak's world changed in the blink of an eye. He had played on the Saturday in a game to mark the club's 100th birthday.

The Tigers lost and, in a bizarre twist, Polak was knocked out and suffered a broken rib in a collision with Carlton's Brendan Fevola.

Incredibly, after the tram accident about eight hours later, the only broken bone his many X-rays revealed was the cracked rib.

Polak had attended a post-game centenary celebration, but did not have a drink.

Ms Oksuz was at Eve nightclub in Southbank and he was going to meet her about 11pm.

But he reached only as far as across the road from his home before being hit by the tram.

"I don't remember anything of the accident," he said.

"I was just walking across the road and the tram tracks to a taxi waiting on the other side. Jordan McMahon was waiting in the taxi with his girlfriend and I was going across with Cleve Hughes.

"I have been told I saw the first tram, but didn't realise there was another one coming the other way. Cleve pulled out of the way just in time. It didn't get him, but it got me."

In little more than an hour, Polak was in hospital, Ms Oksuz had rushed to his bedside and their families were ready to fly from Perth.

Ms Oksuz barely left Polak's side at The Alfred and later the Epworth Hospital.

"I just wanted the doctors to tell me he was going to be OK, but they couldn't," she recalled. "The first night was the hardest. We didn't really know what was happening.

"At that stage we didn't know if he was going to live."

Polak was diagnosed with a severe head injury, with the long-term implications unclear.

He was put in an induced coma and doctors were cautiously optimistic, rather than certain, he would make a full recovery.

When it became clear that Polak would survive, Ms Oksuz's outlook changed.

"At the start I just wanted him to live," she said.

"Then, once we found out he was going to live, I wanted to have him normal again.

"Everyone else was really happy he was alive, but I was like 'that's my boyfriend and I need him to be a boyfriend'."

The bond between the pair has been strong since they met more than five years ago in WA. But it has strengthened since the accident.

Polak says he wouldn't have emerged from the trauma without Ms Oksuz and the support they received.

"I think when something is almost taken away from you, you realise how much it means to you," Ms Oksuz said.

"When things were touch and go in the first few hours, you sit there and think 'What if he isn't going to come through this?' And you realise, 'Oh my God, I cannot live without him'."

The couple say they can never repay the people who helped them through the initial period, his month-long stay in the two hospitals and his ongoing rehabilitation.

Polak said the care he received from the medical staff at The Alfred - a time he does not recall - and the Epworth was "unbelievable".

"The care we got from the doctors, nurses, physios and Richmond's doctor, Greg Hickey, was great," he said.

Not only did the club fly their families to Melbourne and put them up in units , they ensured a steady stream of visitors, mainly teammates, to keep up Polak's spirits.

"I can't thank the club enough. They made sure we didn't have to worry about anything," he said.

'MY teammates really kept me going. It was boring at the hospital and the boys coming in all the time was great for me. That's what drove me and still drives me."

Polak made a point of praising coach Terry Wallace, former football manager Greg Miller, Kane Johnson and the Richmond board and staff for their care and support.

Polak said he could barely believe the 2000-plus messages he had from fans.

He admitted to frustration at his short-term memory.

"The balance and the memory are the most frustrating things at the moment," he said.

"If I put my phone or wallet somewhere and it is not in the place where it should be, then I have to get Alyce to help me.

"It is bloody frustrating, but I think it is improving slowly.

"I still get tired late in the day. The balance issue doesn't seem to be getting much better, but the doctors think it will continue to improve over time."

Polak is back doing a modified training program.

"They are not pushing me too hard," he said.

"I am doing a lot of the skills sessions. I've only done one bad one. I was dropping marks and just getting tired easy. The fitness coach (Matt Hornsby) saw that and pulled me out of the next drill.

"Sometimes I just feel more lightheaded, so I have to just chill out a bit until I'm right."

He knows there will be focus on whether he plays in 2009.

"I wouldn't put my hand up until I am ready to play," he said.

"I wouldn't want anyone to have their spot sacrificed because I shouldn't be there.

"It is the last year of my contract, so I figure I have to play or I won't be given another one. If it happens, and I play, that's great. If it doesn't, I will be disappointed, but my health is the main thing."

Ms Oksuz added: "He loves his football, so obviously I would love him to play again. But I don't know if I will able to watch. I will be screaming at everyone not to touch him.

"I think before the accident if he had gone out with an injury, he would have been devastated. But he now realises there is an outside world to the little footy bubble they are in."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24656264-661,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Doctor unsure on AFL return (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2008, 04:52:08 AM »
Doctor unsure on AFL return
Sunday Herald Sun
Glenn McFarlane
November 16, 2008 12:00am

NEUROSURGEON John McMahon was driving home along Dandenong Rd late on June 28 when he saw ambulance paramedics attending a person struck by a tram.

Instinctively he knew he would be required to play a role in the victim's rehabilitation.

What he didn't know was that the casualty was Graham Polak.

"I could see someone had been hit and was being assisted on the ground," Mr McMahon said.

"Right there, I knew that person would probably end up at The Alfred and we would probably be involved in that person's care."

Mr McMahon said the fact the accident was close to The Alfred made the medical team treating Polak more effective.

"That's the advantage of having The Alfred and all of its facilities available," he said.

Mr McMahon said Polak could expect continued improvement with his short-term memory and balance.

"As far as head injuries are concerned, we know it can take up to a year for the brain to recover," he said.

"In say a year's time, a lot of the problems will have been resolved."

But he is guarded about a possible return to football.

"It's just too early to say," he said.

"You would not want him to return to football unless his balance was back to normal and his reaction times and judgment were right.

"It is good that he is back training, but I suppose there is a quantum leap between training and a match."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,%2024656265-661,00.html