Author Topic: Polak thread [merged]  (Read 39155 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who gets hit by a tram, Mr Polak? (Age)
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2008, 04:38:45 AM »
Who gets hit by a tram, Mr Polak?
Michael Gleeson | November 22, 2008

GRAHAM Polak remembers the after-match function but not the match. He remembers the water he drank at the MCG that night, but not the quick glass of wine he shared with Cleve Hughes before stepping out the door of his flat. He saw the first tram but not the second. But he remembers neither.

His next memory is of Trent Croad and another mate, Murray Silver, standing before him in Epworth hospital. It was weeks later. He had had dozens of conversations before that with teammates, family, and doctors in the hospital but he recollected little even immediately afterwards. This post-traumatic amnesia is to be expected when you get hit by a tram.

It was late on June 28 when Polak and Hughes jogged across the four lanes of Dandenong Road to the avenue of trees that divides the arterial road, planning to get to a taxi on the other side, where Jordan McMahon and his girlfriend were waiting. He didn't make it.

"Jordy reckons I was nearly across and I saw the one tram coming but by the time I saw the other one coming it was probably a bit too late and I started to run for it, apparently, and nearly got past it and it just clipped me on the side and smashed me. They think it was the rear-view mirror that hit me," Polak said this week.

He was spun like a top. In an odd coincidence, walking past was a friend of his manager who was also trained in emergency first aid. He put Polak into the correct position and called an ambulance, which arrived within minutes, quickly followed by a MICA (intensive care) unit.

Polak was quickly given oxygen and put on a spine board and loaded into the back of the ambulance. But there was a hold up in leaving the scene when a piece of machinery in the ambulance failed. En route to the Alfred, Polak was upset and agitated, kicking and tugging at his face-mask.

Fortunately, an intensive care ambulance with two trained staff was available that night, for they were able to do what a regular-staffed ambulance could not and induce a coma there.

"We induced the coma in the ambulance because we wanted to protect his airway and by paralysing and sedating him with drugs it stops further movement and that protects the brain from further swelling," MICA paramedic Mark Eddey said.

Moments earlier, driving in the opposite direction, was neurosurgeon John McMahon, who had finished work at the Alfred and saw Polak being treated on the tracks. He did not stop. Despite being a brain surgeon he figures unless he has a scalpel and an operating theatre he is of no more use than any other bystander. But it would not take long for him to become involved. He was phoned by the hospital's registrar to consult soon after arriving home.

Tests confirmed Polak had sustained a severe brain injury. On a clinical scale of three to 15, in which 15 is normal and three is dead, Polak was a seven.

Within 15 minutes of arrival at hospital he had been given a CAT scan that revealed tiny petechial haemorrhages around the brain. Effectively, surgeon McMahon felt, Polak had been hit and violently spun so that the brain had sloshed in his skull so aggressively that many of the neurones connecting the inner and outer parts of the brain had sheared. He did not have a skull fracture or a single large haemorrhage, so it was doubtful his head hit the tram or the ground.

"This is a global, very severe brain injury that people take months to years to recover from, and some do not recover and may end up in a nursing home," McMahon said.

It was decided to put Polak in intensive care and closely observe him for brain swelling, but not to insert a monitor to the brain to test for swelling. Inserting this monitor would have seriously affected Polak's ability to play football again, but the decision not to insert it was a clinical one, not a footballing one.

The brain scan also revealed another haemorrhage in the right thalamus and internal capsule that McMahon feared could have caused weakness in his left side. He has since not experienced this.

"He did far better than we would ever have expected of someone with petechial haemorrhages," McMahon said. "He is on the lucky end of the scale when we take into account his initial neurological condition. The initial thing was this guy is probably not going to die because he is moving his arms at the scene - that is a good sign - but with him he still had a severe head injury, he still had these petechial haemorrhages which could represent something quite bad for prognosis."

Less than a week after the accident, Polak was transferred to the Epworth Hospital. For weeks more he swam in a fog of post-traumatic amnesia. He was up and out of bed within days of his accident and had some awareness but was not cognisant of all around him. Richmond coach Terry Wallace came to visit and Polak began doing sit-ups in his hospital bed; others came and he knew to tell jokes to some and not others, but could not recall afterwards any who had been there.

"He was gradually waking from his coma. It's not like Hollywood where you wake up and you are pleasantly confused but you cannot remember your wife. It's a gradual process and not a very nice process," Epworth physio Gavin Williams said.

Polak presumed he had been in a car accident. He asked about the other car, about his own car and would point to the gravel marks and bruising on his legs and say, "Look at the exhaust burns", his girlfriend Alyce said. On another occasion he turned to Alyce and asked determinedly, "How long was I trapped in the car?" as though pleading with her to break a secret.

He was told it was a tram, not a car. His mind was muddy but he could barely believe it. Even now he finds it difficult to consider.

"Who gets hit by a tram? I just thought it was silly getting hit by a tram - things that don't swerve or don't do anything, just go on straight lines, and I still got cleaned up by one. How stupid am I getting hit by one of those?" he laughed ruefully this week.

The process of rehabilitation under associate professor John Olver at the Epworth has been painstaking, slowly seeking to return Polak's balance and short-term memory, which remain the worst affected.

"They reckon it is going to get better in time, the memory is going to get better, the balance is going to get better, but, myself, I can't see it getting better. Because I can't feel it getting better so I don't know if it is. It probably is, but I can't tell. It is frustrating the poo out of me." he said.

His proudest moment came when he was allowed to run again. Having been held back by Williams until he was certain his balance would cope, it was a tangible sign to Polak that he was advancing.

"Running was the most satisfying thing. To know that I am actually able to run again and didn't have disabilities or anything that would stop me from running was pleasing," he said.

Measuring these baby steps of change, Polak was satisfied this week to be allowed to drive. Having sustained such a serious injury, including some impairment of vision in his left eye, he was finally recovered sufficiently to be re-tested and cleared by the TAC and doctors to resume driving. It was a moment to celebrate.

"Driving again was great because well you know you must be getting better but I had been sitting at home all day and you can't go anywhere, you can't do anything, you can't drive anywhere. It was very frustrating," he said.

He has not drunk alcohol since the incident and is banned by doctors from doing so until he hits the 12-month anniversary of the accident. It will be a moment deserving of a celebratory drink.

He harbours a desire to play senior football again, which is a worthy goal and one the doctors believe is achievable, even if it will take time. He still tires easily, especially later in the day and week, and has troubles with his short-term memory, even needing teammates at times to remind him of drills they have just been instructed to perform.

"I reckon footy is what drove me the most, seeing the boys coming in. Because it was boring, I would come back home here and sit by myself and I couldn't drive and I was bored to death, so I just wanted to get back to the club and be around them and involved," he said.

"I have come a long way from where I was but I have a long way to go. I definitely want to get back to playing. When that is, I'm not sure . . . I will work my way back through. I wouldn't want to go back into the senior team until I am physically well enough to play or jeopardise someone else's spot in the side and I don't want to be in and do stuff-all - I don't want them to lose because of me."

Polak believes the injury has flipped his skills. Renowned for his ability to mark strongly, he is dropping easy chest marks, while his kicking has improved.

"My hands are still hopeless, my left side is a bit shaky, a bit more 'unco' than usual. I was never that good on my left anyway, but my hands are the main thing that annoy me. I have been dropping sitters but they reckon that is nothing, it will improve. But it gets you down," he said.

The plan now is to recommence full-contact training early next year. There is little concern that he would be at risk of a worse brain injury from another knock, rather, more concern that he not be put in that position until such time as his balance and judgement has returned to normal.

Said professor Olver: "There has got to be a certain amount of protection but at the same time people have to live life, and you don't wrap them up in cotton wool."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/who-gets-hit-by-a-tram-mr-polak/2008/11/21/1226770742893.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rookie rules to help Polly (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2008, 04:50:44 AM »
Rookie rules to help Polly
Jon Ralph | December 12, 2008

GRAHAM Polak will be eligible to play from Round 11 next year even if he is on Richmond's rookie list.

And the key defender is optimistic of a return to the AFL. While those close to Polak still believe a return to senior football is some way off, new AFL rules give him hope of a quick return.

Although Polak is likely to be rookie-listed, rules introduced in October allow the Tigers to elevate a player mid-season even if no teammates are on the long-term injury list.

That means even if he is considered a rookie, he can play football for Coburg from the start of the year, and AFL football from Round 11.

While that would seem an optimistic prognosis, some in the Polak camp were yesterday speculating he could be back playing for Coburg by Round 4.

Richmond's mature-aged rookie is Jarrod Silvester, but Polak's case is unique and not in any way related to any of the other Tiger rookies.

Polak is happy to be put on the rookie list if it is in the best interests of Richmond, although the Tigers have told him they may not take up that option even if it approved by the AFL.

If the club decided not to draft Ben Cousins, Polak could be retained as a senior-listed player.

It seems increasingly likely Richmond will be given approval to rookie-list Polak, allowing it to take a young player as well as Cousins.

Polak yesterday received support from Essendon defender Adam Ramanauskas, who was granted a rookie list spot from the AFL in 2007.

Ramanauskas said being put on the rookie list might be the perfect solution for Polak.

"He should be on the rookie list if that is the best thing for his recovery, and for him to be able to come back and play football," Ramanauskas said.

"Also I think it will take some pressure off him. He is on the senior list, but it might make him realise he doesn't have to hurry back.

"His health is paramount in this whole situation. With a head injury you would hate to see him rush back too early. This way it will give him time to get back to football.

"The main thing is what's best for Graham and his recovery."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24788588-19742,00.html

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Polak thread [merged]
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2008, 08:37:12 AM »
I'd be very surprised if the RFC played this card
The whole point of going to the AFL over this is that 2009 is effectively a write off for Polak
To elevate him immediately so he can play senior football would be pretty arrogant and would make it unlikely that the AFL would allow another player to be moved onto the rookie list on compassionate grounds again, definitely not if we ever needed to again

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2008, 09:11:41 AM »
I'd be very surprised if the RFC played this card
The whole point of going to the AFL over this is that 2009 is effectively a write off for Polak
To elevate him immediately so he can play senior football would be pretty arrogant and would make it unlikely that the AFL would allow another player to be moved onto the rookie list on compassionate grounds again, definitely not if we ever needed to again

Yep.  We would lose a lot of support from rival clubs if we played it like that.  I imagine the medical evidence (the only 'real' facts in this whole media circus) presented to the commission will paint a bleaker picture than Round 11.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2008, 11:01:54 PM »
I agree we would put a lot noses out of joint if Polly was to play next year if we get approval for this. However, the sad fact is I don't think Polly will get close to playing in 2009 if ever :(. Didn't Rama make his comeback in the same year he was placed on the rookie list?

I was having a look over a BB on what they saying about Polak and after a page and a half of crap  ::) there was actually one Bombers fan with a brain  :o who summed up the situation well about why we should get approval to have Polly made a rookie :clapping.

i didnt know we had so many neurosurgeons amongst us, that have extensive knowledge of what it takes to recover from severe brain trauma. DP's personal experience excluded.

listen up

without knowing the full extent of the injuries sustained, and assuming his injuries are the result of intraparenchymal hematoma and recovery from coma whilst in this state, 90% of recovery for this type of injury is about reprogramming neural pathways that are either dormant due to coma or damaged due to hemorrhage. This process quite literally can take years, for Polak as massive part of his recovery is repetition. Him kicking a football is not only going to aid his recovery when it comes to playing the game but its going to assist in other areas of his life as well as they are all interlinked. Richmond is doing there part to assist the recovery of a young man who sustained a massive injury.

If this was an Essendon player and we didn’t go above the idea of list management to help that player recover, i would be ashamed of the club.

you one-eyed-mc-stuff-holes calling foul need to get a clue

Richmond are really doing the right thing by him.

http://www.bomberblitz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46342&st=15
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2008, 11:22:54 PM »
Hmmm, a bomber with a brain, how novel is that :lol

Well said though buddy :clapping
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
Well spotted MT, I honestly couldn't have picked out one poster on BB with a shred of intelligence.

I found it amusing that after such a considered and unbiased post he then finishes off with an insult at his fellow BB posters.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak takes another step forward (RFC)
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »
Polak takes another step forward
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
4:25 PM Wed 14 January, 2009

JANUARY, a training session on a baking Melbourne morning. A player takes a looping handball over the top of a defender in a blue vest, sizes up the goals, then slots it from 30 metres on a 60-degree angle.

It would be standard summer fare, if the player kicking truly wasn’t Graham Polak.

Polak is coming back from a serious brain injury after being hit by a tram mid-season last year, and the fact that he is able to take to the training track is amazing enough.

Late last year, when he granted an exclusive interview to richmondfc.com.au, his skills were poor and he was just glad to be back as part of the group.

Now, he’s back slotting them from the forward pocket.

http://afl.com.au/AFL2008/News/Article/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=71275

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »
Now I'm not sure if the Club is putting on a positive spin for the fans but we were told today that Polly is going really well. He was given a rest from training today but he apparently participated in a scratch match they had on Monday and everybody we asked thinks he'll play again. One even said he reckons Polly (of course wearing headgear) will play 6-8 VFL games with Coburg this year and then into the seniors  :o. Anyway that's what we were told.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak cleared for comeback (Age)
« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2009, 12:49:55 AM »
Polak cleared for comeback
Jake Niall | February 5, 2009

IN A remarkable measure of his progress in recovering from brain injuries, Richmond key-position player Graham Polak will today play his first competitive game of football since being hit by a tram in late June last year.

Polak is expected to play for only a short period of today's intra-club game at Gosch's Paddock and is likely to wear a helmet. Richmond's medical staff will closely monitor him for signs of fatigue.

"He'll have a run around," Richmond football operations manager Ross Monaghan said yesterday. "We've just got to monitor very closely his fatigue levels."

Polak, who is excited about his return, has not played since he sustained brain injuries from being hit by a tram on the evening of June 28 last year, after he played in Richmond's round 14 loss to Carlton.

Polak, who was in an induced coma for two days, resumed training in November, but Richmond has been careful not to make any predictions about when he might return.

The Tigers have been entirely guided by advice from the Epworth Hospital, where Polak has been completing his rehabilitation.

"Fatigue levels are the major issue with him," said Monaghan. "Mentally and physically, he just gets fatigued at times. So we've just got to be careful the way we look after him."

Monaghan said Polak had made faster progress than the club anticipated, but remained cautious about his prospects in coming weeks.

"He won't play the whole game. He'll play a small part of it. But just how much he does play will purely depend on the medical fitness staff and how they see it," Monaghan said.

"I guess it's just an opportunity for him to have a run around and if he feels good and he recovers well, well we might look at taking a step forward in upcoming weeks.

"But it's very much a wait-and-see situation.

"Yes, he's come up much better than we expected. But again … everyone's still precautionary in any sort of predictions they have. The medical staff at Epworth will always say, 'We just can't put a timeline on him, how he responds, what his fatigue levels are, how he recovers.' "

The Tigers made a contentious application to have Polak placed on their rookie list just days before the pre-season draft last December, on the grounds that, as a result of his injuries, he might not play for an indefinite period.

Richmond had hoped the Polak application — which was rejected by the AFL — would create an extra draft pick to facilitate the drafting of Ben Cousins, but the Tigers ultimately drafted Cousins anyway.

Monaghan said fatigue was more of an issue for Polak than collisions.

"He's been wearing a helmet in training. We expect him to (wear one), but that'll be a decision between him and the medical staff I think tomorrow," Monaghan said.

"From his (Polak's) point of view, it's a really positive step forward and that's why we're keen to give him that opportunity, which he's keen to take.

"I think the Epworth people are quite comfortable that it's in the hands of (club doctor) Dr Greg Hickey, who's been all over the situation from day one.

"Our fitness staff are fantastic in that area. They know what to look for, and I think 'Polly' himself is pretty aware of his situation. He knows, he's very clear about when he's tired and when he needs a break."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/polak-cleared-for-comeback/2009/02/04/1233423312971.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak to stay on senior list (RFC)
« Reply #190 on: March 04, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
Polak to stay on senior list
richmondfc.com.au
By Luke Holmesby 3:43 PM Wed 04 March, 2009

RICHMOND has shelved plans to move defender Graham Polak to its long-term injury list after naming him to play against St Kilda in Friday night's NAB Challenge match in Shepparton.

It was in December that the Tigers sought to rookie-list Polak, who was nearing six months' recovery from a tram accident that left him with serious head injuries.

Club officials were unsure whether he would ever return to elite-level football.

When the AFL rejected Richmond's request, Polak was expected to see out 2009 on the long-term injury list.

But after an impressive couple of weeks on the track, football operations manager Ross Monaghan said the club was likely to keep him on the senior list and available for selection.

"We would think that unless he regresses pretty dramatically we would not be going down that line because his recovery has staggered us," Monaghan said.

"We would expect now that given the run he’s had in recent weeks that it is most likely he will play some footy. At what level will be determined in weeks to come but Friday night will give us some indication."

Polak will only play part of the match in Shepparton and Monaghan said the Tigers would carefully monitor his time on the field.

"There will be no hard and fast rule for him," Monaghan said. "It depends on how he feels during the course of the game.

"Our medical staff are terrific at monitoring that and Graham knows himself really well now."

Though Polak’s recovery has exceeded expectations, Monaghan would not reveal when fans could expect his permanent return to the line-up.

"No one is interested in putting a timeline on him because it is a week to week situation," Monaghan said.

"We will just see how he feels next week and what he does the following week will be determined by how he gets through this weekend’s game."

http://richmondfc.com.au/AFL2008/News/Article/tabid/6301/default.aspx?newsid=72846

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Polak to stay on senior list (RFC)
« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »
Thats really good for Polak, good luck mate lets hope you come through it all.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
Re: Polak to stay on senior list (RFC)
« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2009, 08:24:08 PM »
onya poleaxe  :clapping
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
St Kilda will do Graham Polak no favours (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2009, 02:20:12 AM »
St Kilda will do Graham Polak no favours
Mark Stevens | March 05, 2009

ST KILDA will treat Richmond's Graham Polak like any other opponent when he makes his comeback tomorrow night.

Although the Saints are thrilled to see the Tiger back in senior football 252 days after his brush with death, he'll receive no favours.

"The opposition are the opposition, no matter who it is," St Kilda football manager Greg Hutchison said yesterday.

"I don't know what goes through players' minds once they get on the field, but I'd imagine our blokes would be concentrating on what they need to do."

Polak was yesterday selected in a 27-man squad to take on the Saints in a 7pm practice match at Shepparton's Deakin Reserve.

He is likely to play forward and the club plans to give him 50 to 60 per cent of game time.

It won't be the first time Polak has played against "real" opposition since suffering a severe brain injury when hit by a tram on June 28.

The 24-year-old played for Coburg against Collingwood in a VFL practice match at the weekend.

It followed a low-key performance in a Richmond intraclub match at Gosch's Paddock last month.

Polak has continued to stun the Tigers with his progress.

"If you had said to him a couple of months ago this is where he would be at, he and others would have been surprised," Richmond football manager Ross Monaghan said.

"He is well ahead of schedule. He just keeps surprising us."

Monaghan said Polak showed some positive signs in his VFL hitout.

"He took a few marks and is getting more involved in the play," Monaghan said.

"He's really enjoying being out there at the moment.

"He is starting to put it together piece by piece."

But the Tigers won't be driven to predict when Polak could resume playing at non-practice senior level.

"We'll see how he progresses. We're not putting any pressure on him," Monaghan said.

"He's happy to be out there. Where it goes from here is anyone's guess.

"We'll keep playing him in bits and pieces."

Polak was placed in an induced coma after the accident and was in hospital for more than a month.

Richmond sought, but was refused, special permission from the AFL Commission to rookie-list Polak in December as his playing future remained uncertain.

The application followed similar lines to what Essendon did with Adam Ramanauskas when the former Bomber was recovering from cancer.

Polak played 40 minutes of an intraclub practice match on February 5, but was overshadowed by Ben Cousins' first appearance in yellow and black.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25140364-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Injured Graham Polak returns for Richmond Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2009, 02:21:59 AM »
Injured Graham Polak returns for Richmond Tigers
Michael Warner and Grant McArthur | March 05, 2009

GRAHAM Polak will take a giant step in his miraculous comeback when he plays in his first AFL practice match tomorrow night.

Polak will be in the Richmond team that takes on St Kilda in Shepparton - 252 days after suffering severe brain injuries when hit by a tram.

He will wear a helmet and play about 60 per cent of the match.

Polak's proud mum Judy last night said she was nervous but thrilled.

"I think it's wonderful," she said.

"His health is far more important to me than playing football. That comes first, but if he can play again I'm rapt."

Alfred hospital neurosurgeon John McMahon said Polak had been one of his most determined patients.

"I've never seen anyone more motivated to get back into things," he said.

"He was really working hard on his co-ordination, so if there is anyone that is going to get back to it he will.

"If you are going for the ball and someone is going to take your head off you have to have good judgment.

"He's far enough down the track now that if he took a collision it wouldn't be any worse than it would be for any other guy."

Polak, 24, was thrown several metres after being hit while crossing Dandenong Rd in Armadale on June 28 last year. He was put in an induced coma and spent four weeks in hospital.

Despite the former No. 4 draft pick still suffering short-term memory loss and occasional balance problems, medicos cleared him to play after solid hitouts for Richmond's VFL affiliate side, Coburg, in recent weeks.

It promises to be football's most emotional night since the triumphant 2003 return of Jason McCartney from horrific burns suffered in the Bali bombing.

Polak's brother, Troy, said Graham had emerged as a better man from the near-fatal accident.

"Football is not the be-all and end-all (for him) now," Troy said.

"He just seems far more appreciative of everything that is going on around him.

"It's great that he's back playing, but I'm more relieved that he's upbeat and happy about his life."

It's not clear if Polak will be moved on to Richmond's long-term injury list or push for senior selection when the 2009 AFL season starts on March 26.

"It's much sooner than expected. He's not entirely back to being 100 per cent by any means," Richmond football operations manager Ross Monaghan said yesterday.

"(But) he's at the stage where everyone is quite comfortable for him to have a run around against quality opposition."

Richmond cheer squad president David Norman said Polak's recovery had been remarkable.

"It's a wonderful thing. The bloke is an absolute inspiration," Mr Norman said.

"I'm just rapt to see him up and about and getting back to a normal life."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25140089-2862,00.html