Author Topic: Polak thread [merged]  (Read 39099 times)

richmondrules

Injured Polak leaves hospital
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2008, 11:19:47 AM »
Injured Polak leaves hospital

Tom Arup, Julia Medew | July 4, 2008 - 10:33AM

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2008/07/04/1214951002746.html

Richmond defender Graham Polak has been discharged from hospital, just days since emerging from a coma after being hit by a tram.

Polak, who spent several days in an induced coma after suffering head injuries during the accident early on Sunday morning, was transferred to Epworth Rehabilitation Centre this morning.

A Richmond Football Club spokesman said while there had been no "real change" in Polak's condition the move was a positive step in his recovery.

"He is talking a bit more and recognising people a bit more," the spokesman said.

He said Polak had recognised his girlfriend and responded to coach Terry Wallace's voice after waking from an induced coma on Monday.

The spokesman said Polak tired easily and visitor numbers were being "scaled back to give him his space".

"The whole playing group has not gone in there at once but a few at a time and members of the senior leadership group have been there a fair bit," he said.

The spokesman said it was not known how long Polak would spend at the Epworth.

"He is not going to be there a couple of days," he said.

"He's going to be there a while ... it's going to be a long process".

Tigers president Gary March met with the Polak family at The Alfred hospital on Wednesday morning.

"Graham still has a very long way to go in his recovery," Mr March said.

"However, the club remains optimistic and we have been buoyed by the support of our supporters and also the general community."

The club has received more than 600 messages of support for Polak and his family.

Polak suffered brain bruising when he was hit by the tram while crossing Dandenong Road in the Melbourne suburb of Armadale.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Polak in Coma after being hit be tram
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »
Still early days but great news that Polly has progressed to rehab at Epworth. I've actually been inside the big rehab room there (as a visitor) and it's not for the squeamish. People with rods and braces sticking in them. Most from road accidents. The staff there do a great job so Polly is in the best hands :clapping
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak was unaware of visit from Freo teammates (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2008, 05:40:10 AM »
Graham Polak was unaware of visit from Freo teammates
Jay Clark | July 06, 2008

RICHMOND'S Graham Polak did not recognise close mates Heath Black and Stephen Dodd when they visited him in hospital this week.

Polak, 24, was unable to open his eyes or identify friends and family after Black and Dodd made a rushed trip to visit their seriously injured former teammate.

Black described his shock at seeing Polak's condition less then 36 hours after he was struck by a tram near his Armadale home.

"He's got up, but he still has his eyes shut and he doesn't really acknowledge that anyone's there," Black said on Perth radio this week.

"But he does know what he is doing, so it's quite a weird scenario, but at least he's moving and making some sort of recovery.

"I felt a lot happier to see him, without all the tubes and stuff in him."

A gravely concerned Black and Dodd rushed from Perth after Fremantle's four-point loss to Essendon on Sunday to be by Polak's side.

Related LinksChris missed: A tale of two Eagles
The pair were among a select few who were able to visit the key position player as he recovered from head trauma and severe amnesia.

"It was obviously a fairly traumatic time for all the boys who are friends with 'Polly'," Black said.

"He was in a fetal position sleeping. It was quite an ironic experience because it looked like you could give him a tap and say, 'c'mon mate, wake up, let's go', but that wasn't the case."

Polak has made good progress, being shifted to the Epworth Rehabilitation Centre on Friday.

Polak, who has played 105 AFL games including 73 at Fremantle, will not play football again this season.

Black said helmets should not be made compulsory for players as fears escalate about the rate of head injuries.

He insisted clubs needed to treat head trauma cases, on and off the field, seriously.

"I know after the Collingwood game when I was concussed I was doing all sorts of outrageous stuff in the changerooms," he said.

"The boys were laughing and there was plenty of banter and I was laughing along with them.

"But I didn't know what I was doing, it's a really serious situation."

Richmond officials were still unsure how long he would stay at the Epworth.

His girlfriend, Alyce Oksuz, said on Thursday Polak would be buoyed by the flood of support from fans.

"The Polak family and myself have been overwhelmed with the well-wishers across Australia," Oksuz said.

"Graham will be really grateful for all the support from the football community and public in general.

"I would especially like to thank the Alfred hospital and Richmond Football Club for their heartfelt care.

"We have been amazed and blown away at the cards, emails and flowers from everyone, especially the young Tiger fans."

The defender was on his way to see Oksuz at a nightclub when he was struck by a tram last Saturday night, suffering serious brain injuries.

More than 1000 messages have been posted on the Richmond Football Club website paying tribute to Polak.

There was no change in Polak's condition yesterday.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23975164-19742,00.html

Offline Sauce

• i wish i was
  • Premiership Captain
  • Ohhh must of eaten a bad curry!
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »
shame no impprovement but he sounds from everything ive heard to be improving everyday with every little thing he does i really hope he gets well soon for his family and everybody that loves him  :gotigers
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:53:01 AM by sauce »

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2008, 10:29:06 AM »
Kind of a weird report to be mentioning he hadn't improved but using an example of something that happened not long after he was woken from the coma.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2008, 06:12:28 PM »

Lets hope he gets the space he needs from everyone - particularly the media once he is well enough (all going well) to go home.  Vermin like Hutchy will probably camp outside his house when he gets discharged.  Remember when he took the same flight as Cousins when he went for rehab in the states. A disgrace.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
Latest update on Polak from the RFC.... (courtesy of SEN)

* Memory recall has improved. He remembers now some of the Carlton game.
* Quite some time though before he recovers.
* Club has received 1500 messages. Wallace has delivered them to Polak.
* Polak doing okay with the physio and exercise. He's also sleeping well at night.
* Not sure how long Polak will be in rehab at Epworth hospital.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak's memory improving (RFC)
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2008, 03:40:07 PM »
Polak's memory improving
richmondfc.com.au
Mon 07 July, 2008

GRAHAM Polak continues to make progress in his recovery after being hit by a tram nine days ago, with Richmond issuing a statement on Monday afternoon that said the 24-year-old's memory recall "had improved".

Polak has started to recall aspects of the June 28 afternoon game against Carlton, which was the day of his accident.

Coach Terry Wallace said he was "extremely pleased" to see the progress Polak had made since the middle of last week, when he visited the key position player in hospital.

“He still has a long way to go, but he is getting back to being the old Graham we all know," Wallace said.

Richmond club doctor Greg Hickey said: “Graham continues to maintain his improvement. He has been undertaking regular physio and exercise and he is sleeping well at night.”

It is unclear how long Polak will remain at the Epworth Rehabilitation Centre, and it is still expected his recovery process will be lengthy.

Richmond has now received over 1500 messages of support for Polak and his family, with Wallace and director of football Greg Miller delivering some of those messages to Polak today.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=62814

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak improvement 'amazing': Wallace (RFC)
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2008, 06:26:51 PM »
Polak improvement 'amazing': Wallace
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Tue 08 July, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says he's amazed at how much Graham Polak has improved in the last week.

The young key defender was hit by a tram after the loss to Carlton and was rushed to hospital with head injuries, but since then has progressed from intensive care at the Alfred Hospital though a normal ward to now being at Epworth Rehabilitation Centre.

"The Graham Polak situation's been disappointing for everyone at the football club and he's part of the family," Wallace said.

"I went and saw him last week, and I really worried – as a layman speaking – about quality of life, let alone anything to do with football.

"But I went back in yesterday and saw him, and the difference between where he was mid-week last week and how he was yesterday, greeting me, shaking my hand, was just fantastic.

"I've really had a spring in my step for the last 24 hours, I'm just so pleased that he's come a long way.

"Look, he's got a long long long way still to go, but geez, the boy that I saw yesterday was Polly – that was the boy who's been with us for the last months.

"From our side of things it's almost buoyant – he's starting to show some really pleasing signs.

"He's still confused with a few bits and pieces along the way, and there's still some missing parts to the jigsaw puzzle, but certainly he's come a long long long way."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=62895

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2008, 01:02:51 AM »
heartening to hear  :thumbsup :clapping :gotigers
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Graham Polak buoys Tigers' coach Terry' Wallace's hopes (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2008, 02:36:24 AM »
A little bit info in the Herald-Sun

Graham Polak buoys Tigers' coach Terry' Wallace's hopes
AAP | July 09, 2008

"He [Polak] was speaking about events of Saturday week ago . . . (former captain) Bruce Monteath has a strong WA connection, he knew he'd spoken to Bruce at the function.

"I am a heck of a lot more optimistic on a full recovery now than I was, but he's still got a fair way to go."

Jay Schulz is Polak's likely replacement for Sunday's clash with West Coast at Subiaco.

Wallace said Cleve Hughes, who, along with teammate Jordan McMahon, was with Polak when he was hit by the tram as he crossed Dandenong Rd at the Orrong Rd intersection, was emotionally affected by the incident but would be right to play against the Eagles.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23991521-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cleve Hughes to visit Polak (Age)
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2008, 02:56:57 AM »
Polak health improves and Tigers now seek to heal mental scars
Chloe Saltau | July 9, 2008

CLEVE Hughes yesterday was expected to visit Richmond teammate Graham Polak for the first time since seeing him hit by a tram, and club officials believe the young forward's emotional health has improved enough for him to play against West Coast on Sunday.

The club has gone to great lengths to care for Hughes and Jordan McMahon, the two players who were with Polak at the time, and were particularly concerned about Hughes, 21, who is understood to have been badly traumatised by the experience.

However, the young South Australian, who has been a great improver up forward this season with Matthew Richardson roaming further afield, told Wallace during a training session at Punt Road yesterday that he felt strong enough to visit Polak, who recognised the coach on Monday and shook his hand, and recalled some conversations from the Tigers' centenary function on the night he was injured. In particular, Polak remembered speaking to former Richmond captain Bruce Monteath at the gala dinner.

"Cleve is going to see him (Polak) today, now that he is on the improve. Most of the players have been asked not to go and see him up until this point because he was tiring very, very quickly and getting almost confused in the initial stages of meeting and greeting so many people," said Wallace.

"I went and saw him last week, mid-week, and I was really worried about quality of life, let along anything to do with football. But I went back in yesterday and saw him and the difference between where he was mid-week last week and how he was, greeting me and shaking my hand yesterday, was just fantastic. I have really had a spring in my step the last 24 hours, just so pleased he has come a long way. He has a long, long way to go, but geez, the boy I saw yesterday was 'Polly'."

Both Hughes and McMahon have received counselling through the AFL Players Association and from club psychologist Kim Stephens, and it will not become clear how the players have coped with the trauma until they run out against the Eagles at Subiaco on Sunday.

"It's a pretty traumatic shock for anyone to see one of your mates seriously hurt and bowled over like that," Wallace said. All players have been kept up to date with developments in Polak's health with regular text messages, the tone of which have been more optimistic in the past two days.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/polaks-health-improves/2008/07/08/1215282835336.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers set to pep up hurt Polak (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2008, 02:56:51 AM »
Tigers set to pep up hurt Polak
Jackie Epstein | July 13, 2008

RICHMOND players will this week begin visiting recovering teammate Graham Polak, with captain Kane Johnson revealing the incident had galvanised the group.

Johnson said the shock was subsiding with news Polak's condition was improving after he suffered serious brain injuries when hit by a tram on June 28.

"Obviously he's feeling a lot better which is a positive," the captain said.

"We just decided as a group we'd let him go for a couple of weeks. Just his immediate family and a couple of his real close mates have been in there, because if we all bombard him at once it's just too hard for him.

"We just need him to get right first and then we'll slowly work our way in there, one by one, or in small groups.

"When you have such a dramatic incident, it doesn't matter what type of thing it is, there's no doubt it actually brings the group closer together.

"We've had a few experiences along the way and they've all been terrific. For such a young group, to be so supportive, it's a real positive."

Polak is on the mend at the Epworth Rehabilitation Centre since coming out of an induced coma.

It is expected he will remain there for a few more weeks.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24009370-19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2008, 07:52:37 PM »
Good on the Tiges. They did it for Polly  :clapping. It would be great news if he was able to see even some of it on the tellie.

Of his two best mates, Cleve was quiet but Jordie had his best game at the club.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2008, 08:12:17 PM »
Jordy's interview after the game was sensational, especially in reference to Graham Polak still owing him a meal.

I am sure that Graham will have a smile on his face tonight and I bet the boys can't wait to get in to see him and share some highlights with him.  :cheers