Author Topic: Polak thread [merged]  (Read 39146 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Polak thread [merged]
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2009, 10:48:21 PM »
Hutchy said Polak is unlikely to play AFL this year.

I hope that at least means that we'll keep him on for next year
If he's improved this much in 12 months, imagine another 7-8 before the start of the 2010 season

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2009, 11:36:53 PM »
Hutchy said Polak is unlikely to play AFL this year.

I hope that at least means that we'll keep him on for next year
If he's improved this much in 12 months, imagine another 7-8 before the start of the 2010 season
Polly's out of contract though. I would've thought he would've needed to have got back to playing AFL even if it was just one game for him to get another contract to go on. Speaking to those who watch Coburg it's heart in the mouth stuff when he gets cleaned up. He's too brave for his own good sometimes. It's a miracle that he is able to function normally again let alone play a full-on collision sport like footy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #227 on: July 24, 2009, 02:06:24 AM »
Polly's out of contract though. I would've thought he would've needed to have got back to playing AFL even if it was just one game for him to get another contract to go on. Speaking to those who watch Coburg it's heart in the mouth stuff when he gets cleaned up. He's too brave for his own good sometimes. It's a miracle that he is able to function normally again let alone play a full-on collision sport like footy.
How is it Polak's fault that spectators are scared he'll hurt himself again? Clearly Graeme isn't.
If there was any further chance of him getting further brain damage he wouldn't be allowed to play by the doctors.
Every player is a chance of getting their head injured, just ask Chris Hyde.
If he's playing good football then give him a chance to prove he still has it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak's miracle return to form after tram accident (Australian)
« Reply #228 on: July 24, 2009, 02:45:10 AM »
Polak's miracle return to form after tram accident
Greg Denham | July 24, 2009 | The Australian

RICHMOND'S Graham Polak may not play at the elite level again, but continues to make amazing progress from his near-fatal accident in June last year.

Even if he fails to again rise to the top grade, he is certainly the feelgood story of the year.

The form of Polak, 25, in the VFL over the past fortnight has been nothing short of a miracle, according to Richmond officials.

Just on 12 months since being hit by a tram in the Melbourne suburb of Armadale and being close to death, the Tigers believe Polak is giving himself every chance to prove he is capable of playing senior football again and adding to his 106 games.

Richmond general manager of football operations Craig Cameron yesterday described Polak's improved condition as being "further than what we expected", given the severity of his accident.

"He's come a long way," Cameron said.

"His recovery has been quite a remarkable achievement".

Polak comes out of contract at the end of the season, and while he is unlikely to be re-contracted, Richmond has yet to rule him out of its future plans.

He was in a critical but stable condition at the Alfred Hospital after being put in an induced coma following his freak accident, which left him with severe bruising to his brain but fortunately no extra swelling.

Club doctor Greg Hickey said at the time he was concerned for Polak's intellectual recovery because of the bruising.

Surgeons were unclear whether or not he would suffer permanent brain damage.

Polak's accident was so grim, teammates Cleve Hughes and Jordan McMahon, who were in his company at the time following a match against Carlton, needed trauma counselling.

Just days after coming out of his coma, Polak was able to walk a few steps, and though quite confused, was aware he was in hospital.

After being transferred to the Epworth rehabilitation unit, Polak again responded positively to treatment, this time for his post-traumatic amnesia.

There were signs of his rapid progress early this year during the pre-season, but the initial media interest in Polak, in conjunction with the arrival of Ben Cousins, did not include some of Polak's impediments.

The Tigers noted that his timing was out, his reaction and coordination were well down on what was required of AFL players, and he struggled with his sight, especially when playing under lights.

But after spending most of the early part of the season playing moderately in the VFL reserves, his awareness and coordination has improved enormously in recent weeks.

Cameron believes that a recent knock on the head, which concussed the former Fremantle player, actually worked in his favour.

"He probably got a lot of his confidence back, knowing that he made a quick and full recovery from the whack," Cameron said.

Polak has been back in the seniors at VFL level for a few weeks and two games ago was excellent in the ruck, then followed it up equally well at centre half-back the following weekend.

His next biggest test will be to hold down a key forward position for Coburg in consecutive weeks.

"His marking's back, his timing is back and there is no doubt he's playing with more confidence," Cameron said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25826844-2722,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #229 on: July 24, 2009, 09:26:27 PM »
How is it Polak's fault that spectators are scared he'll hurt himself again? Clearly Graeme isn't.
If there was any further chance of him getting further brain damage he wouldn't be allowed to play by the doctors.
Every player is a chance of getting their head injured, just ask Chris Hyde.
If he's playing good football then give him a chance to prove he still has it.
That's true about fans Infamy but I don't think Polly is in the same bracket as any other player as far copping another head injury. He is wearing a helmet for a reason. Great to hear he's gained heaps of confidence from that heavy whack he copped at Coburg because I was told he was quite shook up at the moment it happened while he was lying on the ground. I still think though it'll be hard to see him get another contract without playing an AFL game in the next 6 weeks unless of course we get special dispensation from the AFL to place him on the rookie list. With 7 rookie spots available next year it's a option the club should consider again if we want to keep him. That way we don't sacrifice a spot on our senior list if he never plays AFL again.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #230 on: July 24, 2009, 09:44:37 PM »
The helmet is there for his confidence, not for medical reasons. If he needs a helmet to be ok medically to play then there is no way possible he'd be allowed on the field. No doctor in their right mind would allow that.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #231 on: July 24, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »
The helmet is there for his confidence, not for medical reasons. If he needs a helmet to be ok medically to play then there is no way possible he'd be allowed on the field. No doctor in their right mind would allow that.
The helmet would also be for partly medical reasons surely as well as confidence. I'm not saying he shouldn't be playing at all but I would've thought no way the doctors would've let him play again without a helmet. Suffering multiple concussions is dangerous let alone copping a concussion after coming back from a brain injury. The helmet would help protect him from copping severe concussion if he gets whacked in the head.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #232 on: July 24, 2009, 10:46:13 PM »
If he still has bruising of/damage to the brain then he shouldn't be playing at all
If he doesn't have any then I don't see what the difference is

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #233 on: July 24, 2009, 11:09:38 PM »
If he still has bruising of/damage to the brain then he shouldn't be playing at all
If he doesn't have any then I don't see what the difference is
Fair enough Infamy. I just thought it was used as a preventive measure against him copping severe concussion if he gets whacked in the head.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak may return to seniors (Age)
« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2009, 11:46:15 PM »
Polak may return to seniors
Jesse Hogan | August 6, 2009

RICHMOND’S biggest gun, Matthew Richardson, will be watching from the sidelines for the rest of the year — and its youngest gun, Trent Cotchin, is about to join him. But their absence should be softened by the triumphant return of Graham Polak to senior football before the end of the season.

The former Fremantle defender has not played senior football since he was struck by a tram 13 months ago, after which he was put into an induced coma due to swelling on his brain. Yet it is believed his sustained good form with Coburg will almost certainly translate into a return to the seniors — and not simply as a sentimental ‘‘farewell’’ game.

Coburg general manager Ryan O’Connor did not speculate on the chances of Polak getting an AFL recall but said the club ‘‘couldn’t be happier with his progress’’.

‘‘He’s obviously a big bloke who can go back with the flight of the ball and take some terrific marks, and everything else like that is going to be very well-sought-after at VFL level,’’ O’Connor said.

‘‘The boys have really loved having him around. He’s a really good young fella and he’s really added to our playing list in the time he’s been here.’’

Polak’s likely return is timely for him, as he is out of contract with Richmond at the end of the season.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/richo-cotchin-gone-polak-may-return/2009/08/05/1249350592707.html

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2009, 09:44:03 AM »
would be great to see him get a game but the reputation risk the club takes in playing him if he's injured again - even if it's completely unrelated - would be huge. with the scrutiy the club medicos have been under this year would be a very brave decision.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #236 on: August 06, 2009, 09:53:16 AM »
would be great to see him get a game but the reputation risk the club takes in playing him if he's injured again - even if it's completely unrelated - would be huge. with the scrutiy the club medicos have been under this year would be a very brave decision.

he has played footy all yr, sure its vfl, but its still footy, if he is in form and fit, he should be selected. the fact he is playing and has all yr suggests he is recovered and has had the go ahead by all concerned, if something does happen , its not the rfc fault, he was the one who was too stuffing stupid to look left and right and left and right again. thats life , poo happens and then u move on

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2009, 10:09:16 AM »
he was the one who was too effing stupid to look left and right and left and right again. thats life , poo happens and then u move on

I hope you dont wonder why you receive abusive mail otherwise it would be your intellectual capacity that should be in question.  Actually now that I think about it your intellectual capacity isnt in question at all, it is known or as someone else would say a FACT.

I don't know the actual facts of the situation bit I am not sure if his intellectual capacity was the reason for the accident, he may have been distracted at the time of crossing or some other explanation.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2009, 11:48:06 AM »
While I like the romantic notion of Polak returning from a life threatening injury to become a 'crucial part of our future success' I just can't see it happening. Firstly where would you play him and who would he replace? IS he playing better than McGuane, Thursfield or Moore? Should he claim the spot of Riewoldt, Post or Vickery? I just believe, even if he was at full fitness, that he would struggle to fight his way back into the side at the moment.

I'm sorry to say but if we retain him it would be more through sympathetic reasons than professional ones.

Wish I thought differently but its hard to see it from any other way

Stripes

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Polak may return to seniors (Age)
« Reply #239 on: August 06, 2009, 12:05:12 PM »
Polak may return to seniors
Jesse Hogan | August 6, 2009

RICHMOND’S biggest gun, Matthew Richardson, will be watching from the sidelines for the rest of the year — and its youngest gun, Trent Cotchin, is about to join him. But their absence should be softened by the triumphant return of Graham Polak to senior football before the end of the season.

The former Fremantle defender has not played senior football since he was struck by a tram 13 months ago, after which he was put into an induced coma due to swelling on his brain. Yet it is believed his sustained good form with Coburg will almost certainly translate into a return to the seniors — and not simply as a sentimental ‘‘farewell’’ game.

Coburg general manager Ryan O’Connor did not speculate on the chances of Polak getting an AFL recall but said the club ‘‘couldn’t be happier with his progress’’.

‘‘He’s obviously a big bloke who can go back with the flight of the ball and take some terrific marks, and everything else like that is going to be very well-sought-after at VFL level,’’ O’Connor said.

‘‘The boys have really loved having hHe’s a really good young fella and he’s really added to our playing list in the time he’s been here.’’im around.
Polak’s likely return is timely for him, as he is out of contract with Richmond at the end of the season.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/richo-cotchin-gone-polak-may-return/2009/08/05/1249350592707.html

This sentence sounds to me like they may be giving him a farewell game, as they should.

Oh to be as clever as TTII  :wallywink you're a friggin goose!