Author Topic: Should one of our rookies be now promoted?  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Should one of our rookies be now promoted?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 03:07:24 PM »
when will we ever learn.

NO MORE TRADES.

simple as that... im sick of trading away draft picks for duds.

we should be trading our players out of punt road not bringing duds in..

lets start with Schulz, JON, pathetic pettifer and one of newy or tambling..

time for hard decisions to be made not bringing more list cloggers to Punt road
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 10:59:04 PM »
just wandering with rookies if another club wants them are they allowed to go?
Nah other clubs can't touch them unless they are delisted first.

Howat has been a rookie for 3 years :P so he'll be cut. Cartledge, Silvester and Collard are in their first year so any of them can be kept for another year if we want to.

Cartledge would be my choice if we promote a rookie. We should get Thursty and McGuane back in our defence after the break so the need is in the ruck. I don't think that would be a mark against Gus as he missed a lot of the preseason so it's no harm if he plays full games as #1 ruck at Coburg at this stage. He's only 21 which is still young for a ruckman.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 11:41:23 PM »
Howat has been a rookie for 3 years :P so he'll be cut. Cartledge, Silvester and Collard are in their first year so any of them can be kept for another year if we want to.
Im pretty sure that's not quite true as Silvestor & Cartledge will both be too old for the rookie list next year. They will both also have been on a rookie list before so aren't eligible for the mature rookie list either.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »
when will we ever learn.

NO MORE TRADES.

Mitch Morton?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2008, 06:11:57 AM »

Im pretty sure that's not quite true as Silvestor & Cartledge will both be too old for the rookie list next year. They will both also have been on a rookie list before so aren't eligible for the mature rookie list either.
Cartledge was on Essendon's senior list for 4 years (pick 28 in 2002) for 7 games. Under the current rules (which stopped Richmond from mature age rookie listing James Podsiadly because he had been previously rookied at Ess and Coll, even though he played zero senior games) this is Cartledge's first and last year as a rookie.

I don't think Silvester has been at another AFL club. If that's the case, he is eligible to be a mature age rookie next year (max of one per club).

For the reasons already put forward in this topic, plus he was first ruck for the Victorian VFL team, I'd vote for Cartledge to be promoted if anyone is going to be.

I'm hoping Collard gets another go on the rookie list next year. I think if he gets it all together that he can be something special.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 06:43:12 AM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2008, 07:35:29 AM »
I don't think Silvester has been at another AFL club. If that's the case, he is eligible to be a mature age rookie next year (max of one per club).
This could be a grey area, he's been on our rookie list before, so not sure if that means he can stay on as a mature aged rookie, or he's ineligible. Either way I don't think it matters, I'd be very surprised if we kept him.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2008, 01:42:26 PM »
when will we ever learn.

NO MORE TRADES.

Mitch Morton?

fair point!!!

Mitch has been a valuable asset to our club.

Im a massive wrap for this kid and our forward line must be built around him an Cleve
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »
This could be a grey area, he's been on our rookie list before, so not sure if that means he can stay on as a mature aged rookie, or he's ineligible. Either way I don't think it matters, I'd be very surprised if we kept him.
I agree it might not matter.
I'm positive he hasn't been on Richmond's rookie list before, though. Some people, including me, were quite surprised that he wasn't rookied for last season.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2008, 05:58:56 PM »
He hasn't been on any other rookie lists prior to this year, but I don't think you can go straight from a rookie list to be a mature age rookie. I think you have to be drafted as a mature aged rookie. It's very possible that the fact he is on our rookie list this year will stop him from being eligible as he's now been on an AFL list (rookie or senior) before.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »
Now I get where you're coming from.  :)

Hadn't thought of that. Would be pretty mean spirited by the AFL is it was the case.

Offline Sauce

• i wish i was
  • Premiership Captain
  • Ohhh must of eaten a bad curry!
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2008, 11:08:33 AM »
lol @ howat being unvoted so far he's a shocker.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2008, 06:15:02 PM »
You're right I completely forgot about how old they were. So as FF said this is Cartledge's first and last year as a rookie.

It seems Silvester is still eligible to be listed as a mature-age rookie next year ...

Players who have not yet made their AFL debut, but may previously have been on a senior or rookie list, will now be eligible to be listed as mature-age rookies.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/grandstand/2008/04/changes-to-afl.html

So going by that Cartledge would be more likely to be promoted now as Silvester making his debut this year would then make him ineligible to become a mature-age rookie in 2009.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2008, 06:25:39 PM »
Ok, that must have been the rule they changed at the end of the year to make it a little less strict.
Pretty sure it didn't use to be that way, that's why we were looking to draft that kid from SA (?... can't remember his name either), but couldn't as a mature aged rookie even though he'd never played a game of AFL before but had been on another teams list (kangaroos?)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2008, 06:55:16 PM »
Ok, that must have been the rule they changed at the end of the year to make it a little less strict.
Pretty sure it didn't use to be that way, that's why we were looking to draft that kid from SA (?... can't remember his name either), but couldn't as a mature aged rookie even though he'd never played a game of AFL before but had been on another teams list (kangaroos?)
I think we couldn't draft Pods because he had been on an AFL list previously. Jeremy Clayton from Port Adelaide Magpies (ex-Kangaroo) injured his spleen in a collision during an SANFL game with about a month to go in the season so that ended his chances. 

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2008, 10:47:05 PM »
That sounds about right to me, your memory is better than mine