Author Topic: Spud on Footy Show panel  (Read 3917 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Spud on Footy Show panel
« on: August 26, 2004, 09:46:23 PM »
Brought up again that it has been hard with a new coach coming in with 3 weeks to go.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
Re: Spud on Footy Show panel
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 10:55:24 PM »
Please please lets boo the sh$t out of him when he is walking off for the last time....
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

froars

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 11:02:09 PM »
We all make choices in life - he decided to stay on and finish the year - he should just live with it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 11:06:38 PM »
Danny said Bowden will play on Barry Hall.

Eddie said if you don't win Danny you've got the wooden spoon. Danny then goes "well not necessarily Eddie. It all comes down to percentages". Positive to the very end Danny  ;D.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 02:15:27 AM »
Really the fellow just doesn't have a brain, fancy letting yourself be exploited by Eddie McGuire.
No one is feeling sorry for you Danny, if you'd done the job you were supposed to have done then you wouldn't be getting off loaded at seasons end. And to expect a club to wait until the seasons end to secure it's coach when in doing so might lose the opportunity to secure the best coach it can get because of other coaching opportunities, just so you can save face, I don't think so buddy.

2 days to go, thank Geez.

Well done Miller & co
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

RonBranton

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 10:53:02 AM »
I don't have any aggro towards Danny as I'm sure he tried his best, he just isn't up to it. He isn't comfortable in the media and uses a lot of cliches - says "obviously" and "I suppose" and uses too many motherhood phrases such as "going forward", etc. At least he seems to have dropped the "yeah-no"

He also doesn't face reality and seems incapable of accepting that the year has been an absolute disaster. It's one thing to try to put a positive spin on everything but ultimately the results are not there. 

I hope he gets a job in football if that's what he wants but I also hope that he isn't deluding himself with the "corporate offers" he has supposedly been receiving. I can't imagine where his strengths would be in the corporate world. 

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 11:20:15 AM »
I don't have any aggro towards Danny as I'm sure he tried his best...

I don’t either RonBranton, but he was frustrating at times.  It became clear through 2001 that he had a lot to learn as a coach if he was going to be a success at it, at this level.  Unfortunately, for him and the Club, he just didn’t seem to have the awareness of the job in front of him and the know how to take on such a task.

Add to that he had an administration that was of little or no help to him and we get the mediocre results produced.

He came in as a good bloke and leaves as one, but this is a job for those with a different edge to them.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 03:40:11 PM »

I have a lot of aggro to him. This club has bent over backwards for this dkhead. We have given him time and a support group and board support to grow into the job, and he leaves us with a wooden spoon.

There is not a thing this club has not given Frawley to succeed. He has been spoon fed with a silver plated shovel. We're paying players he picked and requested at our full salary cap, including players like Holland and Gaspar he begged to stay at enormous cost (400k and 500k respectively), and he leaves us with a $2m hole.

We drafted players he wanted like Sziller and Hudson. We even appointed assistants like Brittain for the purpose of relieving some of the pressure on Frawley.

I cannot think of one thing we have not done for this guy.

He is an idiot savvant. A lobotomised rainman. To the very last day he wanted to stay on as coach at the expense of the club and countless more wooden spoons. He has put himself above the club for the past 3 years. He has done everything to cling onto this job including finding one positive to spin to the supporters after every game we've lost. This also makes him dishonest.

He is a perennial loser that thinks the world is against him. He is not just dumb, but deaf and blind as well. He has not seen a scoreboard in 3 years, because listening to this guy, he'd want you to believe that everything was cherry ripe.

The only corporate job he's been offered is tv ads for cherry ripe. Or maybe someone wants him to ghost write a book with him titles "How to do everything wrong and still keep your job"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 03:50:00 PM »
He came in as a good bloke and leaves as one, but this is a job for those with a different edge to them.

Agree TS.

I don't have any angst against Danny either as a person but coaching involves a number of skills many of which Danny severly struggled with:

* people management - in terms of getting a group of individuals to perform together as a unit. Overrated our list and as a result placed too much faith in senior players that continued to fail him. Failure to punish senior players for below AFL standard performances (eg: took 5 years to drop Bowden).

* training - lack of drills that established a cohesive and instinctive style of play.    

* matchday planning - failure to come up with multiple and adjustable gameplans. Failure to see a plan through. Failure to react to momentum swings in a game.

* modern football strategy - eg: overreliance of Richo at FF and overpossession of the footy ::).  

* trading/drafting - overrated our list and so topped up with old duds.

* media savey - uncomfortable talking to the media. Regularly spoke in cliches or made ridiculous statements such as "un-Richmond like".

froars

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 03:53:37 PM »
I think you could say Danny is out of his depth in all aspects of being a footy coach  :(

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 04:12:35 PM »
Megala pragmata 1980....
brilliant post....Im just glad that others see the hole that the spud farmer has dug for us.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 04:25:10 PM »
There is not a thing this club has not given Frawley to succeed. He has been spoon fed with a silver plated shovel. We're paying players he picked and requested at our full salary cap, including players like Holland and Gaspar he begged to stay at enormous cost (400k and 500k respectively), and he leaves us with a $2m hole.

We drafted players he wanted like Sziller and Hudson. We even appointed assistants like Brittain for the purpose of relieving some of the pressure on Frawley.

That’s a lot of aggro you’ve got there 1980, which is understandable.

But it would probably be fair enough to say that the administration at the time was just as much to blame as Danny.  He didn’t know what he was doing and neither did they, otherwise such decisions would never have been made.  Not all of them anyway.  You would hope.  :help
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 04:54:15 PM »

Although I point the finger at Danny and his cohorts for the state of our list, the stupid trade and draft decisions, I can't blame him for the "$2m hole" that we face this season. The financial side of things is the responsibility of the board and the Club's administration not the coaching department.

But it would probably be fair enough to say that the administration at the time was just as much to blame as Danny.  He didn’t know what he was doing and neither did they, otherwise such decisions would never have been made.  Not all of them anyway.  You would hope.  :help

Exactly TS and haven't they proved it over the years  ::) I think it is fair to say that Danny didn't sign off the outsourcing of our events, Danny isn't to blame for the budgeting of unachievable revenue target. So the $2m loss we face is a team effort and sadly it is a very pathetic team effort at that :'(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 06:27:47 PM »

That’s a lot of aggro you’ve got there 1980, which is understandable.

Plenty of more aggro where that came from TS LOL

It was widely recognised within the club from day one of his appointment that he wasnt best choice, but that the decision was taken to give him time to grow into the job. He made a lot of early decisions the club backed him on including dropping players for incidents off the field (I think it was Daffy or Ottens getting dropped) and taking the captaincy from Knighter.

The club had hopes that given enough time, Danny Frawley would grow into the job. But you can take a horse to water, or in this case, a lame donkey that received one too many kicks to the head whilst trying to mate with a draught horse, but you cant make it drink.

The administration lost money but, Danny waltzing up to the doorstep of Holland and Gaspar and crying for them to stay and overpaying them top dollar, as well as overestimating and overpaying the rest of the playing list at full salary cap level makes up a lot of that $2m loss.

Offline 1980GFVideo

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 11:30:47 PM »
I prefer Shwabbs attitude of leaving after it became blatantly clear that he just didnt have any answers for the Hawks.

Mathews said he doesnt see the point of continuing at a club once it is established you wont be there next year and this has become so evident.

His after match comments wrapped up in those irritating chliches  including the endorsement of Donald McDonald last week have just rubbed salt into the wound.  Im angry that he has put his pride of finnishing the job ahead of what was best for us. His departure mid season.