Author Topic: Bowden's value  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Bowden's value
« on: July 12, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »
Fluffy mentioned on another thread that he would like to run an poll to see how we value Joel Bowden as a forum.

How would you rate Joel Bowden in terms of this year and into the future?

Stripes
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 01:06:57 PM by Stripes »

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
Re: Bowden's value
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:52:32 PM »
Actualy it was me that mentioned it but that doesnt matter. It was a simple yes/no one I was thinking of at the time but this is good too. Thanks for putting this up and dont forget to vote yourself Stripes.

I think he has plenty still to offer hence my vote for #2.

It will be interesting to see the feeling of the site.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 03:07:17 PM »
i think joel still has value as a footballer for our club. There are other senior players who need to go before he does.

Not that it matters to anyone but Joel is one of the nicest guys off the field that you will ever meet.

im a big fan and it wasn't too long ago before people were calling for richo's head. Where are those people now?HuhHuhHuh??

Richo and bowden are richmond people through and through and for that i respect them so much
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 03:24:50 PM »
Stripes, why does your much posted opinion need to be one of the poll options?  ???
Whether that option gets votes or doesn't get votes won't change that it's still just your opinion.

As for rating Joel Bowden into the future, you can't do that because it hasn't happened? You can only rate him on the past and the present.

I'm with Fluffy Tiger about the poll options - Yes, No & Not Sure. (Present tense only.)

If you're going to put up a poll about Joel Bowden's value then keep it at that and don't make it also into a poll about your opinion.

I voted for the second option because it's the only one that I agree with everything in it but it's only indicative of a small part of my opinion about Joel Bowden.

Fair enough poll.  :)  Tainted options to vote for.   :-\
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 04:53:26 PM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ox

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »
i think joel still has value as a footballer for our club. There are other senior players who need to go before he does.

Not that it matters to anyone but Joel is one of the nicest guys off the field that you will ever meet.

im a big fan and it wasn't too long ago before people were calling for richo's head. Where are those people now?HuhHuhHuh??

Richo and bowden are richmond people through and through and for that i respect them so much

Im happy for u.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »
The less said about Bowden the better but that is my opinion.
It is time for him to step aside. The sooner the better.

blx

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »
Has a wealth of experience in first grade and from that point of view he is very valuable but IMO it would be better if he was to share his knowledge from the sidelines or from Coburg.

My reasons are that i think he is showing more bad habits to juniors than good.

He is now too slow and will ALWAYS look for the easy option whereas the younger players are prepared to take the game on from the back half which is what Terry's gameplan is based on, Run n Carry NOT chip sideways and backwards.

Do we really want our juniors to learn these negative habits as OK?

Watch him today and see him get his easy disposals in the backline and he will more than likely take the easiest option sideways or backwards because he knows he does not have the pace to take the opposition on.

Also his already average closing ability has now been nullified by father time and he will ALWAYS get beaten by a leading player.

His only option (and it has been for a few years now) is to play loose and basically crumb/seagull/wander in the back half and pick up easy possessions like he did against PORT a few rounds back.

Very overated by the general public and lauded for luaded sakes after the match but in reality ... "Joel Bowden took 23 marks and had 39 disposals from half-back against Port Adelaide earlier this year, but did not get a single vote from either of the coaches", proving he just isnt a damaging player and doesnt hurt the opposition with all the possessions he gathers. Thats the reality of it.

Anyway he's a fantastic bloke and a genuine person, i respect his service to our club and his achievements in football but I cant stand watching his soft, easy possession style of play anymore, drives me absolutely crazy!

So on that note i cant wait for him to call it day and makes ways for a Connors/Collins/Casserly/Rance/Meyer take your pick. These kids are our future and we need to start giving them time at the coalface.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 11:21:42 AM by blx »

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »
Stripes, why does your much posted opinion need to be one of the poll options?  ???
Whether that option gets votes or doesn't get votes won't change that it's still just your opinion.

As for rating Joel Bowden into the future, you can't do that because it hasn't happened? You can only rate him on the past and the present.

I'm with Fluffy Tiger about the poll options - Yes, No & Not Sure. (Present tense only.)

If you're going to put up a poll about Joel Bowden's value then keep it at that and don't make it also into a poll about your opinion.

I voted for the second option because it's the only one that I agree with everything in it but it's only indicative of a small part of my opinion about Joel Bowden.

Fair enough poll.  :)  Tainted options to vote for.   :-\

I thought the categories were quite mixed and unbiased?! There is extreme options and progressive categories in between. I tried to make the poll as neutral as possible and left my personal opinion out of it. Obviously I didn't do a good enough job of that for your liking Fishy.

I could have created a poll which was just 'yes' and 'no' but I was hoping to get more out of the information that that type of poll would give me.

If you would prefer that it wouldn't take much to adapt the poll to that cut and dry format. My take would be that, currently, there is 7 yes vots and everyone else is a no.

What do you think? Good to hear you read my posts regardless Fishy even if you don't always agree with them  ;D

Stripes

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 02:53:28 PM »
I tried to make the poll as neutral as possible and left my personal opinion out of it.
Haha! The last option is a summary of your opinion from your last few posts on Bowden.

Option 3 doesn't count as yes or no.
Option 1 is ridiculous and insulting to everyone's intelligence.

Polls should be black and white. This one is grey and manipulated.
None of those options are my actual opinion.
If you want actual opinions, like you've managed to slip yours in, you'll need pages of options. There are discussion forums for that.

I hope you feel good about yourself if the poll goes the way you want. The results won't make anyone's opinion any more of a fact, though. It might be of interest as an indication about what site members think about Bowden's value but even that will be tainted because the questions are loaded.

And, no biggie that I read your posts, Stripes. I read everyone's posts.  :)
I actually can't think of any of your posts I've disagreed with other than the recent Bowden-bashing ones. Personal views are subjective and everyone sees things differently. I'm not sure why Joel gets under your skin like he does but I'm mighty amused by it. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:26:08 PM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 08:48:20 PM »
The fact that you're 'mighty amused' by my opinion of Bowden is mighty amusing  ;D

I won't feel 'good' regardless of which way the poll goes nor will it change mine or anyone elses opinion on the player but believe me when I tell you my intention when I created the poll was not to manipulate or taint the options presented. I admit the last category does mimic my own thoughts on the man and possibly elements of the second last options also but their is another three options there and they are not negative in nature.

The first option is an extreme just like the last option is also. The fact that you consider it 'rediculous and insulting to everyone's intelligence' speaks volumes about your and the other the most avid Bowden supporter's belief's. Joel could not fit into this category by anyone's ommission but their are many others in the team that certianly could. Bowden is in the team as much for his supposed 'leadership' and experience as his playing ability but, as this poll shows and is clear to everyone, he is not any sort of leader we need at our club and is a bad example to our younger players.

So Fishy....you read everyone's posts not just mine. I thought for one fleeting moment that I was special  :'(     :nopity  ;)   ;D

Stripes

Ox

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »
a player who
1- does 10 negatives
2- does 10 positives
3- ALWAYS CALLS FOR TEMPO FOOTY :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
4- the majority of possessions are uncontested CRAP.

F H O !

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 08:54:34 PM »
a player who
1- does 10 negatives
2- does 10 positives
3- ALWAYS CALLS FOR TEMPO FOOTY :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

F H O !

You should hear what he says about your music ox............... :rollin

Ox

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 08:58:41 PM »
a player who
1- does 10 negatives
2- does 10 positives

F H O !

LMAO

u should hear what i say about it.

I'll get back to you when i write a hit. :wallywink

jackstar

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 09:01:44 PM »
a player who
1- does 10 negatives
2- does 10 positives

F H O !

LMAO

I thought you had a hit, more Spin than Terry is our ox, lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 09:06:01 PM »
LMAO

Hit 'em with your best shot Ox....

That was a hit IIRC
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)