Author Topic: Who would you trade from your club?  (Read 1353 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who would you trade from your club?
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:18:54 AM »
Who would you trade from your club?
Mark Robinson blog | Herald-Sun | Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It’s that time of year when teams start thinking about next season. For the teams that aren’t in premiership contention, or are on the cusp of winning, it’s time for them to start thinking about improving their list.

So, who would you want to shift from your club? And what would you want in return?

--------------------------------
Guest - Kayne Pettifer, Chris Newman, Shane Tuck 

Robbo -  Pettifer might be in trouble anyway with his knee, but he can play and might be a handy pick up as a reserve forward for a better team, actually can't think of one right now that would take him. Tuck is staying, and you can't be serious about Newman 

Pete - Jay Schulz nearly went to Port Adelaide last year . The Tigers may look to trade given they have Rance , Putt and Gourdis as key positions coming through but it may depend on whether Polak makes it back . He may interest some clubs. 

Robbo -  He just may. The Tigers didn't trade him last year, even though he had played mainly VFL, and in recent weeks  has been steady in the ones. You're right, plenty will depend on Polak. I think they will keep him. He can play forward (just) and defence ( better than forward). 

Guest - trade Hyde, Tambling, Pattison? 

Robbo -  Hyde is a possibility, not a chance with Tambling and I'd keep Pattison. 

tiger man - how about andrew raines? like it was said before, jordy mcmahon seems to have taken his spot in the team. also, jay schulz may attract some interest from other clubs looking for a big tall player. 

Robbo -  Raines has had knee, hamstring issues, and I reckon is ideal for a trade. Has struggled since his first year 

nath - do you think jarrad oakley-nicholls would attract any attention from other clubs? any at all? 

Robbo -  No. sorry to be blunt

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/afl/ourteam/index.php/heraldsun/comments/live_chat_who_would_you_trade_from_your_club

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Who would you trade from your club?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »
The problem with trades is that you have to give up players that under normal circumstances you would wish to keep either becasue they are playing well, potentially could improve greatly or fill a role.

I think with trades it is all about trying to predict the future which is always guess work and unpredicatable at best. All you can do is go with past evidence, probabilities and 'gut feels' which as we know with drafts or trades, some work but most don't.

So IMHO I believe Hyde, Schulz, JON and Raines should be offered up for trades.

Hyde is a mid-age who still remains a good player without being great. He has proved to be a good tagger who pinches goals from time to time but has been overtaken by our more younger midfielders. We have planty of his type of player in our team but he still could be an asset to another team.

Schulz is someone I don't really want to lose. I think he has had a great year in defense, is improving all the time and who can pinch hit up forward if needed. In saying that though we seem to have a few players of his ilk in the team at present and with Rance and Gourdis possibility coming into the team as fast, tall, athletic defenders Jay might be less of a commodity. He was sought after last year and holds definite trade value.

JON has potential to be a good defender but is unlikely to be traded due to his average at best form to date.

Raines is a quick, in and under type who can play midfield or defense. Unfortunately for Rainesy we have an abundance of players who play a similiar style but have overtaken him in terms of value to the team. From posts on this site he is disgruntled with the club so may wish to be traded this or next year potentially to the Gold Coast team...?

In terms of delisting I think Tiv, Petts, Cass and Silvester (rookie list) may all be strong options.

Stripes

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:14:14 AM »
I still think we need to keep Raines and play him as much as possible next year to increase his trade value and look to trade him to the Gold Coast. He'd probably be willing to go and the GC17 team will have lots of early picks to swap and they'll need some maturity, Raines would be a good fit. It would also help us get a better draft position in a compromised draft. The exact same goes for McGuane, both players will be good currency in a strong draft next year due to the age changes.

Hyde has ZERO trade currency, the only thing we'd get for him would be a pick neither club will use to facilitate a trade to a club he wants to go to, anything else and you're DREAMING.

JON will stay, not a chance of going

Schulz should be a required player, especially with Polak going down indefinitely, but who knows what might happen

Casserly is contracted for next year and the match committee has faith in his ability, could be delisted and put on the rookie list if Travis agrees to such a move.

Pettifer was easily our biggest trade bait for this year, but that's just gone straight out the window. I can't see another club trading for him now.

The entire rookie list except for Collard will go.

I don't expect any major wholesale changes to the list this year, the draft isn't deep enough. Perhaps 3-4 selections max plus 3 new rookies. Hopefully 4 new rookies as it will have meant that we have an extra spot available from a veteran retiring.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:29:38 PM »
We haven't traded anyone away since Ottens and Fiora in 2004. Apart from Schulz last year with Port's offer of pick 28, no other club wants to go near our offcasts unless they come basically for free (Rodan, Zantuck). Given we've offloaded virtually 30 players in the past 4 years it shows how much deadwood we had with more to offload. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 12:59:06 PM »
Kayne Pettifer

Chris Hyde

Greg Tivendale

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
What do you all think we would get for Raines
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 07:08:59 PM »
At most a late 2nd rounder/early 3rd rounder if clubs still rate him based on 2006 form IMO.

Ox

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »
wgat are this pricks credentials anyway.?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 07:27:27 PM »

An early 2nd round pick if you parcelled him with our 3rd round pick.

As a straight swap for a pick agree with MT a 2nd rounder more likely 3rd round
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 09:36:59 PM »
Sarge and Rainesy would have some trade value.
McGuane could well appeal to the Gold Coast team when they come in.
Young, almost ready-made tall defender.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 12:07:35 AM »
wgat are this pricks credentials anyway.?
Robbo is the journo but for the rest none.

Sarge and Rainesy would have some trade value.
McGuane could well appeal to the Gold Coast team when they come in.
Young, almost ready-made tall defender.
With Polak's footy future up in the air we wouldn't want to trade away too many of our talls unless we draft some in their place. Rance looks like he may eventually step up as a key defender but Gourdis is more a project type and we don't have any other talls as back-up.

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 07:56:09 AM »
schulz will stay,he hasnt done a bad job this year and l think hes been better in defence than polak.
we cant afford to get rid of kp type players we dont have many of them ,and some of the ones we have havent played a game.
l think raines, petts,and maybe even polo if the deal was right.
and l have to question the value of patto to the team,all he is to me is a back up for simmo and thats it.
he hasnt done alot .

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »
For mine I wouldn't wish to trade Schulz or McGuane. Finally our defence is looking tall, strong and fast.

We have Thursfield, Moore, McGuane and Schulz as our tall defensive backman and Newman, MacMahon as our rebounding defenders/midfielders.  In reserve we have Bowden and King as small/mid-sized defenders and Rance, Gourdis and Polak (if he returns) as tall defenders.

By my calculating we have have only one backup tall defenders remaining in Rance (assuming he comes on) and no viable backups this year.

Trading Schulz or McGuane would be a mistake unless we wished to leave ourselves vulnerable to injuries which would be a grave mistake. One of the greatest reason we are having a reasonable year is due to our depth so when players like Polak goes down we could actually cover him with a player of similiar ability.

Raines on the other hand is just one of many small defender/midfielder types on our list and definately could be traded without harming the health of our list.

Stripes