Author Topic: Rex blasts KB - again  (Read 2188 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Rex blasts KB - again
« on: August 30, 2004, 01:31:49 AM »
Big Rex goes after Bartlett - again
By Dan Oakes
August 30, 2004

Richmond premiership player-turned-football commentator Rex Hunt has launched another stinging attack against his former teammate Kevin Bartlett over an interview published in The Sunday Age yesterday.

Bartlett has been estranged from the Tigers since he was sacked from the coaching job in 1991, but Hunt, among others, has unsuccessfully implored the Richmond legend to reconcile with the club where he won five premierships and five best-and-fairest awards.

The two, who played together in the 1969 and 1973 premiership sides, fell out spectacularly last year when Hunt criticised Bartlett for refusing to attend functions at the club.

But Hunt's outburst yesterday on 3AW was sparked by Bartlett's claims in the interview that in his playing days, his loyalties lay more with coach Tommy Hafey than Richmond. Hafey coached the Tigers from 1966-1976, winning four premierships, and still talks to Bartlett every day.

Hunt said that he nearly vomited when he read the "Hafey and Bartlett buddy, buddy" interview and that Bartlett's claims that the loyalties of other players of the era also lay with Hafey were false.

"Kevin, I need you to call me and tell me what other players were playing for Tom and the Richmond Football Club was secondary," Hunt said.

"I need a psychologist to tell me what Kevin's on about. I don't give a stuff whether he ever goes back to Richmond, and you know what, Kevin? Neither do most people because you've dug a hole so big for yourself.

"Why would I ever wish that this bloke ever came back to the club? Because Terry Wallace, make no mistake, will make this place roll and rattle again. What, will Bartlett turn up when everything's fine and come back?"

Bartlett shrugged off Hunt's criticism, saying that it was his and Hunt's prerogative to play for whoever they chose to.

"When Tommy was coach, I played for Tommy Hafey. If others played for supporters, or if others played for their dad, or their best friend, or the jumper, then that's who they played for. I'm telling you who I played for," Bartlett said.

Hunt also attacked Bartlett for refusing to sign a piece of memorabilia commemorating the 1969 premiership.

Hunt paid $6500 for the framed collection of individual headshots of that year's premiership players. Bartlett was the only living player not to autograph the piece, which was auctioned at a function for the Tommy Hafey Club.

"Please tell me why I get so angry and why I felt so dudded in paying thousands of dollars for a bloke that wouldn't sign the premiership thing to raise money for his best friend's club?" Hunt said.

Bartlett said he had told the club that he was happy to sign any memorabilia, as long as knew who was buying it.

"I'm more than happy to sign it for Rex, as long as I can personalise it. If he had have told me in the first place that he was going to buy it, I would have signed it for him then," Bartlett said.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/08/29/1093717843885.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Rex blasts KB - again
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 02:02:39 AM »
This is like an episode of the odd couple. I don't why Rex keeps harping on about KB. It's his choice and his loss if he doesn't want anything to do with the Club. Just forget about it Rex. KB ain't coming back and nobody but the media cares anymore  :sleep.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 04:08:21 AM »
I was very surprised by the supposed comments of Bartlett ???, if true then I wouldn't have any time for Bartlett at all.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

froars

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 06:59:27 AM »
I couldn't care less what he does now - he's a petty man.
But I luv it that he's gone from hero to villain with another lady - wouldn't sign your autographs lovey lol  :rollin

froars

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 07:29:14 AM »
I find it strange though - i think KB is a really nice person as anyone will attest to if they meet him.
A very sad saga for all concerned i think and agree with MT that nobody but the media really cares any more.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 10:05:45 AM »
I was disappointed to read that Bartlett played for Tom Hafey 1st and Richmond 2nd.
That comment smaks of bitterness and disrespect to the RFC and his teamates who,along with Tommy,acheived great success together.
The whole club achieved those successes together,and without his teamates Bartlett would be a lot poorer and digging holes for a job,rather than enjoying the comfortable exsistence footy has given him.
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 02:51:55 PM »
This isn't the first time KB has said he played for Hafey although he said before the whole team at the time did. In one of those AFL centenary docos about the history of VFL/AFL in 96, IIRC he said it wouldn't have mattered what the side was called, they would have succeeded as  they played for Tommy.

froars

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 04:04:32 PM »
I was disappointed to read that Bartlett played for Tom Hafey 1st and Richmond 2nd

Interesting comment, seeing as i was involved in organising a night to honour Tommy back in the '90s, and put the invite out to KB to come along and pay homage to him - not interested  ::)

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 04:26:43 PM »

I didnt know Tom Hafey was the Richmond coach in 1980?

Which coach were you playing for in the 1980 GF win you stuffing old senile codger?

stuff oooff. I'm so sick of you you silly old idiot.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 11:26:49 PM »
1980 - Tommy was coaching in that GF. KB probably forgot it was the opposition. :)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 03:13:13 PM »
1980 - Tommy was coaching in that GF. KB probably forgot it was the opposition. :)

Nice one fishy. He kicked a few goals that day too. He'll probably turn around someday and claim he would have kicked twice as many if Tommy was coaching.