Author Topic: Joel Bowden's 250th game this week  (Read 1851 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Joel Bowden's 250th game this week
« on: August 05, 2008, 04:47:27 AM »
The battle of the milestones. Bowden plays his 250th against the Crows.

Congrats to Joel  :clapping.

He'll become only the 12th Tiger to reach 250 games.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/J/Joel_Bowden.html

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Joel Bowden's 250th game this week
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:54:15 AM »
The battle of the milestones. Bowden plays his 250th against the Crows.

Congrats to Joel  :clapping.

He'll become only the 12th Tiger to reach 250 games.

And if he plays another 3 games he will pass Sheedy on 251.  If he plays every game next season he will finish on 275 (barring finals) and finish 7th on our all time list above Weightman and behind Knights.  I wonder if it will all be too much after the angst of this season?  Does anyone know when he is contracted to?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:00:40 PM »
Wallace on Bowden
Snippet from Sportal
5/08/2008
Andrew Wu

"He's been a great player for this club. A dual best and fairest winner, he's a heart and soul person of this footy club with his heritage at the club as well," Wallace said.

"So to have his 250th game and to be able to open the door up for what might be a finals opportunity would be a fantastic way for our club to celebrate his milestone but we also know the other mob has a bloke playing his 300th game as well."

A decision on whether Bowden will saddle up for a 14th league season, Wallace said, would be made after the Tigers' 2008 campaign.

http://sportal.com.au/AFL-news-display/no-extra-motivation-for-tigers-53859

bushranger

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »
Good on ya Joel. Congradulations a worthy player reaching a milestone.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
Does anyone know when he is contracted to?
He's uncontracted at the end of the year

Tigermonk

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:44:55 PM »
ahh me old mate Joel, a true Tiger champion
Congratulations on the 250th young fella  :thumbsup have a great game  :gotigers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:51:20 PM »
Well done Joel

250 games  ???

I must admit I was generally surprised when I heard that

TMonk - you should be going to Adel to cheer on your mate  ;) :D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 10:04:15 PM »
Well done Joel

250 games  ???

yeah well i have 2 tickets Bay 119 smack bang in the middle of the cheer squad and it looks like my mrs will get her away and i wont be attending. WOMAN=:banghead

If anyone is intersting in buying 2 tickets PM me. I dont really want them to go to waste
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Tigermonk

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 07:57:36 AM »
Well done Joel

250 games  ???

to get spit on & abused by Crow supporters no thanks they are filthy  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 01:09:43 AM »
Does anyone know when he is contracted to?
He's uncontracted at the end of the year
Joel's also on the veteran list where only half his salary counts towards our salary cap so he's a fairly cheap option if the club and him decide to keep going for another year. It's a big decision as the club has admitted Joel starts every year poorly due to having limited preseasons managing his dodgy knee(s). A similar poor start next year and everyone will be on his back again asking why the club kept him on the list. It wouldn't surprise me if he retires in a month's time to leave the game in form. It'd be great for him (and us) if he could repeat his heroics at Footy Park again.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 02:28:37 PM »
Joel Bowden snippet from SEN:

* He's had no discussions yet about his future. Joel said he'll play for Richmond for as long as the club wants him to.

* The media asked him about rushing points to run down the clock against Essendon again  ::). Joel said he wasn't aware of the time left and he was looking for someone to pass it off to but there were no open options until Jordie popped up. If he knew there was only 10-15 seconds left he would've wanted someone else to have the footy.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Take a bow, ‘Bowdo’ (RFC)
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 02:30:29 PM »
Take a bow, ‘Bowdo’
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
Thu 07 August, 2008

Joel Bowden will become just the 12th Richmond player in the Club’s 100-year VFL/AFL history to reach the 250-game milestone when he lines up against Adelaide at AAMI Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

All-up, the 30-year-old has played 249 out of a possible 269 games since making his debut for the Tigers in Round 17 of the 1996 season against Hawthorn at Princes Park, which highlights his remarkable durability over the journey.

After being sidelined for several weeks with shoulder problems very early in his career, Bowden has not missed a match through injury for the past 10 years!

He was dropped to Richmond’s VFL affiliate, the Coburg Tigers, just a few weeks into the 2004 season for one game; was suspended for one match in the 2006 season; and then spent a month back at Coburg early on this season.

Up until his Round 4 omission this year, he’d appeared in 218 of Richmond’s previous 220 games – an amazing statistic for a player at the game’s highest level.

Bowden has combined that durability with versatility, and a clever football brain, to become such an integral member of the Tigers’ line-up for the past decade.

That versatility has seen him used in a variety of positions, such as wing, half-forward, half-back, back pocket, full-back, centre half-back, half-forward, ruck-rover, centre half-forward and full-forward.

In fact, upon reflection, tap ruckman is virtually the only role Bowden hasn’t filled throughout his 249-game league career at Tigerland!

The dual Jack Dyer Medallist and two-time All-Australian representative has averaged 21.8 disposals per game and 5.7 marks per game, and with his 166 goals, he’s ranked 29th on the Club’s all-time goalkicking list.

And, as he’s shown several times since returning to the Richmond side this season, despite being in the twilight of his career, he still has the capacity to strongly influence games . . .

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=64987

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nothing wrong with my behinds: Bowden (RFC)
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 07:00:20 PM »
Nothing wrong with my behinds: Bowden
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Thu 07 August, 2008

JOEL Bowden says his hand was forced when he created an uproar by stepping back over the goal-line to concede deliberate behinds at the end of the round 16 game against Essendon.

The well-documented action was debated for days, with rule changes mooted, hysterical outbursts about "what if this was a grand final?" and even comparisons to the infamous Trevor Chappell underarm cricket incident of 1981.

"Perhaps a lot's been made out of it when there wasn't much there," Bowden said on Thursday.

"I can talk you through it – I got the ball, and there were absolutely no options. Everyone was pretty much out on their feet, and the umpire called me to play on, so I had to play on, and then there was no-one to kick it to.

"My view is that my hand was forced. I only did it once - as soon as we had a player (free), I kicked it to him.

"I actually did one in the first quarter, and I've done them before. Teams are averaging four or five or six rushed behinds a game, it just came at the right time for a bit of a headline, I guess."

The underarm comparison was drawing a very long bow, the 30-year-old said.

"If that was going to be the case, if you wanted to do that, it would have been better if (brother) Patrick was playing, and he was kicking out, and I went and told him to do it.

"Other than that, perhaps it's a bit far-fetched, maybe."

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=65027

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bowden looking for win in 250 milestone game (Age)
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 02:08:46 AM »
Bowden looking for win in 250 milestone game
Martin Boulton | August 8, 2008

RICHMOND veteran Joel Bowden would gladly accept a carbon copy of his 200th game when he runs out against Adelaide on Sunday in his 250th.

It was back in round eight, 2006, when the Tigers celebrated his 200th game by beating the Crows.

He shared that milestone on-field with brother Patrick, who played 25 games for the Tigers after crossing from the Western Bulldogs, and off-field with his father, a former Richmond premiership player.

"We'd been beaten badly the week before (by Sydney) and the end of the game was probably one of the more special moments, with my father, my brother and my family … it was a great family moment," he said yesterday.

After last week's 10-goal loss to Geelong, the 30-year-old hopes Sunday's crucial game at AAMI Stadium at least delivers another win in another milestone game.

"Adelaide are a good side and they've got a milestone with Andrew McLeod (in his 300th match), another Northern Territory footballer and a guy I've grown up playing against."

Born in Mildura and raised in Alice Springs from the age of 10, Bowden arrived at Punt Road at the end of 1995 under the father-son rule. Michael Bowden played 59 games for the Tigers between 1967 and '71, including the 1969 grand final against arch-rival Carlton.

Joel's older brother, Sean, played six games for the club in the early '90s before returning to the Northern Territory to coach.

"It's a club my family has a strong association with and I couldn't be happier," Bowden said after training at Punt Road yesterday.

"I haven't had too many injuries and I've been able to play footy at the Richmond Football Club, which is the club I love and the club I grew up supporting.

"In time, hopefully people will look back and say I was a good Richmond player, had some durability and was able to compete and play at a high level."

Despite speculation his career was nearing the end after four weeks in the VFL, Bowden has bounced back this season and played an important role forward and back.

He shrugged off the controversy surrounding the round-16 match against Essendon, when twice he retreated across the Bombers' goal line in the dying seconds. Commenting on his tactics for the first time yesterday, he said he paid little attention to the headlines and ignored comparisons with the infamous Chappell underarm delivery from 1981.

"There was absolutely no options, everybody was pretty much out on their feet and the umpire called me to play on, so I played on and there was no one to kick it to.

"My view is my hand was forced (and) as soon as we had a player, I kicked it to him."

The dual Jack Dyer medallist said he had "no idea" how much time was left on the clock.

The 30-year-old defender has been more interested in winding back the clock with his move forward.

"I started as a half-forward, running around crumbing packs and kicking a few goals, so the wheel's gone around and I'm back in the forward line and enjoying myself … I'm certainly keen to keep playing."

After making his debut in round 17, 1996, the dual All-Australian become one of the game's most consistent players, missing just 20 games in 13 seasons. He is the 12th Richmond player to reach the 250-game milestone.

"It's a great honour for me to play at Richmond."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/bowden-looking-for-win-in-250-milestone-game/2008/08/07/1217702255184.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Joel Bowden goes from endangered list to toast of Tigerland (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 02:10:21 AM »
Richmond's Joel Bowden goes from endangered list to toast of Tigerland
Michael Horan | August 08, 2008

A MONTH into the season, dual All-Australian defender Joel Bowden's long AFL career seemed on the brink of ending.

Dropped after Round 3 having played 218 of Richmond's past 220 matches, the versatile left-footer spent a month languishing in the VFL -- at 30 he suddenly appeared too small and too slow for the game.

But in the past month Bowden has grabbed headlines, taken match-winning marks and kicked winning goals to be the toast of Tiger town.

And when the son of Richmond's 1969 premiership player Michael Bowden runs out against Adelaide at AAMI Stadium on Sunday, he will join the elite 1.4 per cent of AFL footballers to reach 250 games.

Bowden yesterday spoke of his passion for Richmond, his love of the game and -- for the first time -- about that headline-grabbing incident at the MCG three weeks ago when he rushed two behinds to secure a four-point win in the dying seconds against Essendon.

"There were absolutely no options. Everyone was pretty much out on their feet and the umpire called me to play on, so I had to play on. There was no one to kick it to, so in my view my hand was forced," Bowden said yesterday, still bemused at the attention his actions received.

"I've always wanted the ball in my hands during the game. But when the crowd was screaming at you and the umpire is screaming at you, it's probably one of those times I wanted to put the ball in someone else's hands."

Bowden did not read the scathing press, which included one outraged view that the tactic was akin to cricketer Trevor Chappell's infamous underarm in a one-day international at the same venue.

"If that's the case, it would have been better if (brother) Patrick was playing and he was kicking out and I went and told him to do it. Other than that, perhaps it's a bit far-fetched," Bowden chuckled.

He said he did not know how much time was left.

"I had no idea. A lot of people have asked me that, but frankly I just got the ball, I was entrusted to kick out at a late stage of the game, and only when the siren went did I realise the ramifications of having the ball with 10 or 15 or 20 seconds left," he said.

To be in that situation at all was testament to a footballer who does not know the word quit.

Since returning to the side in Round 9 against Essendon, Bowden has produced three match-defining moments.

In Round 13, against Port Adelaide, he had 39 possessions. The last was a mark in front of Daniel Motlop that secured a four-point win for the Tigers.

A week after the defensive ploy against the Dons, Bowden kicked the winning goal against the Brisbane Lions to keep the Tigers' finals hopes alive.

Out of contract at the end of the year, Bowden is not quite ready to call it a day.

"I'd back myself to play good football and contribute to the team for the rest of the year," he said.

"I'd like to do that for as long as I possibly can. I love playing footy. It's a great occupation, it brings great joy to me -- not only myself, but to my family, my friends and supporters.

"I'm committed to playing football for Richmond -- for as long as they'll have me."

Coincidentally, Bowden made his AFL debut in Round 17, 1996, while the Olympics were in full swing in Atlanta.

Now, as the Beijing Games begin, he becomes just the 163rd player in AFL history to reach the 250-game milestone.

That means plenty to someone who is Richmond through and through.

"It's a great honour for me to play one game for Richmond," Bowden said.

"There are many, many guys I've played with and had strong friendships with who didn't get to play that one game, so I'm very honoured to get that opportunity.

"To get to 250 . . . it's a privilege. I almost feel a bit overawed at the names that come up who have played 250 games."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24144954-19742,00.html