Author Topic: Trouble is brewing  (Read 57711 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Schwab on 3aw - 27/11
« Reply #390 on: November 27, 2004, 10:21:57 PM »
This is a summary of what Schwab said:

* Although the $2m loss was brought to the board's attention in March, it wasn’t foreshadowed at the AGM when Casey said we would break even.

* Worst trading result in the history of the club and raises fundamental questions about the club’s financial solvency and ability to be successful moving forward.

* Every revenue stream being down – attendances, financial support from the coterie groups, functions and events - demonstrates Richmond people not feeling part of the club and not investing their money to make the club a success. Thinks the the only way that can be turned around is to understand that the Richmond people own the football club. 

* Went on about how big a Club we are and that there’s a huge range of passionate and well off Richmond people who want to be part of the President’s Club, who want to be a part of the coterie group, who want to be a part of success.

* Said tying poor off-field results to on-field was a cop-out. Once again went on about how big a Club we are. For some bizarre reason blamed Casey's admin on playing more games at Telstra Dome  ???. Games moved from the G to the Dome. Loss of blockbuster status.

* Asked by Connolly about footy dept. expediture and whether the cuts concerned him or were what was needed.... Schwab answered by saying two things concerned him. Firstly that you can’t run a football club which banks on on field results. You have to build a financial model for your club which makes you profitable every year irrespective of on-field results. Secondly the destruction of the financial model the Club had over recent years. Mentioned the Daphne regime in regard to always making profits. Said you can’t be competitive and win premierships given the situation with losses over the past 2 years. That we now have a situation where the AFL has had to guarantee our overdraft and is in the business planning process just in order to secure that situation.

* Added to that that the current business model is a loss making one. Whilst we get draft picks, if we can't pay 100% of the salary cap and match the best clubs for resourcing our footy dept – then the players we get will go elsewhere in the competition. Claimed that was the real risk for the Club at the moment.

* Connolly then said isn't that catch-22. Meaning needing 100% cap to be successful leads to overspending which then requires spending cuts to below 100%. Schwab said no cause we are big club and we can build a base of average crowds of 40,000, a membership of at least 30,000 (believes he can get 40,000). Said those two things will deliver the sponsorships that should make us profits every single year.

* Said we are $4m in terms of our overdraft facility which is the cap for that.  Any more over that and we would have to go into the competitive balance fund. When asked if he would go cap in hand to the AFL, Schwab he'll try to avoid it but couldn't say for sure because he didn't know the full state of the books [Ed: your own fault Brendan  ::) ]

* The alternative will be announcing their detailed plans during the next few weeks [Ed. the election will be over by then!  ]

* Said Francis Bourke was an example of the "one of a considerable group of Richmond people who have encouraged us to take this stance". Said it was important for the upcoming election campaign.

* Said the alternative ticket has the support of the Presidents Club and all key coterie groups. Apparently according to Grybas Casey didn't invite to the BBQ members of the presidents club b/c 80% of them support the alternative.

* Was glad the jumper has been changed back. Said he was disappointed it was changed in the first place and it had been a crusade of his for the full sash's return [Ed. funny we've never heard this publicly until now]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 11:40:17 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Trouble is brewing
« Reply #391 on: November 27, 2004, 10:28:18 PM »
Found it amusing that while Schwab was saying these things never once took any responsibility for his part in these "situations" nor did the Grybas, Connolly and Co. question him directly on his 5+ years on the board.

froars

« Reply #392 on: November 27, 2004, 11:02:36 PM »
Went on about how big a Club we are and that there’s a huge range of passionate and well off Richmond people who want to be part of the President’s Club, who want to be a part of the coterie group, who want to be a part of success.

Hello, what’s stopping them?  Passionate RFC my behind – passionate RFC people are already members of these groups.  They don’t need success to buy their memberships – passionate people buy them when they’re down as well.  Stuff these chardonnay sipping effwits and stuff someone like Schwab who believe these are the people we need. 

Said tying poor off-field results to on-field was a cop-out. Once again went on about how big a Club we are. For some bizarre reason blamed Casey's admin on playing more games at Telstra Dome   . Games moved from the G to the Dome. Loss of blockbuster status.

Agree with you MT, this guy is an absolute twerp – he was one of the ppl who made these decisions.  Hey, I hate Telstra Dome, but has he canvassed the whole supporter base to see if this is why attendances are low.  I think not – 25 years of woeful performances has led to this apathy – and of those years Schwab, Welsh, Macek, Humphris were all a part of.  I don’t think he understands the supporters at all if he thinks Telstra Dome is the reason.  There's a whole myriad of reasons people don't go to the footy these days - cost number one i reckon, can sit at home and watch on tellie number two IMO.

You have to build a financial model for your club which makes you profitable every year irrespective of on-field results.

Doh – instead of talking about what they taught you at business school, tell us how you achieve this.  Dear Mr Good in Theory, we need to you to tell us how you achieve this in practice and different to what’s already happening.

Said the alternative ticket has the support of the Presidents Club and all key coterie groups. Apparently according to Grybas Casey didn't invite members of the presidents club b/c 80% supports the alternative.

Seeing there’s only about 30 of these tossers, who gives a pooh – I’m more interested in hearing what big Robbie says (the bloke who goes to the footy in his singlet and shorts in the middle of winter lol) – basically, what the ordinary supporter thinks. I'm a member of a coterie group, but i don't think my opinion is any better than any other supporter. 

Was glad the jumper has been changed back. Said he was disappointed it was changed in the first place and it had been a crusade of his for the full sash's return

Yeah, you’re the man Brendan lol.  Seeing you did such a grand job on your crusade, i reckon you should be in charge of them - vote 1 Brendan Schwab, property steward lol.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 11:16:01 PM by froars »

froars

« Reply #393 on: November 27, 2004, 11:05:23 PM »
Oops, excellent job MT - hope you managed to stay awake for all of it lol

froars

« Reply #394 on: November 27, 2004, 11:28:18 PM »
MT, did they ask him what he thought about current affairs - ie the good work Miler was doing, the appointment of Wallace, the resigning of Motorola and TAC and the new Silvertop sponsorship?   Just curious if it was a balanced interview!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Schwab on 3aw - 27/11
« Reply #395 on: November 27, 2004, 11:34:52 PM »
* Said the alternative ticket has the support of the Presidents Club and all key coterie groups. Apparently according to Grybas Casey didn't invite members of the presidents club b/c 80% supports the alternative.

It would have been nice to have the President's Club there because they are generous supporters, but the bottom line is it was Clinton's party at Clinton's house and he can invite or not invite whoever he wants.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #396 on: November 27, 2004, 11:38:28 PM »
MT, did they ask him what he thought about current affairs - ie the good work Miler was doing, the appointment of Wallace, the resigning of Motorola and TAC and the new Silvertop sponsorship?   Just curious if it was a balanced interview!

Nah none of that. Not a positive word from Schwab as per usual :sleep. Hey from that interview you'd reckon the past 3 months in terms of Wallace coming on board, the cleaning out our list and 5 picks in the top 20 of the draft, sponsorship signings, etc.. never happened  ::).

froars

« Reply #397 on: November 27, 2004, 11:44:13 PM »
Agendas, agendas, agendas - 3AW shame on you.
I just re-read what you posted MT - i'm very sleepy now and going to bed!
BS = the best cure for insomia lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #398 on: November 28, 2004, 12:13:47 AM »
Said the alternative ticket has the support of the Presidents Club and all key coterie groups. Apparently according to Grybas Casey didn't invite members of the presidents club b/c 80% supports the alternative.

Seeing there’s only about 30 of these tossers, who gives a pooh – I’m more interested in hearing what big Robbie says (the bloke who goes to the footy in his singlet and shorts in the middle of winter lol) – basically, what the ordinary supporter thinks. I'm a member of a coterie group, but i don't think my opinion is any better than any other supporter. 

Exactly froars. There's over 27,000 of us not 30. Sure these coterie members deserve extra rewards due to the amount of $ they give to the Club but that doesn't give them the right to put undue pressure on or dictate to those who hold official positions what decisions should be made in terms of running the footy club. The Club belongs to all 27,000 members not a select minority  >:(. Remember it's one vote per one adult membership regardless of the category.

btw you don't see the average member having a sooky-la-la because they weren't invited to Casey's BBQ.

I wonder if all this angst began with the Club removing that clause in Frawley's contract and allowing Spud to coach out his 5 year contract.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #399 on: November 28, 2004, 12:16:25 AM »
Oops, excellent job MT - hope you managed to stay awake for all of it lol

:sleep :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Casey excuse a 'cop out' - Schwab
« Reply #400 on: November 28, 2004, 02:44:34 AM »
Here's the Hun artilce based on Schwab 3aw interview ( :sleep lol ). I thought Macek was suppose to be their leader not Schwab  ::).

-----------

Casey excuse a 'cop out'
28 November 2004   
Sunday Herald Sun

REBEL Richmond leader Brendan Schwab says Clinton Casey's decision to blame the club's dire $2.19 million trading loss on poor on-field results was a "cop out" and highlighted why he should be dumped.

As the alternative Richmond board steps up its bid to win power at next month's election, Schwab, who would be deputy president to Charles Macek, said it was time the Casey era finished.

The Tigers, who finished bottom last season, announced on Friday their huge trading loss following an $800,000 deficit last year.

In an e-mail to club members, Casey said part of the reason for last season's blow-out was the "budget was based on more on-field success and a lot more growth in the marketing field".

This has upset Schwab, who said a financial plan, which was not heavily influenced by on-field success, was needed to ensure the club posted profits regardless of where it finished.

"I think it's an absolute cop out," Schwab said yesterday.

"In 1999 when Clinton was first elected president, the club had the second biggest average crowd in the competition behind only Essendon, and that was only with one finals appearance since 1982.

"In 1999 the club made a profit of almost $700,000 and that was the fifth consecutive profit. The club had been profitable every year since the club was rebuilt in 1990 with the Save Our Skins campaign.

"We have a wonderful capacity to draw crowds, provided we put on the field a team which the Richmond people think will play true to the values of the jumper -- that's to show genuine commitment and plays some exciting and competitive footy."

The Macek-Schwab ticket will unveil its plans this week and believe its board has the right skills to reinvigorate the club.

"It's actually the worst trading result in the history of the club and raises fundamental questions about the club's financial solvency, ability to be successful moving forward and we think highlights the need for change to the board of the Richmond Football Club," Schwab told 3AW.

"That loss when it is analysed shows a failing in every key aspect of the financial operations of the club.

"Expenditure was not in accordance with budget, the football department was some $500,000 to $600,000 above budget and every revenue stream was down -- attendances, financial support from the coterie groups, functions and events.

"I think that demonstrates the alienation of the Richmond people."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11519698%255E20322,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Casey excuse a 'cop out' - Schwab
« Reply #401 on: November 28, 2004, 03:21:42 AM »
"It's actually the worst trading result in the history of the club and raises fundamental questions about the club's financial solvency, ability to be successful moving forward and we think highlights the need for change to the board of the Richmond Football Club," Schwab told 3AW.

This worst trading loss in history is totally misleading. Losing $2.2m is intolerable and the worst loss in raw dollars but it's in relation to a $20m+ turnover and a ~$600K debt. Compare that to the 1980s where we lost $1m a year loss out of a $2.5m turnover with a hidden $1.5m debt. Please can we have a bit of perspective instead of overdramatics Brendan  ::).

froars

« Reply #402 on: November 28, 2004, 11:16:11 AM »
This worst trading loss in history is totally misleading
I don't think the media are interested in facts MT.  I don't think they even care what happens to the club, as long as they get a good quote and forget everything else that was said in the interview.  None of his comments on Telstra Dome it appears which has totally floored me in the nerve he has to make them lol

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #403 on: November 28, 2004, 11:31:05 AM »
It seems Schwab and co think the Richmond football club is their's and only they know what's best for it. Don't think they've ever spoken to the grass roots members....cause we don't matter. I've seen Clinton at family days etc walking around and talking to we 'ordinary folk'...not a bad effort given he's pretty much an introvert.

Cant' recall ever seeing Schwab at a family day....didn't fit into his busy schedule I guess. We're in big trouble if he doesn't realise that it's the ordinary 27,000 members that keep the club financially viable not the 100 or so coterie members Coterie members are just the icing on the cake and they appear in droves when the club is successful. Sponsorship is attracted by a large member base....after all they're not gearing their messages to the small coterie groups.

Froars is right about this group only being interested in what a small group of people think, inlcuding some past players. Just because you were fortunate enough to have played for the Tiges shouldn't really make your vote or your opinion more important. Most of us would have loved to have played for the Tiges...me wrong sex for a start...DOH!

Surely the person who buys their membership every year and goes to the footy every week, sitting in the outer rain, hail or shine (not in a Corporate box) loves the club every bit as much as someone who can AFFORD to be put in thousands.....and Brendan their vote counts!

The longer this election goes the madder I get!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #404 on: November 28, 2004, 02:04:03 PM »
* Said tying poor off-field results to on-field was a cop-out. Once again went on about how big a Club we are. For some bizarre reason blamed Casey's admin on playing more games at Telstra Dome  ???. Games moved from the G to the Dome. Loss of blockbuster status.

In desperate times desperate people say some desperate things...... Now is seems Brendan needs another history lesson. Please remember that Schwab joined the board in Dec 1998. this comment is a cop out from him why??? Because for years the Clubs financial budgets have been to heavily based on the On-field performance of the team - want some proof

From the RFC Annual report of 2000 (page 1) when the CLub lost $640k  it says that in 2001 the Club is bugeting for a small profit "subject to the level of profitablility of gaming & club facilities and on-field performance of the football team. From the 2001 Annual report (page 1) after we made the finals and and a $512k profit it says that in 2002 the Club is bugeting for a small profit "subject to the level of profitablility of gaming & club facilities and on-field performance of the football team.

Now whether Brendan wants to admit it or not he was part of the board during this time - for once just once will you take some responsibility for your time on the board..... :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

And just to prove that this sort of blind hope in footy performance has been the norm rather than a Clinton Casey led financial led push this from the 1998 annual report when Leon Daphne was President....in 1999 the Club is bugeting for a small profit "subject to the level of profitablility of gaming & club facilities and on-field performance of the football team.

* Asked by Connolly about footy dept. expediture and whether the cuts concerned him or were what was needed.... Schwab answered by saying two things concerned him. Firstly that you can’t run a football club which banks on on field results.

See above - desperate times indeed

It seems Schwab and co think the Richmond football club is their's and only they know what's best for it. Don't think they've ever spoken to the grass roots members....cause we don't matter. I've seen Clinton at family days etc walking around and talking to we 'ordinary folk'...not a bad effort given he's pretty much an introvert.

Cant' recall ever seeing Schwab at a family day....didn't fit into his busy schedule I guess.

Passionately unavailabe to the average supporter perhaps bg25  ::)

Surely the person who buys their membership every year and goes to the footy every week, sitting in the outer rain, hail or shine (not in a Corporate box) loves the club every bit as much as someone who can AFFORD to be put in thousands.....and Brendan their vote counts!

Spot on bg25 - Member 23896 (whoever you are) is just as important as the our number 1 ticket holder the wonderful David Mandie.

The longer this election goes the madder I get!

Mad doesn't come close to how I feel about this whole saga :banghead

7 months this has been going on and Brendan and his mates have given me nothing. And if they think that having Francis Bourke's name on the reference is going to change my view of them then they are more deluded than I thought

As for Chalres he is off overseas I believe.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 02:07:28 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)