Author Topic: The Game  (Read 8339 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: The Game
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2004, 08:24:07 PM »
To the panel on Fox League Teams who all voted for the Bulldogs to win :P :P :P :P :P :P

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2004, 08:30:58 PM »
Watching the replay this morning of yesterday's game, my 4 year old son stunned me with a loud "Bowden - you idiot!"  Out of the mouth of babes.

Ox

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004, 09:21:54 PM »
Watching the replay this morning of yesterday's game, my 4 year old son stunned me with a loud "Bowden - you idiot!"  Out of the mouth of babes.

LMAOO Jewlz.

They say the children know !!
Although she played pretty good DID JOELINE.
I just watched the 2nd half -
Richo LMAOO.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2004, 11:36:16 AM »
Mightytiges - I agree that kicking for goals is a skill like everything else - but is it only me that is concerned about our inability to get enough of the ball and our inability to link up and run to support and attack in a dangerous fashion.  The bulldogs had much more of the play and were by far the more attacking and creative team.  Take Richo out of our team and put him in the buldogs team then it would have easily been a 10 goal thumping for them.  Put him back in our side and it was only a 4 goal win for us. 

This is where we really are at.

If supporters want to rejoice at every little scraggy win, then its OK with me.  But I for one am concerned with our huge deficiencies and am expecting us to fall in a heap.  Just remember that injuries have been kind to us so far. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2004, 01:01:48 PM »
While I agree Harry that it's far to early to cancel our September holidays ;D a win is a win.

I thought we were very lucky to be in front at half time and should have been at least 3 goals down haf way through the 3rd. The Dog's kicking was shocking and for that I am grateful but there were still some positives to come out the win coupled with a few more questions as well.

Obviously, Richo kicking 10 was great but my concern with that was the fact that our 15 goals came from 4 people. Not enough. What happens when the big bloke has a shocker?

The most pleasing thing for me was the fact they didn't drop their heads. Rewind back to the Geelong game and they kicked 4 or 5 behinds in row and the heads dropped and we got thrashed. Saturday they didn't do it - would that have different if the Dogs had kicked the goals that they should have?

Seeing Gaspar get a few freebie kicks in the first quarter and he looked like he was slowing coming back  into form - that's got to be a positive.

Seeing Schulz hip 'n' shoulder Johnson and then see Johnson hobble off was a delight - good old fashion football - more of it I say  ;D ;).

The test comes in the next 2 weeks - interstate - then we will definitely have a better idea of where we are at.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2004, 04:01:45 PM »
You’re not alone in your concerns Harry H.  For the amount of play the Bulldogs had, they just never took advantage of their opportunities.  I guess you could say we did.

Might as well enjoy the wins that come along though, because you never know when the next one will be.

And it’s not every day you get to see a player (and a Richmond one at that) kick 10 goals in a game.  The atmosphere was sensational, leading up to and after Richo’s 10th goal.  Something to remember.  Might as well enjoy it.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2004, 04:34:18 PM »
Im in no delusion on where we're at,and after the Adelaide game was convinced that we weren't gonna win another match!
Happy to take the wins as lm sure it'll be a long cold winter ahead

Then the really pressing issues(De-listings, Admin & Board posts Recruiting & Drafting results)
will determine which way we head as a club
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2004, 12:20:12 AM »
but is it only me that is concerned about our inability to get enough of the ball and our inability to link up and run to support and attack in a dangerous fashion. 

I don't disagree with what you're saying Harry. We still make far too many goal-costing unforced errors through lack of skill and/or decision making and the peripheral vision of some of our blokes is often poor. That lack of running and linking footy Harry has been a MASSIVE deficiency over the years especially under Danny where over the past few years that style of footy is a necessity in modern footy. On the other hand the last couple of weeks we've been ok in this area earlier on in our games IMO (not great but at least satisfactory). Problem is as we tire the run from behind or to the side to receive a dished off handball dries up noticably. Fortunately we are continuing to play on and run to space to provide options so we can get the ball on quickly into our forward line. We've finished the last two games on strongly fitness wise.

But I for one am concerned with our huge deficiencies and am expecting us to fall in a heap.  Just remember that injuries have been kind to us so far. 

As I said in an earlier post we are way off from being top side standard. Our core is pretty good and we have some promising youngsters but still no depth. The thing is so does IMO 3/4 of the comp. As Collingwood, Hawthorn and now Port have found out if you can't get your best side on the park performing then you're stuffed. We are no different and I agree we have been lucky the past couple of weeks (although Cambo and Cogs are out). A few injuries to KP players and bottom 4 here we come.

The pleasing thing is by the sound of it Miller and finally now Danny (see Browny's comments in the media a week or so ago) are under no illusions of where we still are at either.     
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 12:23:33 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd