Author Topic: Richo becomes a Magpie member  (Read 3463 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo becomes a Magpie member
« on: August 21, 2008, 02:10:29 PM »
A golden member of the Devonport Magpies that is  ;)

Magpies to fly on golden wings
The Advocate
BY CHLOE HOPE
21/08/2008 9:51:00 AM

MATTHEW Richardson yesterday returned to his old stomping ground to become the first Golden Magpie.

The Tigers star, fresh from an outstanding weekend performance in Richmond's win over Hawthorn, jetted into the state to launch the Devonport Football Club's new membership drive.

Club general manager Jaimes Wiggins said the Golden Magpies were an exclusive membership and the extra money raised would be used wisely.

"It won't be for paying for six or seven new recruits or a gymnasium, it will go off our operating debt," he said.

The special membership will give the holder 10 years of membership with the club and a season pass for 10 years - regardless of which league the team plays in.

There will also be other benefits and functions for Golden Magpies, Wiggins said.

"Matthew has agreed to take on the number one ticket holder role and we are very grateful that one of our favourite sons wishes to put something back into his club."

In other matters, the Devonport Football Club will hold a meeting on Monday night to discuss the coaching structure for next year now that senior coach Steve Reissig has officially resigned.

http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/local/sport/afl/magpies-to-fly-on-golden-wings/1250233.aspx

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
Re: Richo becomes a Magpie member
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »
Looks like there have been a few changes down in Devonport.  I thought they used to wear the St. Kilda jumper ?

Ox

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »
Frightening :gobdrop

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 03:28:18 PM »
Lol, no disrespect towards Richo but in regards to his old club, it's no surprise Devonport is trying a gimmick like this.  An utter joke financially for years, needing support from the council to stay alive because of financial lunacy, and now a crap team as well once again.  LMFAO needing to promise "to use it wisely."  ::)   ;D

And Darth I have never heard of them being the Saints.  In my 20 decades of life they were the Magpies in the NTFL, then they became the Devonport Power when they joined the statewide league because Glenorchy claimed ownership on the Magpies logo and then when the statewide league split they returned to being the Magpies in the NTFL.

Maybe they were the Saints in a different league like the LFA or DFA?  I'm pretty sure there is a Latrobe Saints (about 10 minutes from Devonport) though in the LFA, their origin might have originally been Devonport.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:36:40 PM »
In my 20 decades of life.........
And I give you.....officially..... the oldest person on our forum, and not by a small margin either.

:gobdrop

;D

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 06:26:34 PM »
That is just wrong in so so so many ways 

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 06:41:36 PM »

What is, Richo wearing a Collingwood jumper, or tigersalive claiming to be 200 years old?
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »

What is, Richo wearing a Collingwood jumper, or tigersalive claiming to be 200 years old?

Richo man

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 11:11:40 PM »
In my 20 decades of life.........
And I give you.....officially..... the oldest person on our forum, and not by a small margin either.

:gobdrop

;D

ROFL.  I go back I long way Smokey.  ;) 

Back in my day . . . .   ;D

Not sure where that zero came from . . .

Oh well, call me Yoda.  :rollin   :D
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:03:44 AM »

Richo man
Collingwood had their grubby hands after Richo too as a youngster from memory but he stuck with his heart and we got him via the F/S rule.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 08:52:39 PM »

And Darth I have never heard of them being the Saints.  In my 20 decades of life they were the Magpies in the NTFL, then they became the Devonport Power when they joined the statewide league because Glenorchy claimed ownership on the Magpies logo and then when the statewide league split they returned to being the Magpies in the NTFL.

Don't doubt your memory ten-score perhaps more, I've seen a photo of Richo as a junior U-16's taking a speckky in a Saints jumper and thought it was Devonport - perhaps it could have been when Peter Knights was coaching if that helps to narrow it down ??

bushranger

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »
The title scared crap out of me. I thought that he was going to sign on with team Eddie at the end of the year.
But all power to him if his name can help out his old team. I hope he does it for them to keep going.
 :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 09:40:08 PM »
I thought before looking at the thread and just reading the title he was merely endorsing an ecological/ biological group that was raising funds to preserve the native habitats of magpies. :lol

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 10:48:04 AM »

And Darth I have never heard of them being the Saints.  In my 20 decades of life they were the Magpies in the NTFL, then they became the Devonport Power when they joined the statewide league because Glenorchy claimed ownership on the Magpies logo and then when the statewide league split they returned to being the Magpies in the NTFL.

Don't doubt your memory ten-score perhaps more, I've seen a photo of Richo as a junior U-16's taking a speckky in a Saints jumper and thought it was Devonport - perhaps it could have been when Peter Knights was coaching if that helps to narrow it down ??

I wouldnt bet on it, the old brain gets a bit rusty after 200 years. ;)  ;D  :wallywink

But seriously,

A google normally does the job and this morning I have time to muck around with it.

Well you're right about there being a Devonport Saints, but in the Leven Football Association at one stage, as shown by a GF appearance in the following link.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3920-0-0-0&sID=47011

So if he was under 16s perhaps he started in the LFA at the Saints as a youngster and then went up a level to the Northern Tasmanian Football League to the Devonport Magpies before being drafted.

Sounds like a plausible explanation to me for you seeing Richo in a Sainters jumper.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 05:57:15 PM »

I wouldnt bet on it, the old brain gets a bit rusty after 200 years. ;)  ;D  :wallywink

But seriously,

A google normally does the job and this morning I have time to muck around with it.

Well you're right about there being a Devonport Saints, but in the Leven Football Association at one stage, as shown by a GF appearance in the following link.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3920-0-0-0&sID=47011

So if he was under 16s perhaps he started in the LFA at the Saints as a youngster and then went up a level to the Northern Tasmanian Football League to the Devonport Magpies before being drafted.

Sounds like a plausible explanation to me for you seeing Richo in a Sainters jumper.  :thumbsup

Fantastic work bicentennial man.