Author Topic: Deledio wins the 2008 Army Award  (Read 1992 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio wins the 2008 Army Award
« on: September 03, 2008, 02:14:24 PM »
Deledio's Army Award nomination
richmondfc.com.au
Wed 03 September, 2008

RICHMOND'S Brett Deledio has earned a nomination for the round 22 AFL Army Award during the Tigers' big win over Melbourne at the MCG.

Deledio showed his pace and commitment to chase down and apply a tackle, resulting in a turnover for his team.

Tigers fans can view and vote for Deledio’s play at http://www.afl.com.au/armydefence.

The AFL Army Award celebrates on-field displays of courage, initiative and teamwork - characteristics synonymous with both the Australian Defence Force and the Australian Football League.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:36:24 PM by one-eyed »

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Re: Vote for Lids in the Army Award
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:00:34 PM »
What a crock this award is.
Even worse I work my backside off to help fund it.  :banghead
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Vote for Lids in the Army Award
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »
Lids' round 7 effort when he got crunched going back with the flight in the St Kilda game has made the 6 finalists...

http://afl.com.au/armydefence.

AFL Army Award: finalists announced
Fri 05 September, 2008

THE All-Australian selection committe has finalised the six players who are in the running to win the AFL Army Award, which also includes a $10,000 travel voucher and an Army experience.

Each week, three nominees were selected by an expert panel for the on-field actions that exemplified acts of courage, initiative and teamwork. The weekly nominee was then determined by public vote on afl.com.au.

Of the 22 nominees, the panel has now selected the following six players as the 2008 AFL Army Award finalists:

* Clinton Jones, St Kilda - Round 1
* Brendan Fevola, Carlton - Round 4
* Brett Deledio, Richmond - Round 7
* Ryan Gamble, Geelong - Round 8
* Gavin Urquhart, North Melbourne - Round 19
* Joe Anderson, Carlton - Round 21

The moments of play that earned these players nomination can be viewed online at http://afl.com.au/armydefence.

Fans have until Tuesday, September 9 to visit http://afl.com.au/armydefence and vote for the player they think best represents the Army’s core values of courage, initiative and teamwork.

The winner will be announced at the 2008 Coca-Cola All-Australian Dinner on Monday, September 15.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio wins the Army Award for courage
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »
Lids won the Army Award for courage  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Deledio wins the 2008 Army Award
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 08:40:05 PM »
Lids was interviewed by Dunstall on stage

* Improvement came from finally learning how hard you need to work at AFL level.

* Happy to keep mixing it up whereever Terry wants me to play. Happy to play more midfield next year though  ;).

* Hopefully young guys like Edwards, Connors and co can keep on improving and we can go a step further next year.

* The prize is he gets to fire rifles and ride tanks lol.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »
Brett Deledio wins 2008 Army Award
richmondfc.com.au
By Jennifer Witham
8:30 PM Mon 15 September, 2008

A BRAVE decision to put his body on the line in round seven this year has seen Richmond midfielder Brett Deledio claim the 2008 AFL Army Award.

Deledio, 21, found himself in contention for the prize after courageously attempting to mark while running back with the flight of the ball during the match against St Kilda back in early May.

He received 27 per cent of the public votes, which was endorsed by the All-Australian committee of Andrew Demetriou (chairman), Adrian Anderson, Rod Austin, Kevin Bartlett, Mark Bickley, Gerard Healy, Glen Jakovich and Robert Walls.

Deledio, who has played 84 games for Richmond since being drafted with the first selection in the 2004 NAB AFL Draft, finished ahead of Geelong's Ryan Gamble (23 per cent) and North Melbourne's Gavin Urquhart (20 per cent).

"It's a great thrill to win the Army Award. It's fantastic to see an award recognising acts of play that often go unnoticed," Deledio said.

“I’ve finally worked out how hard you have to work out there [on the football field].

“Hopefully we can move on to bigger and better things next year as a team.

The star Tiger was presented with his prize by Major General Mark Kelly, Land Commander Australia, at the All-Australian dinner held on Monday night.

Deledio will receive a $10,000 travel voucher and an Army experience for his efforts, something he is really looking forward to.

"They tell me it’s pretty good down there and I’m looking forward to getting down there and firing a few rifles and hanging out in tanks," Deledio said.

Chief of Army, Lieutenant General Ken Gillespie, commended Deledio on his award and performance throughout the year.

"On behalf of the Australian Army, I congratulate Brett Deledio on winning the 2008 AFL Army Award," he said.
"The spirit and determination he shows on the field each week exemplifies the Army's core values of courage, initiative and teamwork.

"He is a truly inspirational player who pushes himself to be his best."

Richmond coach Terry Wallace praised his young charge's performance this season.

"Brett has had a fantastic year and has really grown as a footballer," he said.

"I can clearly remember the moment of play that earned Brett his award back in round seven and recall thinking that it was the most courageous act I have ever seen on the football field by any player."

The AFL Army Award was introduced for the 2007 season to recognise match day acts which demonstrate courage, initiative and teamwork. The award aims to reward the one per cent style acts such as game breaking smothers, tackles and shepherds.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=67707

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 09:21:12 PM »
Congrats to Lids :bow
A tough tiger :thumbsup
Future Richmond Captain :cheers
Future Richmond Champion :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:51:57 PM »
Congrats to Lids :bow
A tough tiger :thumbsup
Future Richmond Captain :cheers
Future Richmond Champion :clapping
Ditto  :thumbsup  :clapping

I reckon Lids gained a heap of belief in himself from that collision and was one of the catalysts to his breakout year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 12:05:26 AM »
I didn't realise until Ross Lyon mentioned it tonight on 3aw that Stephen Baker came off second best badly (finished him off for the year) in that collision with Lids. I don't like seeing any player getting injured but Karma you little sniping thug  :yep.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:09:34 AM »
I didn't realise until Ross Lyon mentioned it tonight on 3aw that Stephen Baker came off second best badly (finished him off for the year) in that collision with Lids. I don't like seeing any player getting injured but Karma you little sniping thug  :yep.

He is a little scumbag! I remember him attempting a strike on Stafford and getting two weeks for his trouble plus Staff having a laugh at his expense. I think karma hits him when he plays us more than any other club.  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 02:49:30 AM »

He is a little scumbag! I remember him attempting a strike on Stafford and getting two weeks for his trouble plus Staff having a laugh at his expense. I think karma hits him when he plays us more than any other club.  :thumbsup
lol Staff knew how to handle himself on a footy field. Just ask Spider Everitt  ;).

I also remember Baker coming from behind Sugar at a stoppage and punching him in the head. What a brave act that was  ::). He and Milne are little twirps! Geez I hope we finally beat and flog that mob of pretenders.