Author Topic: Jamie Tape remembered ... special gift from Tigers supporter (Yorke Pen. Times)  (Read 1352 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jamie Tape remembered ...special gift from Tigers supporter       
Tuesday, 09 September 2008 
Journalist: Jenny Oldland
Yorke Peninsula Country Times

Jamie Tape was the first player from SYP to make the transition from local footy to the AFL via Woodville-West Torrens; drafted by Richmond then traded to Collingwood he played 91 games at AFL level.

Richmond supporter and great Jamie Tape fan Riley Wolff, pictured with Jamie’s seven year-old son Tom, who was taken to Melbourne by grandparents Peter and Kathy Tape to collect the special locker Riley decided to gift to the family.

Jamie’s untimely death in January 2003 at 28, following his return to South Australia and the Eagles, rocked not only the communities of Coobowie and Edithburgh where he grew up but also the football fraternity in both states.

His sheer determination to play at the game’s top level and his prowess on the football field attracted many fans throughout his career, none more so than Tigers supporter Riley Wolff who recently made the decision to gift some very special memorabilia to Jamie’s son, Tom.

Riley Wolff was just nine years old when Jamie moved to Melbourne to become a ‘Tiger’. Debuting in Round 1 March 1994, Jamie instantly became Riley’s favourite player during his three seasons and 67 games with the club. 

“When everyone else was in awe of Cambo, Daffy or Richo I couldn’t get enough of Jamie. I even remember calling the editor of Sports Weekly magazine to point out that ‘Sticky’, as he was called, had been duped on the vote count and they promptly corrected their error,” Riley says.

“My mother is the creative type and thought what better birthday present for me one year than making a replica of the lockers at ‘Tigerland’ and getting Jamie to autograph it. I still remember one Saturday afternoon at the ‘G’ after the game hanging around until about 6.30 for the players to walk back to Punt Road, seeing him and getting the locker signed. Over the years Jamie was at Richmond I sent him several letters and illustrations and even now as an adult I enjoy watching old VHS tapes of his games, especially the ’95 season, which I’m sure all Tiger fans remember fondly!”

While the locker meant a great deal to Riley, and still took pride of place in his garage where he and his mates spend time watching footy, several months ago he contacted the Richmond Football Club offering his locker and signed centenary jumper to Jamie’s family as a gift and an example of how much he meant to Tiger supporters.

To receive the gifts from Riley personally, 7 year-old Tom travelled to Melbourne with grandparents Peter and Kathy Tape for Richmond’s Round 16 game against Essendon. Decked out in all the Tiger’s gear, Tom was also able to share the occasion with young cousins Nick and Sam, Uncle Simon Tape and his partner Mel. And not only did the boys get to experience a game at the MCG, they were able to sing the Tigers song, which they had spent some time practising, after their win against the Bombers!

The locker is now installed in Tom’s bedroom back home in Port Lincoln, where he lives with Mum Kelly, her partner Christian and baby sister Grace. Tom has just finished playing his first season with the Lincoln South Under 9s, beginning his footy career early just like his father, who started with the Edithburgh Minis before going on to be the youngest ever winner of the SYP Football League’s Mail and Tape Medals (best and fairest A Grade player) at just 17 years of age.

“It is gorgeous to think there are people out there who still remember Jamie, and that someone would be kind enough to give something like this to Tom, not to mention taking the trouble to track us down through the Richmond Football Club,” Kelly said.

Tom apparently took the whole trip, which included flying from Port Lincoln to Adelaide unaccompanied, in his stride and while the big highlight of the trip was always going to be the chance to play with Nick and Sam, Kelly said, he was also very aware that he was going to see the ground where his father played in Melbourne.

Richmond supporter and great Jamie Tape fan Riley Wolff, pictured with Jamie’s seven year-old son Tom, who was taken to Melbourne by grandparents Peter and Kathy Tape to collect the special locker Riley decided to gift to the family

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
What a fantastic story.

Well done Riley.

I used to love the way that Tape went about his footy while at Richmond.

Very sad story with the way he ended up.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
The first number I ever had on my Richmond Jumper was a #5 for Jamie Tape

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
Riley Wolff was just nine years old when Jamie moved to Melbourne to become a ‘Tiger’

If there was ever proof that supporting Richmond is a wretched life, do the math on the above and have a look at poor old Riley. He's only 25 by my calculations.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
What a fantastic story.

Well done Riley.

i remember one game against the crows we won by a few points. I was only a kid but he played a big part in getting us over the line.

car accident wasn't it. possible heart attack or stroke or something like that, cant remember.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Had just recovered from cancer then had a brain aneurysm while driving

Hellenic Tiger

What a fantastic story.

Well done Riley.

i remember one game against the crows we won by a few points. I was only a kid but he played a big part in getting us over the line.

car accident wasn't it. possible heart attack or stroke or something like that, cant remember.

Agree fantastic story.
Game you are referring to Daniel was 1994 when we beat the Crows in SA by 7 points. Had the last kick of the game after the siren in that game but kicked it out on the full.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
What a fantastic gesture by Riley Wolff :clapping. Stories like this make you feel proud to be a Tiger supporter.

Like TFL, I loved the way Sticky Tape went about his footy. A key component of our back 6 in 95 under Northey when we made the finals after 13 long years in the wilderness. Sadly stuggled and went out of favour under Walls before being traded to the Pies. Simply was a tragedy to die at such a young age leaving a wife and young son behind  :(.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd