Author Topic: Deledio vs Cooney  (Read 2029 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio vs Cooney
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:58:34 AM »
Both #1 draft picks with Cooney taken the year before and 18 months older than Lids.

Comparing Lids' Brownlow votes with Cooney's over their brief careers so far, Lids could be a show in his 5th year in 2009 as Cooney was this year. The only thing Lids hasn't done yet though is score 3 votes in a game from the umps in his first 4 years.

Lids        Cooney
1st year:      2            3
2nd year:     -            12
3rd year:     5             4
4th year:     8             9
5th year:     ??          24

bushranger

Re: Deledio vs Cooney
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 07:33:57 AM »
I still prefer Deledio over Cooney, as I think Cooney will have the same problems as Whittnal, did in weight issues as he gets older .
But I to though Deledio that with the flair he has got he would have poled better than he did.
And I think he's a better play maker than Cooney. But this could all be too one eyed.  :gotigers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:41:13 PM »
But I to though Deledio that with the flair he has got he would have poled better than he did.
Perhaps this year will attract the umps' attention towards Lids in 2009. He polled in 5 games.

Cooney had a top H/A season but he went missing in the finals when the doggies needed him. I'm happy we've got Lids. He's more versatile - can play mid, forward or across HB.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »
Lids has more upside.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 11:31:45 PM »

Cooney had a top H/A season but he went missing in the finals when the doggies needed him.

A fractured kneecap will slow you down somewhat.

Thought that a few of the Doggies more senior players were glaringly absent, eg Gia, Bald Eagle

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »

Cooney had a top H/A season but he went missing in the finals when the doggies needed him.

A fractured kneecap will slow you down somewhat.

Thought that a few of the Doggies more senior players were glaringly absent, eg Gia, Bald Eagle
Fair enough DT.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:51 PM »
cooney is a brownlow medalist. similar age as lids. obviously cooney's your man.

Lids is bridging the gap but still got work to do.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 11:32:11 PM »
similar age as lids.
Cooney is almost 2 years older which is a fair amount considering Lids is miles from his peak
If you align their starting years, Lids is ahead of Cooney even given the age difference
In fact statistically Lids had a better year this year than Cooney, give him another preseason or two and he'll be miles in front

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 12:06:08 AM »
We could do with a Cooney type. I think he's better in the clinches although Lids outside game will eventually be better. Cooney is a wonderful player though, hardly surprising when you are a top pick and come into a dogs team with West, Johnno, Smith and a couple of other decent mids to help your development. Lids has been pretty consistent this season but hasn't really been influential and destroy a team for four quarters for me yet.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 12:38:54 AM »
similar age as lids.

Cooney - mid age player 03
Deledio - very bottom age 04 draft

1.5+ years is a big difference, Lids only recently turne 21.

Stop talking bollock Daniel.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 08:36:14 AM »
similar age as lids.

similar age can u not read u blind freak.

i didn't say exact age i said similar age, and 1 and a half years is a similar age.

Loser

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 08:48:01 AM »
similar age as lids.

i didn't say exact age i said similar age, and 1 and a half years is a similar age.

Loser
Except you're saying Cooney is better given he's a brownlow medalist. 1.5 years may not be much, but at the same age, Cooney was not setting the world on fire at all, 2008 was his first really good year. So if 1.5 years is the difference between run of the mill and brownlow medalist, then to say Cooney is your man is ridiculous when Lids is miles ahead at the same age.

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 08:49:01 AM »
daniel youknow that in afl terms 1.5 yrs is quite a bit of difference, especially in their early years of football. Why do posters continually understate /undermine the status of our players,for some posters what the players do will never be good enough. Incidentally it will be interesting to see how the doggies coaching staff rate Cooneys year in their B&F

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 08:51:41 AM »
similar age as lids.

Loser
Except you're saying Cooney is better given he's a brownlow medalist. 1.5 years may not be much, but at the same age, Cooney was not setting the world on fire at all, 2008 was his first really good year. So if 1.5 years is the difference between run of the mill and brownlow medalist, then to say Cooney is your man is ridiculous when Lids is miles ahead at the same age.

hey calm down tiger. I love lids more than the next guy. I have said all year i want him made Captain.
He is the perfect player and probably this time next year ill be saying Lids over Cooney.

But right now we are yet to see the read lids. I want to see him play finals which he hasn't yet.
I want to see him dominate games consistently.

Hard to go past a brownlow medalist who had the year that Cooney had. His first half was incredible.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »
hey calm down tiger. I love lids more than the next guy. I have said all year i want him made Captain.
He is the perfect player and probably this time next year ill be saying Lids over Cooney.

But right now we are yet to see the read lids. I want to see him play finals which he hasn't yet.
I want to see him dominate games consistently.

Hard to go past a brownlow medalist who had the year that Cooney had. His first half was incredible.
But comparing the players "right now" is unfair, 1.5 years may be not much if the players are 25 and 26 1/2 but when one of them is still only 21, then 1.5 years is a lot.
Lids still had a better year statistically than Cooney this year regardless, especially on the offensive side of the game in goals kicked, goal assists and inside 50s.