Author Topic: Grand Final thread / Your Predictions?  (Read 3768 times)

Moi

Re: Grand Final thread / Your Predictions?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 11:17:58 AM »
1. Winner and margin?  Cats 35, but I'm hoping for more  ;D

2. Norm Smith medallist? Brad Ottens

3. Will you be watching it?  Are the Kennedys gun shy?

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 11:34:24 AM »
1. Winner and margin? Geelong, once they get past the famed zone, will steamroll them and win by 10 goals

2. Norm Smith medallist? Cam Mooney ($26)

3. Will you be watching it? No, I've just got my hands on an illegally downloaded copy of revenge of the nerds 3, might watch that instead.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 01:53:19 PM »
No, I've just got my hands on an illegally downloaded copy of revenge of the nerds 3, might watch that instead.

Is there room for one more on your couch?  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »
1. Winner and margin?  Geelong by 27 points (after leading by 40 at 3qt)

2. Norm Smith medallist? Selwood

3. Will you be watching it? Yes - but only to catch the GF sprint at half time....go White Lightning...uphold the tradition. :gotigers

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 06:30:41 PM »
Just abit of Q and A generally other than the questions being asked.
If you were a normal person not a troll as 99.99% of Hawk fans are and your team was in the Grand Final wouldn't you be ecstatic about being in a Grand Final not smug about what other teams exploits have been over the last 25 years. Especially as you have not won anything yet? I know what I'd be doing if the Tigs were playing and that would be living for the moment and if they won hand out all the receipts that I have written out over the years with the glee of a heterosexual bloke in a room full of buxom 20 yo virgins all to himself. Anyway I'm rambling on about the future back to the present or not so distant future.

1. Winner and margin? Geelong 48 points  :pray

2. Norm Smith medallist? Gary Ablett  :pray

3. Will you be watching it? Yes with the rest of my family who are Hawthorn supporters and it could be payback time. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 03:57:38 PM »
Well it's lived up to the hype although the Cats have stuffed up in front of goal. Hawks lucky to be in front but bad kicking is bad footy by Geelong. Nice fair bump by Scarlett on Buddy lol. Mitchell is a sniper with his flying elbows.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 06:27:52 PM »
Hawks fans are going to even more unbearable now  :P but at least Crawf deservedly leaves the game with a premiership. We can also say we were the last ones to beat the premiers lol. In fact our win was probably the reason why Hodge was moved back into defence as sweeper/quarterback in the corridor and won him a Norm Smith.

It ended up being a replay of the 1998 GF. Like North, Geelong blew it in the second quarter not putting their dominance on the scoreboard keeping Hawthorn in the game. 1.9 and then 6.20 after quarter time where the Hawks made the most of every inside 50. Just further shows how critical goalkicking is in footy. Geelong also lost it at the selection table. Varcoe and Stokes had absolute shockers.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 07:07:24 PM »
The Hawks dominated down back and rebounding from D50.

Geelong couldnt match their run in the end as well as missing some goals and also making some terrible decisions when they had players on inside 50.

Well done to the Hawks, they deserve it.

Hopefully in 2 years our backline will be even better and deliver us a flag.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 07:43:49 PM »
Hawks fans are going to even more unbearable now  :P but at least Crawf deservedly leaves the game with a premiership.

I'm no Geelong fan but the dawks poo me, too late now, we just must MUST win a flag in the next 2-3 years.

One thing I said to a mate was the only reason I would not hold a grudge against the farmers would be for Crawford, he deserves one.

Spewin - GO STORM

You know one thing good that came out of it, the Geelong handbag tag hasn't quite dissappeared yet. :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 08:39:34 PM »
I don't see us winning a flag in the next 2-3 years to be honest but hey you never know. That's 2-3 years more experience and development, 2-3 years more drafts worth of players, and all our new facilities at Punt Rd and Craigieburn will be finished and is use by then.

You know one thing good that came out of it, the Geelong handbag tag hasn't quite dissappeared yet. :rollin
Yep self-destruction in front of goal. 20 more inside 50s, 17 more clearances and 9 more scoring shots. The Cats should had won by 5 goals plus but they chocked. Otto and Mooney especially missed absolute sitters.

I don't think Thompson will be snacking on his lunch in the box anymore.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 08:44:59 PM »
What are peoples thoughts on allowing an extra man on the bench for the GF.

Seemingly every year some poor b@stard who played the preliminary final misses out because someone is returning from injury and suspension. I know that if two players were returning you would then have the situation again, but statistically it would happen less.
I wouldn't add an ex-player as that changes the game and tactics but I would say if you've played some many games during the year then you should receive some recognition of helping the team get to a Granny. In the US they give everyone associated with the winning franchise a champion ring.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 11:50:36 PM »
Like North, Geelong blew it in the second quarter not putting their dominance on the scoreboard keeping Hawthorn in the game. 1.9 and then 6.20 after quarter time where the Hawks made the most of every inside 50. Just further shows how critical goalkicking is in footy.

Hawthorn somehow managed to boss Geelong. Cats couldn't break the lines and Hawks got numbers back so that Geelong had a conested forward line. On the rebound Hawks managed to find the extra man and get it in early. Cats blew it in Q2, but thereafter they were forced wide for many of their set shots.

Who else tipped the Hawks  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 02:31:51 PM »
Hawthorn somehow managed to boss Geelong. Cats couldn't break the lines and Hawks got numbers back so that Geelong had a conested forward line. On the rebound Hawks managed to find the extra man and get it in early. Cats blew it in Q2, but thereafter they were forced wide for many of their set shots.

Who else tipped the Hawks  ;D
Did you have some hard earned on it jake? Would've done nicely out of it.

I know others will disagree with me here as they did after our loss to Carlton were we missed sitter after sitter but footy is such a momentum game nowdays and when it's your turn you've got to make the most of it on the scoreboard. Scoreboard pressure is huge. The Cats put more and more pressure on themselves with each and every miss. They would've gone into half-time gutted to be behind on the scoreboard knowing that in general play they were playing all over the Hawks. Mooney missing from 5m out after the siren (imagine the uproar if that was Richo) and Otto's selfish miss lol ignoring Lonergan in the goalsquare. Actually it was first time in 2 years Geelong played selfish footy ignoring wide open teammates inside 50. The pressure of failing to score got to them.

Hawthorn did well to keep their composure, discipline (apart from Mitchell) and stick to their gameplan (Hodge plonked in the defensive corridor) despite the onslaught but that was made easier because there was no scoreboard pressure on them. Geelong would've used plenty of juice too in that onslaught period for no reward. When the momentum wheel eventually turned (2nd half of both 3rd and 4th quarters) the Hawks made them pay.

The worse thing about yesterday is the AFL will now bring in another rule change to counter deliberate rushed behinds  :banghead after Hawthorn conceded 11 of them.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 08:37:40 PM »
The most interesting things that I took out of the GF yesterday was:

1/ Geelong had no plan B, C, D or anything. When they got in strife they didn't try anything different  :o. The 2nd qtr killed them, bad kicking = bad footy. Some of their "stars" faltered. Thank goodness for Junior. Actually will admit any doubts I had about Junior were dispelled with his efforts yesterday, he busted his guts, sadly some of his mates cannot say the same thing.

2/ Skill errors - couldn't believe the Geelong skill errors... it reminded me of ...er.... us  :rollin

3/ With the exception of Hodge it was the lesser lights of the Dawks that won them that game. It wasn't Buddy (who went missing - kicked goals when the game was over see 6 below) or Mitchell (who was more interested in sniping) but the likes of Ladsen, Osborne, Young, Gilham who set that game up for them

4/ Mitchell is a sniper and should get 4 weeks for his hit on Junior - clearly didn't have eyes on the ball. And he is very lucky he didn't collect that Cats player (who I cannot remember in the 1st) with his elbow or he'd be looking at 6 weeks for that alone. That isn't leadership, that's cowardly

5/ Cyril Rioli is going to be stae

6/ Buddy - very dispoointing yesterday - kicked goals when the game had been broken open. And he gets hit twice and both times he hits the ground like he's been shot looking for a free. Soft as custard was Buddy  ;D

Not looking forward to work tomorrow ...so many Dawk supporters   :chuck :chuck :chuck  UNBEARABLE it will be

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 03:06:22 PM »
Sammy Mitchell cleared.

what a disgrace the Match Review panel are.

bunch of fuckheads
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.