Author Topic: The Nathan Brown trade 5 years on  (Read 1415 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Nathan Brown trade 5 years on
« on: October 09, 2008, 02:57:53 AM »
The AFL site has listed trades for each club where one club has come out well on top. For us they chose our trade for Browny:

Richmond, 2003
Draft picks six (Kepler Bradley) and 20 (Sam Butler) to the Western Bulldogs for Nathan Brown

It kick-started the infamous 'Veale deal' for the Bulldogs but, from the Tigers' perspective, parting with selections six and 20 for clever goalkicker Brown was no worry. After finishing 13th, Richmond wanted a high-profile recruit and got its man. Just as he was nearing his best in 2005, a sickening leg break and related injuries made it difficult for Brown to find consistency for the next two years. It seems his fortunes have turned; the 30-year-old kicked 35 goals in 18 games in 2008 as the Tigers finished ninth.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68787

How would you rate the trade for Browny in hindsight?

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The Nathan Brown trade 5 years on
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:23:43 AM »
In hindsight of just the picks in general and what we have got out of Brown:  Pretty Bad.

In Hindsight of who was picked with those picks compared to what we have got out of Brown:  Not too bad.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Tigermonk

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:59:33 AM »
no-one can judge the Nathan Brown trade.
he got seriously injured & is lucky to play football again let alone AFL.
just take a look at Jamie Lawson (Sydney) he never recovered & walks with a limp these days.
Nathan needs a big season in 2009, With a good pre season he is a huge part for our push to the finals as he plays for the club with pride.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:07:27 AM »
no-one can judge the Nathan Brown trade.
he got seriously injured & is lucky to play football again let alone AFL.
just take a look at Jamie Lawson (Sydney) he never recovered & walks with a limp these days.
Nathan needs a big season in 2009, With a good pre season he is a huge part for our push to the finals as he plays for the club with pride.

Good Call
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »
Was the best player in the AFL in 05 untill he snapped his leg.

I remember he kicked 4 goals in the last 1/4 vs Jimmy Clement to win us the match. We were 7-2, with an average list.

Fingers crossed he adds class and skill in the forward line in 09. Bit of a wildcard - in a young team he could be very important, if he finds form and kicks 40+ goals.

Could play for another 3+ years.

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »

I remember he kicked 4 goals in the last 1/4 vs Jimmy Clement to win us the match. We were 7-2, with an average list.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:55:31 PM »

he's been a good player, without looking it up, my guess is he averages ~ 2goals a game which is a pretty good return from a medium forward , a cruel blow that badly broken leg, has actually returned better than most would have thought, has 2 years left for mine ...lets hope we can have success :thumbsup
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »
Was the right deal at the time

I know it's not fair to talk about "what ifs" but what if he hadn't had that horrific brkone leg....

I reckon we be saying it was close to the best trade we made... well at least on par with the one for Broderick which is probably the best we've done ;D

Showed signs this year of being back to his best, honestly believe he'll better again next season

:gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 10:18:01 PM »
worth every cent.

He gave us something to aspire to at a time where we were desperate for good football from a tiger............especially the kids.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:44:13 PM »
Overall a win for us, can't factor in things like what happened 'horrific day at the football, one I will never forget' as I'm sure most who were there wont.

May just get the pay check sooner than some think, one thing about Browny, he is one of those players when he gets it you just know he is gunna do something useful with it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 03:34:29 PM »
The broken leg robbed Browny of his best footy (and a Brownlow) but given the 2003 draft was weak and the alternative to Browny was Kepler Bradley  :help we couldn't lose. When Browny arrived we realised how far behind our so called best players at the time were compared to the best at other clubs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online skiddymcghee

• Future Richmond star
  • "Be the Ball
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »
Even with his tragic injury in 05, I reckon we still came out on top by a long way, looking at who was selected in that draft!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 05:25:47 PM »
Love Browny - One of the classiest footballers to walk through the RFC's doors in the past 20 years.
We were robbed of his best by that injury.

Agree he was worth every cent.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »
Love Browny - One of the classiest footballers to walk through the RFC's doors in the past 20 years.
We were robbed of his best by that injury.

Agree he was worth every cent.

without the injury he was worth every cent, with the injury and hindsight wish we never got him
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.