Author Topic: Past Tiger trades: was it worth it?  (Read 998 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Past Tiger trades: was it worth it?
« on: October 10, 2008, 04:55:27 AM »
The AFL site has posted a list of past trades asking "was it worth it?". There's 4 Richmond ones.

Trade week: was it worth it?
By Steve Lavell
Thu 09 October, 2008

CIRCUMSTANCES mean some trades need to be done. There are clubs that have dealt well, others that have broken even while a few just had to move on.

1. Kane Johnson and picks 12 (Jay Schulz) and 41 (Tim Fleming) to Richmond and picks two (Daniel Wells) and 18 (Kris Shore) to North Melbourne for Wayne Carey, Jason Torney and pick 32 (Luke Jericho) in 2002

There were mixed emotions for Johnson, who played in both of Adelaide's premierships but had barracked for Richmond growing up. It weakened the Crows' midfield moving him on, but they saw bright lights with the arrival of Carey. Exiled by his former club, the champion centre half-forward, while 31, looked fresh from a year off but a neck injury forced his retirement after 28 games. The Crows got 77 out of Torney before delisting him at the end of 2007, while North has plenty more to come from the talented Wells. Johnson has been the Tigers' captain for the last four seasons.

2. Brad Ottens to Geelong for picks 12 (Danny Meyer) and 16 (Adam Pattison) in 2004

Pattison or Meyer may reward the Tigers yet, but All-Australian Ottens took little time to thrive at the Cattery. Disgruntled after 129 games and 152 goals, and with a stronger emphasis on playing as a forward than in the ruck, it has been quite the opposite at Geelong. Ottens paired well with Steven King, and even emerged as the preferred ruckman as the Cats claimed their first flag in 44 years. Despite missing the first nine games of 2008, Ottens returned for an impact and, just 28, more success could await him.

3. Greg Stafford to Richmond for Nick Daffy in 2001

Sydney-bred Stafford became a key figure for the Swans and was one of the competition's best big men as the side won its way to the grand final in 1996. He reached 130 games but consistency had dwindled and, after groin and hip injuries ravaged his 2001 season, he was traded to the Tigers for crafty half-forward Daffy. Stafford was important in 74 more as a ruckman and a forward, while Daffy played just one game and kicked one goal – losing a battle with a knee injury and a passion that had pleased so many fans in his time at Punt Road.

4. pick 57 (Steven Sziller) to Richmond for Mark Merenda in 2000

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68830

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Past Tiger trades: was it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:34:48 AM »
Outside of Freo we have the worst recruiting record in the AFL.

stuffin disgraceful to be honest.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 09:21:05 AM »
Trades 3 and 4 were good ones IMO. Ottens has never been the same since his pole dancing incident and if he was in a dud team right now it would show his best form was left at the tigers. So therefore that trade wasn't too bad either especially if Danny has a breakout year in 09.

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 12:26:05 PM »
2. Brad Ottens to Geelong for picks 12 (Danny Meyer) and 16 (Adam Pattison) in 2004

Pattison or Meyer may reward the Tigers yet, but All-Australian Ottens took little time to thrive at the Cattery. Disgruntled after 129 games and 152 goals, and with a stronger emphasis on playing as a forward than in the ruck, it has been quite the opposite at Geelong. Ottens paired well with Steven King, and even emerged as the preferred ruckman as the Cats claimed their first flag in 44 years. Despite missing the first nine games of 2008, Ottens returned for an impact and, just 28, more success could await him.

That is a very generous appraisal of Brad Ottens. He was AA with us, not Geelong, and for the first two years the trade was considered a dud - Thompson had to ask the media to back off. He wasn't disgruntled with his playing position, it was simply that RFC wanted to reduce his package after some poor years and Geelong offered him a substantial increase. He has had one good year with Geelong - good luck to him, but let's not get carried away.

The players we got for him have been a poor return, but he was always leaving once Geelong got into his ear.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:41:14 PM »

1. Kane Johnson and picks 12 (Jay Schulz) and 41 (Tim Fleming) to Richmond and picks two (Daniel Wells) and 18 (Kris Shore) to North Melbourne for Wayne Carey, Jason Torney and pick 32 (Luke Jericho) in 2002

Johnson/Schulz is a break even with Adelaide and a win over North.

Current loss but the jury is still out.

Big win for Richmond.

Win for Richmond.

Yep, proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are a disgrace and the worst recruiting club behind Fremantle.   ::)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 12:54:46 PM »

Johnson/Schulz is a break even with Adelaide and a win over North.

Current loss but the jury is still out.

Big win for Richmond.

Win for Richmond.

Yep, proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are a disgrace and the worst recruiting club behind Fremantle.   ::)

yes we are poo at recruiting you fool.

JON
Meyer
Schulz
Pathetic Pettifer
Tambling
patterson
Fiora
Lounder
Sugar

what a very average group of footballers we have here.

over time we have been very consistent at stuffin up the draft.

Merenda- wow what a champion player. your a joke if your using him in an argument.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 01:29:41 PM »

Another balanced, mature response full of childish name calling.

JON
Meyer
Schulz
Pathetic Pettifer
Tambling
patterson
Fiora
Lounder
Sugar

Is that all you could come up with over a 20 year spread?  I will set you a challenge if you think you are right.  Make a list of names and I will bet you I can come up with a corresponding list from many other teams that will match each recruiting faux pais of ours.

Merenda- wow what a champion player. your a joke if your using him in an argument.

Not sure what lollies you have been munching but read what I posted.  We won that trade because Merenda was far less value to West Coast than Sziller was to us.  Or maybe I should be taking it a bit easy on you - your concentration is obviously shot with all your financial ideals crumbling around your feet.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 02:34:37 PM »

Another balanced, mature response full of childish name calling.

JON
Meyer
Schulz
Pathetic Pettifer
Tambling
patterson
Fiora
Lounder
Sugar

Is that all you could come up with over a 20 year spread?  I will set you a challenge if you think you are right.  Make a list of names and I will bet you I can come up with a corresponding list from many other teams that will match each recruiting faux pais of ours.

Not sure what lollies you have been munching but read what I posted.  We won that trade because Merenda was far less value to West Coast than Sziller was to us.  Or maybe I should be taking it a bit easy on you - your concentration is obviously shot with all your financial ideals crumbling around your feet.

what little you know!!!
When the chips are down my friend buy more. Our country has sound fundamentals in place and its idiots like you who dont have a clue how to run their finances and then cry poor when poo hits the fan.

Property hasn't fallen buddy :thumbsup, well not in my area anyhow. Perhaps in North Frankston they have where you live.

back to the topic and if you cant see we have failed in every draft then you have issues.

"NO FINALS" Understand what that means??? 25 years and nothing to show for it means we have got it wrong most of the time.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »
daniel you have proven yet again that you always view the tigers through mud encrusted glasses.  ::)
How you put tambling in your list I have no idea! Did you watch any games last year at all??

He had 384 disposals and laid on 72 tackles for the season. If that is your version of a dud then you are seriously deluded.

Who was it that in the dying seconds of the match against the lions that ran almost the full length of the field to receive a handball from Matty white and then kicked truly onto Joel's chest for the match winner???  

You probably didn't see that one as you were fogged in by your usual cloud of bias.  ::)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »
1. 2002 was a poor draft in hindsight. I think people would complain whichever way we went. Daniel Wells is maligned at North for not doing enough. Imagine how much criticism he would've copped at Richmond if we had kept our first pick (mind you we traded our pick before the sanctions against Carlton when it was pick 4 = Luke Livingston). Sugar is bagged as a player but the club rates him highly for the professionalism he brings so if the current cubs learn and develop their footy the right way then we've done alright out of this deal.

2. The idea of trading Otto was right. If he had stayed and had one good year in the next 4 after just one good year in his first 7, the club would have been criticised for not trading him. So the trade was good for us. Unfortunately we didn't/haven't made it pay at the draft table so it looks poor. In hindsight it would've have been better to accept one early first pick (< pick 8 ) rather than two first rounders but too late for that now.

3. We also gave up 2001 superdraft pick 17 in the Stafford/Daffy trade as well and still had to pay $$$ for Daffy while at the Swans. A major stuff up thanks to our TPP structure at the time. Daffy along with Knighter, Richo and Cambo had been signed up on $$$ in 1999 so we needed to free up salary cap space by offloading Daffy. Benny Gale was then forced to retire to keep Gas and Holland at Punt Rd so we needed to chase for another ruckman. A domino effect of incompetence when you add Hudson and Houlihan  :scream.

4. Merenda's back was stuffed and Sziller had a decent year in 2001. A short term win.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 02:49:39 PM »
daniel you have proven yet again that you always view the tigers through mud encrusted glasses.  ::)
How you put tambling in your list I have no idea! Did you watch any games last year at all??

He had 384 disposals and laid on 72 tackles for the season. If that is your version of a dud then you are seriously deluded.

Who was it that in the dying seconds of the match against the lions that ran almost the full length of the field to receive a handball from Matty white and then kicked truly onto Joel's chest for the match winner???  

You probably didn't see that one as you were fogged in by your usual cloud of bias.  ::)

Not enough mate, not enough.

Yes i saw that one dont worry. Great Pass. The fact you can remember single efforts like that says to me it happens few and far between.

Unlike lids who is a genuine superstar, kicks the goals, breaks tackles and runs runs and runs.

I have not missed a game in 3 years, i go to all games in melb and at least 2 every year around the country.

When the players deserve a wrap i give it (lids, Moore, richo, Mcguane) but in tambo's case i dont think he does enough. gets caught too many times, doesn't use his pace enough and does NOT kick goals. Another Raines!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 03:18:13 PM »
Tambling wasn't a trade but in fairness to Blingers he played often in defence this year so it's hard to kick goals from there.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd