Author Topic: How did you rate our trade week?  (Read 1856 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How did you rate our trade week?
« on: October 10, 2008, 02:07:01 PM »
As per thread title - How did you rate our trade week?

In: Adam Thomson (Port)

Picks: 8, 26, 58, 74, ......

Offline Ball!

• Future Richmond star
Re: How did you rate our trade week?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 02:22:34 PM »
6/10

I'm definatly not sold the idea of trading for a player that couldn't get a game for Port for alot of the year. Whether it be fitness issues, application issues, coaching issues, or what, it just doesn't bode well with me. Hopefully he can do a mitch morton though.

Considering Essendon got Prismal for their 3rd rounder rubs salt into the wounds. Even if Prismall doesn't play next year (meant to play half season), he is a proven player and I would have like us to get him. Has more upside compared to Thomson imo aswell.

I would have also liked us to get Seaby or some ruckman. Our ruck stocks and future ruckman are the worst in the comp  ???

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 02:26:15 PM »
6/10

I'm definatly not sold the idea of trading for a player that couldn't get a game for Port for alot of the year. Whether it be fitness issues, application issues, coaching issues, or what, it just doesn't bode well with me. Hopefully he can do a mitch morton though.

Considering Essendon got Prismal for their 3rd rounder rubs salt into the wounds. Even if Prismall doesn't play next year (meant to play half season), he is a proven player and I would have like us to get him. Has more upside compared to Thomson imo aswell.

I would have also liked us to get Seaby or some ruckman. Our ruck stocks and future ruckman are the worst in the comp  ???

Corrie and Primsall....hahahahahahaha  Primsall FFS

adam who?????????????

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »
I am supportive of Thomson but overall I think we failed to achieve what we had to. We had to try and trade for a ruckman- we didnt get one, we probably needed to try and get a key forward- we didnt get one, Thomson is in and under, but Prismall was a better deal for Essendon than Thomson is for us, we didnt off load any average types at all. Overall disappointing. And yes I know people will say that players we needed were not available ... but if other clubs seem to make things happen ie. Carlton in this instance and Hawthorn before them, we havent been able to match them.

4/10 maybe a 5/10 so people dont feel cut.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:09:12 PM by Ramps »

Con65

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 02:55:31 PM »
I know that people say a third rounder is a speculative pick, but Essendon's pick up of Prismall (including a reconstructed knee) seems less speculative than our pick up of Thomo.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 03:36:34 PM »
3/10. Very disappointing.

Basically the same reasons as what Ramps has said except I wasn't supportive of the Thomson deal. Paid too much in terms of a 3rd round pick for a ordinary fringe player and now we're left with only 2 picks in the top 50 of a strong draft. I was expecting us to be more bold and offload someone who may have had value (Schulz for example) to do another trade. We also didn't address a desperate need whereas a Carlton did.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 03:47:13 PM »
I was hoping for another second round pick by trading someone like Schulz but I am not unhappy with the Thomson deal. I don't think we have a lot of room for a speculative draft pick in our young developing list and are really just topping up and filling holes at the moment. Thomson fills a need and our first two picks will surely bring us some more talent while a 3rd round pick coming on is statistically a gamble at best.

I would give us a 7/10 and leave my fingers crossed that Thomson lives up to his initial draft selection potential of 2004 rather than his time at Port. Change of club and opportunity does wonderful things to some players and we need more in and under types with Johnno retiring soon and Cogs still iffy.

Now we need to draft a big ruck/forward.

Stripes

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 04:10:42 PM »
I am happy we still have first 2 picks..

Thommo was former pick #11, another highly rated player from the Deledio/04 draft. I am content with this, 3rd rounder is not too bad.

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 04:53:39 PM »
I think you overrate Prismall, let's wait and see what he does in a lesser side,he may excel but lets wait to pass judgement. I'm not sure if a few Geelong players didn't get exposed for being good ordinary footballers in the GF.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 07:02:26 PM »
3/10
Over paid for a player who was out of contract, wanted to leave and is a good chance of only being a solid SANFL/VFL player. 4th rounder should have been the bare minimum he paid or risk him going into the PSD.
Port won that trade by a mile, we couldn't trade any of our fringe players for even a 4th rounder either so it puts it all in perspective.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 07:09:06 PM »
Where is your club at?
By Adam Cooper
5:50 PM Fri 10 October, 2008

Richmond
Got Thomson for a reasonable price, which represents a win-win. Were keen on prising ruckman Mark Seaby from West Coast, but it did not eventuate.

Changes: Traded pick 42 for Thomson
Draft picks: 8, 26, 58, 74, 90

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68915

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 07:14:16 PM »
Look nothing too exciting but the more time that has passed since the Thomsom deal for us has hapenned the more I feel that he might be okay for us.
Overall maybe a 5 at best. I am just thankful we did not give anything more way in terms of picks and that we did not bring any duds to the club.
Last year many of us (including me) were horrified we gave up pick 19 for Jordy. With that in mind would have preferred to have given pick 58 fot Thommo but its not all that bad I don't think. Kid could be a Michael Wilson type of player to draw parrallel lines to someone Thomson has played with.

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 07:49:38 PM »
Coming into this off-season it was clear we had plenty of running mids and half back flankers.  Our tall defender stocks are looking okay as are our small/medium forwards.  I felt that we needed - either through draft/trade - to find a young tall forward, a young ruckman, and a young genuine inside ball-winner.

So far we've ticked one box. 

Judging by the noise coming from most port adelaide supporters, we have a pretty decent player on our hands.  As long as we use him as what he is - an inside grunter.  I reckon we went okay there - smacked very much like the Mitch Morton deal last year.

But we all know that the main priority is a ruckman - young & ready to play.  Any draftees we get will need a minimum of 2-3 years.  There were 3 on the table but all were too expensive.  That's our fault - we've had dozens of opportunity to draft a good young ruck and utilise our rookie list but didn't.  Until we find out what's available at pick 8 in the PSD we can't call it a failure just yet but it's not looking promising.

Just on ruckmen.  I know a lot of people are down on Patto but I won't beat the guy up too badly.  Sure his ruckwork is far from dominant but he will break even a lot more as he matures.  I want to know how dominant Simmo was before his 24th birthday. 

Patto's work around the ground though is very, very good for a ruckman.  I know it looks like his productivity was down this year and that his form was down but in reality he spent much, much less time on the ground and so his stats suffered.   I reckon he's going okay. He's still improving and still developing and I reckon his best days are ahead of him.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 08:19:39 PM »
Finally, a dedicated list manager that acquired something that RFC had a genuine need for.  Whether that individual is the player we need, only time will tell.  I'm satisfied that, to some degree, list deficiencies are finally being analyzed and filled where possible.

A little disappointed that existing RFC players were not traded out to obtain additional picks, however it does demonstrate the gulf between the "non-tradeables" to the genuine market level of the bulk of the list which just does not have currency.

Hopefully the draft will now be utilised to the fullest extent to fill the list gaps and provide balance to the list for a crack at finals in 09 and setting the club up for top 4 finishes in the early 2010's (are we calling them the teenies ? :lol).

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »
Happy we hung onto those first 2 picks

Disppointed that we lost our 3rd rounder but I sincerely wish young Adam all the best at Tigerland...

Would have been nice to get a ruckman but not disappointed that we didn't get Seaby.. pressure is on Gus Graham now I would think

Glad we hung onto Polo & Meyer..... and didn't make any silly trade eg giving up first round choice  ;D

4/10
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)