Author Topic: Meyer, Casserly and Hyde delisted  (Read 12070 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Meyer, Casserly and Hyde delisted
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2008, 03:13:41 PM »
I just hope another club doesn't pick him up and he does a Rodan on us!

Stripes

O V E R R A T E D

Tell me stripes..apart from one reasonable game, what has Meyer offered Richmond in 4 years exactly?

I agree he has done nothing since he has been drafted but to repeat Chuck17 he was getting himself in some excellent form in the later part of the season. Unlike someone like Petts, Tiv or Hyde he has not had an injury-free run. If he was stuggling to get in the side because of form rather than injury I would be more confident in our decision to delist him but he still remains a potentially brilliant player. We took him at 12 for a reason.

I think we should have given him another year where he has an injury-free opportunity to show us if he can make it. At the moment he remains a young unknown quanity and I would be surprized if another club doesn't pick him up in the PSD.

I just believe you know what you are getting with a player like Petts where Meyer is still a potential star who has had a terrible run with injuries. Another year to see if he can stay injury-free and force his way into the team would have made me more comfortable either way.

As I mentioned earlier though I just hope the club knows something we don't about his fitness

Stripes

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2008, 03:20:13 PM »
I think we should have given him another year where he has an injury-free opportunity to show us if he can make it.

I would argue that was this season just passed.
Meyer had to make an impact this year and he did not manage a senior game.
He had been passed by others and was not looking like forcing his way into the side.
Excess to list requirements & too far back.

Easy delist IMO.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2008, 03:48:29 PM »
I think we should have given him another year where he has an injury-free opportunity to show us if he can make it.

I would argue that was this season just passed.
Meyer had to make an impact this year and he did not manage a senior game.
He had been passed by others and was not looking like forcing his way into the side.
Excess to list requirements & too far back.

Easy delist IMO.

valid points. easy delist.

just dont like seeing anyone go before petts

does anyone have any inside info as to what was wrong with this kid. Immature, missed home???
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »
But he still hasn't shown us what he has got and at only 21 he may still have a great deal to give. If he hadn't been showing such promise for Coburg at the end of the year I would have agreed with you but he was on the cusp of breaking into the seniors and this was even after an injury interupted year. With a proper pre-season under his belt and a clear run he may have finally fufilled the clubs faith in him but now we will never know (well at least at our club).

Petts on the other hand was dropped because he others had clearly passed him who were younger and had the potential to improve even more. Petts will be unavailable all year rgardless where Meyer was both younger and could have been in the mix to play. Meyer has the potential where Petts has nothing more to give than what he has shown us already.

The choice should have been clear IMHO - one player can't play for the year while the other can. One player still has the potential to become a quality player while the other is an average mid-sized forward. One is 21 the other 27.

I just find the choice perplexing

Stripes

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »

do we know without a shadow of a doubt that wallace had nothing to do with keeping Pettcoat and dumping others.

do we???

So you're happy to blame him without a shred of evidence then?

who recruited him fool????
Who recruited Pettifer? Well that was Greg Beck and Danny Fraudley
Miller, Wallace, Cameron were not at the club when Petts was drafted, in fact they werent at the club for 4 years after he was selected

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2008, 07:23:10 PM »

do we know without a shadow of a doubt that wallace had nothing to do with keeping Pettcoat and dumping others.

do we???

So you're happy to blame him without a shred of evidence then?

who recruited him fool????
Who recruited Pettifer? Well that was Greg Beck and Danny Fraudley
Miller, Wallace, Cameron were not at the club when Petts was drafted, in fact they werent at the club for 4 years after he was selected
How Beck kept his recruiting job for 8 years is one of the mysteries of the universe  :P. Mind you the club hardly cared about investing in recruitment resources  :banghead.

Petts has always had natural ability but as was mentioned in the Cotch thread even those with natural talent still need to do the hard work to succeed. Petts was given senior games by Spud in his first 4 years despite delivering little. A bad habit that he never had to earn his spot in the side and work on his workrate deficiencies at a young age at VFL level. He's never had to learn defensive pressure as a forward. He looked like he was turning his career around in Wallace's first couple of years but then the game changed in the last 18 months, exposed Petts' major deficiency (no defence) and he's been left behind with Morton taking his place.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2008, 07:46:55 PM »
Playing devils avoacado, Greg Beck often had all his early picks traded away and left him not much to work with
You also never know what his instructions were, instead of going for best available he could have been told by the coach "We need a small forward" (Pettifer) or "We need some pace in the midfield" (Fiora). Having Richo & Ottens on the list meant that our coach was comfortable with those positions being sorted so looked for guns elsewhere rather than making long term structural decisions.
He had some decent pick ups with late selections who played quite a few games with us, but also that is a bit of a false economy as they often were the only players we had so were given games by default

At the end of the day, without being a fly on the wall for the 8 years he was with us we'll never know how much was his ineptitude and how much was the coach at the time. Given the coaches we had in those 8 years, even working together, they wouldn't be able to organise a root in a brothel with a fistful of 50s.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2008, 08:39:20 PM »
True infamy. Fiora was definitely picked up because we "needed" more skillful running midfielders. The problem was Fiora wasn't/isn't a midfielder but a flanker  :scream.

I'm definitely not letting Geisch and Spud off the hook for their incompetence as far as managing our playing list ;). The other factor in those days was the CEO and our shocking TPP structure. Paying 100% of the salary cap despite continued failure to make the finals and far too much of the TPP dollars concentrated in just a handful of players despite once again them failing to deliver.

Carlton laying out and concentrating its dough in just a select few could be heading for a similar scenario  :pray lol.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2008, 10:07:23 PM »
i still can not believe Kayne Pettifer is still on our list !!!

i can see why Meyer was delisted ... though i would of kept Meyer.

Hyde was always going to be delisted ... it is funny, because didn't Hyde retire ??? which brings me too Tivendale ... did Tivendale announce his retirement ??? because i heard he was entering the Pre Season Draft ??? is that true ???

Casserly - drafted at pick 40 in the 2005 draft and never played for Richmond in three seasons ... i can see why we delisted him ... though he was injured a fair bit wasn't he ???

i think what has saved Kayne is his injury and also the funny fact that he is in our leadership group this year ... would be funny if we did delist him, which we should of and Kayne should realise he is lucky to not been delisted ...

i hope we make more delistings ... Pettifer, JON and the three old rookies ...

and when is Kane, Joel, Troy, Brown going to retire ??? Richardson can play untill he is fourty years old !!!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2008, 09:05:11 AM »
Simmo can't retire til we have a decent mobile ruckman ready to go.  In 2007 we struggled big time in the middle and around the ground without him in there.

The effect he has on our team when he is fit and ready is enormous and while I believe we have all the rest of the retirees covered (maybe even Richo included), at the moment we dont have a replacement for Simmo that is anywhere near ready.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2008, 01:52:29 PM »
No guarantees it means he's safe but Petts is on the cover of the 2009 RFC calendar according to the RFC site.

http://www.clubsonline.com.au/shop/index.cfm?fuseaction=Display_Product&ProductID=7684&orgid=1751&cfid=22176973&cftoken=81736313&dts=20102008431245

richmondrules

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2008, 03:30:06 PM »
lol.

Sorry Terry, you can't delist him, the calendars already printed.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2008, 05:17:22 PM »
No guarantees it means he's safe but Petts is on the cover of the 2009 RFC calendar according to the RFC site.

http://www.clubsonline.com.au/shop/index.cfm?fuseaction=Display_Product&ProductID=7684&orgid=1751&cfid=22176973&cftoken=81736313&dts=20102008431245

next that stuffhead TW will make him captain.

the RFC have shown yet again why they have no stuffin idea.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2008, 09:20:22 PM »

lolroflcakes @ Bling Captain pee pee and pettigirl just about having this whole site covered
in that no one here will be buying that calander  :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2008, 07:17:18 PM »
IIRC either Rodan or it might have been Chubba were on the calendar the year after they were cut. These calendars are printed before any delistings have been made so "mistakes" are bound to be made from time to time. Mind you I think we can think of 12 Tigers more popular than Petts lol.