Author Topic: Brett Deledio leads Richmond captains race (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3814 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brett Deledio leads Richmond captains race (Herald-Sun)
« on: November 13, 2008, 04:46:28 AM »
Brett Deledio leads Richmond captains race
Jon Ralph | November 13, 2008

RICHMOND'S search for its next captain will centre on whether 21-year-old Jack Dyer medallist Brett Deledio is ready to step up to the task.

Kane Johnson's decision to give up the position and No. 17 jumper has set up a captaincy race that is wide open.

Johnson, 30, spent his off-season break confirming that his gut feeling to concentrate on football only next year was the right one.

The players will vote for their next captain before a decision is made by the football sub-committee within a fortnight.

The contenders seem likely to come from Deledio and this year's vice-captains Chris Newman and Nathan Foley.

Matthew Richardson would be a popular choice, but the Tigers are determined to promote what Johnson yesterday called "generational change".

Similarly, ruckman Troy Simmonds is 30, and likely future captain Trent Cotchin just 18.

The club has done a huge amount of work cultivating what it calls its 15 "potential leaders", enlisting them in a battery of leadership courses over the past 12 months.

Richmond believes it has enough young leaders to compensate for the lack of experienced 26 to 30-year-olds at the club.

Johnson said he knew it was time to hand over the captaincy.

"I have really enjoyed it. It's been four years now and I have learnt a lot about myself and my teammates and what it is to be a leader of a football club," he said.

"But I think there comes a time when you have to stand aside and let the club go forward in a new, fresh direction. I think it's perfect timing.

"I just feel it inside that it's the right time for me to move on and concentrate on my footy and for the new generation of Tiger to come on."

Tigers coach Terry Wallace yesterday said Johnson had done an exceptional job.

"As I said to the blokes yesterday when he told the group, it is a hell of a lot easier to lead successful teams than unsuccessful teams," Wallace said.

"For him to go through the transition period the club has gone through over the past four years, he has been really strong in the manner in which he has led the side."

He said the romantic notion of Richardson as the new captain was just that.

Johnson said 2007 was his toughest as captain, labelling it harder even than his self-imposed suspension this year for public urination.

He will return to the No. 28 jumper he wore as an Adelaide premiership player, with Richmond's captain automatically assuming Jack Dyer's No. 17.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24644104-19742,00.html

bushranger

Re: Brett Deledio leads Richmond captains race (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:12:43 AM »
I would say that for the first time the Number17 will be worn in the right manner.
I will never say that Kane did a good job wearing it to me he made it look nore like a joke.
With a new young blood that has been therer for a while will wear it with the pride it should stand for.
Whom ever that young one should be. I will back them all the way, which will be a big difference to Kane.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:37:59 AM »
I would say that for the first time the Number17 will be worn in the right manner.
I will never say that Kane did a good job wearing it to me he made it look nore like a joke.
With a new young blood that has been therer for a while will wear it with the pride it should stand for.
Whom ever that young one should be. I will back them all the way, which will be a big difference to Kane.

On that we are poles apart.  I think the manner in which the club and the playing group conducted itself and did not waiver from the commitment and belief in the long term goal over the whole terrible 2007 season speaks volumes for the people in positions of power and influence.  To me, Johnson stood up when it counted, when things were at their toughest, and those who judge his performance as Captain purely on his on-field results do him a disservice.  Well done Kane and thank you.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:52:28 AM »
A bit harsh Bushranger I think although everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I personally was never a fan of his playing ability but did appreciate the work he did on developing our young side.

He had the gig in a difficult time and I believe tried the best to his ability.  I am not too sure if there was another viable alternative that could have mentored the young side we were developing.  A lot of our senior playing group back then I think while having the football ability weren't natural leaders or were seen to have introverted characters.

Ox

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:05:01 AM »
If Foley has another year like 08 he can stuff off too.

bushranger

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:02:27 PM »
This is only my opinion of him. I honestly thought he could have done more this is the reason why, and I never saw a great deal of him as an on feild leader in my opinion. But I could have been bias against him as I have had a disliking of him. Cause I though he should never had been given the job in the first place so this started the dislike of him.
So just like you said we all have our opinions and these some might agree while the other won't agree.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:54:06 PM »

On that we are poles apart.  I think the manner in which the club and the playing group conducted itself and did not waiver from the commitment and belief in the long term goal over the whole terrible 2007 season speaks volumes for the people in positions of power and influence.  To me, Johnson stood up when it counted, when things were at their toughest, and those who judge his performance as Captain purely on his on-field results do him a disservice.  Well done Kane and thank you.

surprise surprise you sticking up for Sugar.

On field is what matters most and he has produced the worst captain in our clubs history.

Never once won a match off his own boot. I would be lying if i didn't have a scotch neat last night when i heard he was stepping down.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »
If Foley has another year like 08 he can eff off too.

Didn't quite handle the heavy tags did he? But now with Cotchin up and running you would think he will attract the main tag. Then if Cogs comes back the opposition will have to consider tagging Cotchin Deledio Foley Tuck and Cogs - but they can't tag them all and expect to win the game. It gets even better for us when Tambling and Connors step up  ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 01:31:09 PM »

On field is what matters most and he has produced the worst captain in our clubs history.

Never once won a match off his own boot. I would be lying if i didn't have a scotch neat last night when i heard he was stepping down.

Surprise surprise you not.

So you know the performance, merits etc of each and every captain in our club's history to make this informed comment then?

"Never once won a match off his own boot".  Ah well then, the ultimate (and it appears only) criteria for being a successful captain.

This forum has been a pleasurable and informative read recently - let's hope it stays that way.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 01:34:51 PM »

Daniel

How did the exams go?

'65

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 01:40:30 PM »
This is only my opinion of him. I honestly thought he could have done more this is the reason why, and I never saw a great deal of him as an on feild leader in my opinion. But I could have been bias against him as I have had a disliking of him. Cause I though he should never had been given the job in the first place so this started the dislike of him.
So just like you said we all have our opinions and these some might agree while the other won't agree.

Yep, only opinions and I agree that he could have been more prominent (in a results/output sense) on-field for much of the time.  I heard (and read) of his value off-field, was comfortable with what I heard and am now prepared to judge him on that.  But, like you said, opinions and I'm happy to acknowledge another one.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 02:55:27 PM »
Didn't quite handle the heavy tags did he? But now with Cotchin up and running you would think he will attract the main tag. Then if Cogs comes back the opposition will have to consider tagging Cotchin Deledio Foley Tuck and Cogs - but they can't tag them all and expect to win the game. It gets even better for us when Tambling and Connors step up  ;D

You got that right Gracie. 

Foley has fallen foul of being the first of our explosive young midfielders to make it in recent times and therefore the subject of the oppositions tagger.

You would think Deledio when in the midfield next year if he continues 08 form will attract the tagger, and Cotch if he starts to perform to potential would probably rival Lids for the player to be tagged by opposition teams.

Exciting times ahead with our midfield coming together in depth and quality.

bushranger

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 02:58:04 PM »
Thats the bueaty of it all we can have different opinions and still come out smelling of roses. And with different opinions.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »
This is why Kerr always seemed like such a star because he had Cousins and Judd taking all the oppositions attention and taggers which left him free to win his own ball. Same senerio with Selwood for the Cats with Bartel and Abblett tagged and even Murphy for Carlton a couple of years a go before Steven went down and all of a sudden he was payed more attention and his game suffered as a result.

All good teams have depth across the ground with a few standouts. The bigger the difference between the stars and the average players the less chance for success.

All the midfield will play better if each player helps share the load in future years.

Stripes

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 05:31:17 PM »

Daniel

How did the exams go?

'65

sweet my man thanks for asking.

with a little bit of help from your misses, i stormed through the exams with flying colors.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24635890-2,00.html?from=public_rss

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.