Author Topic: Should the captain wear #17?  (Read 1546 times)

Ramps

Should the captain wear #17?
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:19:31 AM »
Just on the 17 jumper. Its a nice tradition, but for example Deledio has worn 3 since he got to Punt Rd, hasnt quite reached 100 games in the no3 , if he gets the captaincy which I would support he wouldnt get to get his name on the locker, I think we should do away with the captain having to wear 17. We should start some coterie group instead called 17 rather than having players change numbers.

bushranger

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 09:22:29 AM »
I would think that they could still put him down as number 3 with the number 17 in this(17) on the nunber 3 locker.
All they have to do is put the years down while captain on the locker giving him the full tally.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:31:50 AM »
Just on the 17 jumper. Its a nice tradition, but for example Deledio has worn 3 since he got to Punt Rd, hasnt quite reached 100 games in the no3 , if he gets the captaincy which I would support he wouldnt get to get his name on the locker, I think we should do away with the captain having to wear 17. We should start some coterie group instead called 17 rather than having players change numbers.

Not a topical point but I disagree Ramps.  I think one thing that stands our club apart from many others is our heritage links and I thought it was a terrific idea when we introduced the "captain's number".  Tradition and cultural ownership are 2 things that set us apart and this is one thing that many other clubs can't do - it promotes the importance of the baton our current players hold.  I'm sure Deledio will get his name on locker #3, even if he plays many years in #17.  Who knows, he might get his name on both!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Should the captain wear #17?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:35:11 PM »
I'm not against the idea but I would prefer a player to make his own number his own. We have also had many great Tigers in different guernsey nos over the past 100 years so current players are following on from them - Lids in #3 is following on from past captains Flea and Dean, Cotch in #9 from Cambo and Northey and Foley in #41 from Scotty Turner.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:17:49 PM »
No! i understand the tradition, though i would rather our captain make his name with his own number!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 03:38:59 PM »
I am happy for the 17 tradition to remain.  By the time a player is given the captaincy he would have already made his jumper his own anyway.  The giving of the 17 guernsy would just be an additional honour on top of what the player has already earnt off his own back.

In saying that though I am not sure if just supposing Richo was made captain whether he should have changed his number though.  The number 12 to the younger footy fan probably means much more to them than the 17.

And yes I am therefore fence sitting on the issue.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 06:11:36 PM »
I like the Captain wearing No. 17.

It is a new tradition but one that I've no doubt will grow in stature over time. My view is it ensures that in 50 or even 100 years time, what the number 17 means to this club will still handed down..
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 07:35:30 PM »
Isnt it good to see me once again setting the big agenda items of the Richmond Football Club here on OER  :lol

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 08:48:16 PM »
Happy to see the #17 honoured with continued captaincy.

Collingwood (spit) used to give the #1 to the skipper but gave that away.  Interestingly, Port Adelaide (barf) still put the skipper in the #1.

bushranger

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 02:20:02 PM »
If I was any good and could play footy as good as our boys can and I was offered up the captains role.
I would be more then honoured to wear the number 17.
But I'm not so it is easy for me to say, yer give up your number and wear this number 17.
So I can see both side of it as I'm not involved in it. I would like to see this number being worn only by the captain.
And if the captain doesn't want to wear it then retire it, till the next captain who does want to wear it.

Ox

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »
No 17 = living in the past = Bull poo.

All i know about JD is stories passed on from gen to gen,like the bible
and we all know how true that is.

Is it as though some magic power is going to possess the wearer of the number 17 and in turn make him a champion
 - LMAO OoOoO              OOO         oooooooooo

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 02:56:01 PM »
Is it as though some magic power is going to possess the wearer of the number 17 and in turn make him a champion

It worked for Kane Johnson didn't it

Ox

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »

It worked for Kane Johnson didn't it

Exactly.

I'm sure Jack pi ssed on the afew walls in his time,being a cop and all.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:41:24 PM by []())([] »

bushranger

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 05:36:40 PM »
But in some cases the past should be kept.
And we all don't have to like it. Just like when Johnson was made captain I didn't agree with that.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 07:07:34 PM »

No 17 = living in the past = Bull poo.

Your opinion.  Mine is -  that's where all our life learning comes from and only a fool ignores it.

All i know about JD is stories passed on from gen to gen,like the bible
and we all know how true that is.

I agree.  Doesn't invalidate any of it.

Don't recall anyone saying that.  If this is what you thought the point was then you missed it by a mile (sorry, that would be 1.6 kilometres for those not living in the past).