Author Topic: Picks 8 & 26  (Read 894 times)

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Picks 8 & 26
« on: November 14, 2008, 03:00:03 PM »
Just been looking at Youtube and I believe i have found who we should be looking at with these picks.  They are Lewis Johnston and Ryan Shoenmakers from SA.  Both boys are 6"4" and are elite kicks of the football and can take a great pack mark.  They could make a very formidable forward combination in years to come.  Shoenmakers reminds me of Ryan O'Keefe and Johnston reminds me of a Nick Reiwoldt. 
Johnston is also very bottom age and if he was a year older I think he may be talked about in the Jack Watts mould. 
Beautiful movers also !!
Question is do we need to recruit 2 forwards.  I think alot depends on whether Ziebell, Vickery or particularly Hartlett are available at 8. If either one are available I think the club will take one.  If not then it will be Trengrove, McKernan or Johnston. 
But it's Johnston for me now.  Looks the goods and just what we need.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Picks 8 & 26
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »
We need a KPP forward IMO but don't think two in this draft will be done with our first two picks.

First will be best midfielder available unless Vickery slips down to our pick.  With the second I think it will be a ruck or KPP forward or both in one would be good which is why I think Roughead is a chance.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 11:27:27 PM »
sounds good to me....hartlett + roughead would be sweet

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 10:29:12 PM »
Inside football's summary of Johnston and Schoenmakers:

LEWIS JOHNSTON - tall forward, North Adelaide, SA.
DOB: 3/3/91 Ht: 192cm Wt: 87kg   .
"Lewis played mainly under-17s for us as well as a few reserves games in the middle of the year after the under-18 championships. Had to travel long distances to train so he got very tired as the year wore on. A very athletic player who plays mainly at centre halfforward. Ran 3.04 for a 20-metre sprint to underline his mobility and he's also got a good set of hands." - North Adelaide development manager Neil Sanders.
SA rep 2008. All Australian 2008. AIS-­AFL Academy graduate. From Port Bulldogs FC

RYAN SCHOENMAKERS - medium forward, Norwood, SA.
DOB: 8/11/90 Ht: 193cm Wt: 85kg
"Ryan's a tall forward at 193cm who kicks beautifully off both feet - you can't tell whether he's a left or right footer. Got a good motor as well which enables him to leap and present up as well. Played all year for us in the reserves apart from the national carnival and was discussed later in the year in the senior mix but didn't get a game. He won the repeated sprint test at the draft, which underlines his mobility, and did a 2.9 secs for the 20-metre sprint." - Norwood development manager David Oatey
SA rep 2008. From Tea Tree Gully FC.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:14:27 AM »
I think there are stronger/safer options with our first pick especially if the likes of Rich and Vickery slip outside the top 5 as now rumoured but if either one of Johnston or Schoenmakers is around at pick 26 I wouldn't say no. For some reason I prefer Schoenmakers out of the two if it came down to a choice. No real reason except he caught my eye more watching them live at the U18 champs and his foot skills and kicking technique looked stronger.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd