Author Topic: Bookie offers carrot to AFL and clubs / Sportsbet has spoken to Richmond  (Read 1141 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bookie offers carrot to AFL
Rod Nicholson | November 16, 2008 12:00am

CORPORATE bookmaker Sportsbet has approached the AFL and several clubs with offers of sponsorship.

The Northern Territory organisation, taking advantage of the new laws that allow advertising and sponsorship in Victoria, wants to plough money into struggling clubs.

Despite the AFL having another year of a contract with Tabcorp and Betfair, Sportsbet's chief executive, Matt Tripp, said he would donate 5 per cent of the company's gross profit on football betting next season to AFL coffers.

"We are under no obligation to pay anything, but we believe this is only fair and reasonable because we use their product to bet," he said.

Tripp, who has negotiated sponsorship of the Australian Masters golf tournament, said he was particularly keen to assist struggling Victorian clubs.

"I have spoken with the Western Bulldogs, Richmond and Melbourne, and also Collingwood," he said.

"I am a Melbourne boy and I love football. I want to help the struggling Victorian clubs, in particular, and, Collingwood aside, that's what I've set out to do.

"They are all saying they need sponsorship, which is especially hard to get in the current climate. And I'll approach other Victorian clubs as well. I've put forward a 10-point plan and they can take up any or all of the suggestions as they see fit."

The AFL is considering the proposal to determine what direction to take with corporate bookmakers.

Communications manager Patrick Keane said the AFL's commercial department had spoken to all clubs recently "to work out what they would be allowed to do".

"They are still working on that and the AFL will set the parameters. There are several factors to consider and we will make a decision," Keane said.

Tripp said his company was a sports betting agent and, while racing was the widely recognised outlet, the amount of money bet on all sports was growing rapidly.

"I have approached the AFL and next week I will be meeting with the NRL," he said.

"These bodies (AFL and NRL) have integrity concerns about players and officials betting on their games. We would give complete access to our database of clients to assist them."

Tripp said his company was also looking to approach the Australian Open tennis, Cricket Australia and race clubs.

"The opportunities for corporate bookmakers, and for sports, is unlimited and would be mutually beneficial," he said. "So many sports are crying out for sponsorship and corporate bookmakers are clamouring to be part of the action."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24657577-19742,00.html

bushranger

Re: Bookie offers carrot to AFL and clubs / Sportsbet has spoken to Richmond
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:46:49 AM »
I hope that we are one of the teams to take the carrot as it has been called.
They must have the money to offer so we would be silly to knock it back.
Especially after the last one fell through.
I say go for it.  :gotigers

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:59:03 AM »
I think that's the point of the article. We can't go for it. Not yet, anyway.

This might be a very hard decision for the AFL.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

bushranger

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:45:56 AM »
Well the AFL is sponsored by Toyota and the Cats have Ford. So I seen not too mant problems with that, if they can do it then why not let other do the same.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »
Betfair has taken the first step and sponsor's Sandown, now known as Betfair park.
So it is on with these companies and not all will see it through.
First in best dressed, Sportsbet oval, hmmm fine by me just make sure they fork out the dollars

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:21:57 AM »
Well the AFL is sponsored by Toyota and the Cats have Ford. So I seen not too mant problems with that, if they can do it then why not let other do the same.
That part of the decision might be a minor consideration.
I don't think the car industry interests organised crime or involves social issues like gambling does.

You never get anything for nothing. I think it would be great if Sportsbet could throw money at AFL clubs but, without knowing what they should be, the parameters set by the AFL would need to be stringent.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

bushranger

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »
Betfair has taken the first step and sponsor's Sandown, now known as Betfair park.
So it is on with these companies and not all will see it through.
First in best dressed, Sportsbet oval, hmmm fine by me just make sure they fork out the dollars
Couldn't agree more. :gotigers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 04:38:38 AM »
Geelong had a pre-existing sponsorship with Ford before Toyota hopped on board with the AFL. Then you have the flimsy international vs domestic argument with airlines so Emirates can sponsor the Pies while Qantas is the offical (domestic) carrier of the AFL.

The club already owns and runs pokies so the gambling issue shouldn't be a barrier to these other betting agencies sponsoring clubs. It's the fact that Tabcorp and Betfair have a current contract with the AFL with a year to run that blocks out their competitors.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd