Author Topic: Finals or we've failed: Newman  (Read 2503 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Finals or we've failed: Newman
« on: November 19, 2008, 02:55:10 PM »
Finals or we've failed: Newman
foxsports.com.au
November 19, 2008

NEW Richmond skipper Chris Newman has marked his rise to the top job at Tigerland by declaring it's finals or bust for his side in 2009.

He spoke directly at Wednesday's press conference to announce his promotion to the leadership at Punt Road and warned his teammates anything less than finals would be a failure next season.

"You don't want to be making any bold statements this early in the year but I think not playing finals next year would be a step down," Newman said.

"We just want to continue on with those building blocks we set last season."

Wallace said he was sure the right man got the nod, but setting his sights on the top eight may have made the coach a little edgy; he enters the fifth and final year of his contract next year fighting for his job.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24675037-23209,00.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 10:29:59 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Finals or we're failed: Newman
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:19:23 PM »
We have never had such a definite, unquestionable, concrete goal as we have in 2009 for the club and coach. There is no room for interpretation - if we are to succeed and keep building we need to play finals. Regardless of media spin, peoples opinions or even TW spin - if we don't make the 8 our coach is gone, plain and simple.

Big year ahead

Stripes

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »
Yep HUGE year

If we didn't make finals a few of the older players retirements will occur next year as well, definitely Sugar's, and a good chance of Bowden and Browny's too I would say.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
I hear what your saying Stripes and I agree a statement has been made and there is no question the message

However, I dont like it when we make these types of statements
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »
I hear what your saying Stripes and I agree a statement has been made and there is no question the message

However, I dont like it when we make these types of statements

I agree because what we are effectively doing is painting ourselves in a corner. What happens if we have a horror run with injuries, a series of close loses or another freak accident to a key player? With a statement like the administration has made, TW has backed and now the players are openly spouting to the media, we are giving the ravenous football world plenty of ammunition if we even look like we may not reach our goal.

Like it or lump it, this is the position we have placed ourselves in. Make's me nervous....

Stripes

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
I agree because what we are effectively doing is painting ourselves in a corner. What happens if we have a horror run with injuries, a series of close loses or another freak accident to a key player? With a statement like the administration has made, TW has backed and now the players are openly spouting to the media, we are giving the ravenous football world plenty of ammunition if we even look like we may not reach our goal.

Like it or lump it, this is the position we have placed ourselves in. Make's me nervous....

Stripes

Exactly Stripes :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 09:54:35 PM »
Yeah I dont like the big statements either.

However TW has nothing to lose even if he got the most rotten luck and injuries and whatever if we don't make the finals he is gone.  He is in a position where he has to state it's finals or nothing.

This then leaves the players in a bit of a position do they openly support the coach or try to skirt or avoid the issue of perhaps be more cautious in public.

Regardless it is not a good situation to be in.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 10:58:58 PM »
Like it or lump it, this is the position we have placed ourselves in.

No this is the position Wallace has placed himself in.
5 years is long enough to make the 8 at least once even if armageddon strikes the RFC this season.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Finals or we've failed: Newman
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 12:06:37 AM »
I don't really think it's that big a statement, in fact it's pretty obvious

Ox

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 02:12:51 AM »
Yep HUGE

and a good chance of Bowden

[/quote

Geez,that'll be hard to cover.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 07:45:23 AM »

I agree.  I didn't see the statement as being an issue at all - I read it as an honest assessment of what would be classed as a failure next season.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 09:51:22 AM »
See below

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 12:58:12 PM »

What he said.
It also needs to be taken in context...was he replying to a direct question for example?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
I don't think anyone is arguing whether 'playing finals or failure' is a big statement or not but rather it is a definitive statement that, rather than be a positive goal to aspire to as those within the inner circles of the club see it as, it may well just give the blood-thirsty media and opposition supporters even more ammunition to use on the club if everything goes pear shaped.

It's another argument entirely whether TW brought this onto himself or not and what success ultimately means for the club. Some supporters have been baying for blood for decades bacause we haven't made the finals regardless of the state of our list so why would this year be any different when we actually have a legitimate chance to do so without jeoperdizing our future growth.

So, as I said in an earlier post, it's going to be a big year because everyone has run out of excuses.

Stripes

bushranger

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 04:57:55 PM »
I think that he has set a plan of action. And this will be a direction that we all want to hear. So In that I'm happy.
But as it has beeen said its nothing new either.
And with what we had in place last year to build on it to gain that one more place should be gainable.
He will lead us into a new and strong chapter in our history.
Go for it #17. We will back you. Well I know I will that is.