Author Topic: Finals or we've failed: Newman  (Read 2498 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Finals or we're failed: Newman
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 11:32:18 PM »
I hear what your saying Stripes and I agree a statement has been made and there is no question the message

However, I dont like it when we make these types of statements

I agree because what we are effectively doing is painting ourselves in a corner. What happens if we have a horror run with injuries, a series of close loses or another freak accident to a key player? With a statement like the administration has made, TW has backed and now the players are openly spouting to the media, we are giving the ravenous football world plenty of ammunition if we even look like we may not reach our goal.

Like it or lump it, this is the position we have placed ourselves in. Make's me nervous....
Well said :clapping

The problem is our Prez opened his mouth again when he shouldn't have and now everyone else below him has to fall in line publicly. The club has never learnt to keep its gob shut until it has something real to spruik ::). Finals or not, Wallace should be judged on the structure and improvement of our list around August/September 2009 and whether he is the right coach who is capable take the team to the next stage of being genuine premiership contenders within the next 5 years. We are still rebuilding and developing a young side.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 08:56:34 AM »
Finals or not, Wallace should be judged on the structure and improvement of our list around August/September 2009 and whether he is the right coach who is capable take the team to the next stage of being genuine premiership contenders within the next 5 years. We are still rebuilding and developing a young side.

Yeah I agree there, I just don't know whether he will get that long when the sharks smell a bit of blood if we drop a few at the start of the year

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 11:42:08 AM »
The problem is our Prez opened his mouth again when he shouldn't have and now everyone else below him has to fall in line publicly. The club has never learnt to keep its gob shut until it has something real to spruik ::). Finals or not, Wallace should be judged on the structure and improvement of our list around August/September 2009 and whether he is the right coach who is capable take the team to the next stage of being genuine premiership contenders within the next 5 years. We are still rebuilding and developing a young side.

Respectfully disagree MT. I totally support March on this.

How long is a piece of string?
Terry's had 5 years to rebuild the list and our structure, that's more time than most appointed coaches would get as a guarantee in their wildest dreams without making the 8. Wallace himself forecast success in 2009.

No more excuses, spin or rhetoric, it's time to bring home the bacon of a finals birth.

If he can't then someone else can have a crack at making our club successful again and Terry can go back to his media job.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Finals or we've failed: Newman
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 02:13:28 PM »
I think the powers have done a good job over the last five years, alas the proof is in the pudding and that for me is finals in 09.
And that is the bottom line because said so.

OK

bushranger

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »
Think I'm scared of him ha. Not ever, no way, he's a pussy
But don't tell him I said so.
In reality I would run from him.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 07:34:45 PM »

Respectfully disagree MT. I totally support March on this.

How long is a piece of string?
Terry's had 5 years to rebuild the list and our structure, that's more time than most appointed coaches would get as a guarantee in their wildest dreams without making the 8. Wallace himself forecast success in 2009.

No more excuses, spin or rhetoric, it's time to bring home the bacon of a finals birth.

If he can't then someone else can have a crack at making our club successful again and Terry can go back to his media job.
No probs Magic. My comments also apply if we were to make the finals; not just if we miss out again. What happens if we win 12 games next year and sneak into the finals in 8th spot yet we get flogged by 10+ goals against the sides above us and our top 10 in the B&F is Richo, Johnson, Bowden, Simmo, Browny, Tuck, Newy, Moore, McMahon and Foley (no U23s) while we see no further significant improvement in our cubs. Does Wallace stay? He's satisfield March's black and white criteria of a finals appearance to keep his job.

Such a simplisitic criteria doesn't sit well with me and in terms of the media puts on the team unnecessary pressure. Every week next year it'll be win and the headlines will be 'Wallace stays alive'; lose and 'Wallace gone?'. You don't see other well run clubs making such B&W promises 6 months out from the start of a season.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 11:21:20 AM »
Such a simplisitic criteria doesn't sit well with me and in terms of the media puts on the team unnecessary pressure. Every week next year it'll be win and the headlines will be 'Wallace stays alive'; lose and 'Wallace gone?'. You don't see other well run clubs making such B&W promises 6 months out from the start of a season.

It's got the potential for one hell of a media circus that's for sure, one thing you can count on next year; it won't be dull

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 05:00:14 PM »
It's got the potential for one hell of a media circus that's for sure, one thing you can count on next year; it won't be dull
Maybe we should be telling that to every potential sponsor so they jump on board. Whatever happens next year the Tigers will be news every week and your name and logo will be on full show for those 6 months.

bushranger

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 06:37:33 PM »
Mightytiges just maybe you should get incharge of getting the new sponsor with those words of wisdom.
Cause that what you have said make a hell of a lot of sense. I would buy into it if it was said to me like that.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 09:55:57 PM »
Mightytiges just maybe you should get incharge of getting the new sponsor with those words of wisdom.
Cause that what you have said make a hell of a lot of sense. I would buy into it if it was said to me like that.

I second that

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »
for some time I've had the view that Richmond should have a year up their sleeve with the Wallace contract. Negotiate a lesser payout - say 6 months -  if it goes pear shaped. So sign up Wallace for an extra    12 months now and if he is not meeting our criteria, then still finish him up. It would need to be by mutual consent - a resignation rather than a sacking. I know this sounds a bit screwed up but the media are so influential and taking the scrutiny of the tigers and the coach is worth a potential $300k payout. I think sponsors would prefer their logo on apparel of clubs with good news not heavy scrutiny. A rolling one year extension is worth the payout, it allows the club to dictate the coaching agenda, not the press. Ask collingwood who have been doing it with malthouse for the past 4 years.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 10:57:32 PM »
As Wallace has an existing contract for another year you would have to get Plough to agree to a 12 month extension now which we can state piblicly but with a confidential clause that he only gets it if we make the finals in 2009. No point really doing it though as Wallace knows already he won't get another contract if we don't make the finals and if we do make it he'd be expecting at least 2-3 years in a new deal.

March has put the club in this pressure cooker situation by promising finals and making statements that we'll know by round 14 next year (why round 14  ??? ). Only a flying start to 2009 will now get the media hounds off our backs. March should have used the old Michaelangelo trick of "I'll be finished when I'm finished". That is we'll decide on Wallace's future when we're good and ready. Oh well too late to change this now except to give March some how to handle the media lessons so his 2008 faux pases don't happen again.