Author Topic: Tyrone Vickery [merged]  (Read 314835 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tyrone Vickery [merged]
« Reply #1230 on: May 18, 2014, 01:01:34 PM »
How does it go again?

Oh yes... dud, delist!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wayne Carey's view on Vickery (Age)
« Reply #1231 on: May 23, 2014, 03:26:58 AM »
These five players just have to win the mind game
  Wayne Carey
     The Age
    May 23, 2014

"Making it" in the AFL is a tough gig. Ours is easily one of the most rigorous games in the world that demands strength, endurance and skill. While they're all physical traits, none is as important as what is above the shoulders.

My old coach Denis Pagan said on numerous occasions that football doesn't build character, it just eliminates the weak ones. Mental strength is the defining ingredient that separates footy's elite from the also-rans and, right now, has some footballers at the crossroads of their careers.

Every club will know the guys I'm talking about. They're the ones who "have it all", yet often fail to deliver. I'm not expecting any of these footballers to be superstars of the competition, but you can't sugarcoat their output over their careers.

Tyrone Vickery (Richmond): Drafted at No. 8 in 2008. 200cm. 98kg
After a couple of years of promise, Vickery's career statistics tell the story. He is averaging just 10 disposal a game, is taking fewer than four marks, isn't averaging a single score assist, while averaging just one goal per game and less than two tackles. He just isn't showing the desire or passion to play. That's not to say he doesn't show it at times, it's just that he doesn't show it consistently enough for a guy who's been on a list for more than five years. Just imagine if he was tearing into a contest like Joe Daniher at Essendon? A young player like Daniher might not boast better stats, but it's his attack on the footy that deserves credit.

Liam Jones (Western Bulldogs): Drafted at No. 32 in 2008 197cm. 98kg
Rhys Stanley (St Kilda): Drafted at No. 47 in 2008. 200cm. 96kg
Shaun McKernan (Adelaide): Drafted at No. 28 in 2008. 196cm. 99kg
Majak Daw (North Melbourne): Drafted at No. 9 in the 2010 rookie draft. 195cm. 97kg

Having listed those guys, it's important to reiterate that I don't expect any of them to be a Jonathan Brown or a Nick Riewoldt. What their clubs and fans are desperate to see is a certain level of competitiveness, hardness and willingness to hit a contest that is predictable to their onballers and teammates on a consistent basis.

Chris Dawes is the perfect example. He'd be the first to admit that he's not blessed with the greatest skills in the competition, but it's his endeavour and workrate that has helped turn Melbourne's season around. Dawes' form this year is probably better than anything I ever saw of him at Collingwood. It just shows what you can do when you put your mind to it. Since returning to the field for the Demons, he just seems to have been saying "come on boys, this is how it's done". He had eight tackles last week. It's that competitiveness, and willingness to have a go that also saved Jobe Watson's career. He too was at the crossroads as he battled weight and the way he prepared for footy. All of a sudden he went from a guy who might not make it, to a Brownlow medallist.

Shane Mumford is another who should be praised for the way he has turned his career around. He struggled to get a game at Geelong, but went to Sydney and turned himself into such a competitive beast that he played in a premiership. GWS look a far poorer team without him on the field.

What I’m getting back to is that the game is played in your head. It's all about attitude. Where some players might have a defeatist attitude if they're outnumbered, good footballers become even more determined just to make a contest. That's what prolongs, or ends, careers.

Consider this. The average career in the AFL is just 38 games. All the guys I've mentioned have the potential to be better than the average footballer. They just have to win the mind game.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/these-five-players-just-have-to-win-the-mind-game-20140522-zrl0y.html

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1232 on: May 23, 2014, 05:48:00 AM »
 :clapping
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1233 on: May 23, 2014, 07:16:01 AM »
Plays like a girl, needs to go to an army boot camp and be pushed to his physical limits, either doesn't want to be an AFL footballer or simply doesn't have what it takes, one of the more disappointing stories from the season of horrors.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1234 on: May 23, 2014, 08:34:49 AM »
Not a single score assist......

Tells the story oh so well!

It's good to have stats that actually back up what you see.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1235 on: May 23, 2014, 02:48:53 PM »
Just doesn't want the ball enough. Scared of making mistakes.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1236 on: May 23, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »
Plays like someone who simply doesn't want to be on the field.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1237 on: May 23, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »
The comments he made on twitter re: Mitch Clarke gave him away. Game simply doesn't mean that much to him.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1238 on: May 23, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »
Trade before he leaves for peanuts in a few years. Or worse stays till he retires.  :o

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1239 on: May 23, 2014, 03:37:03 PM »
Trade before he leaves for peanuts in a few years. Or worse stays till he retires.  :o

Agree or we try and size him up to play as a full time ruck.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1240 on: May 23, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »
Plays like a girl, needs to go to an army boot camp and be pushed to his physical limits, either doesn't want to be an AFL footballer or simply doesn't have what it takes, one of the more disappointing stories from the season of horrors.

Or Kakoda. He might even get some perspective on life.
The club that keeps giving.

tony_montana

« Reply #1241 on: May 23, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »
"Oh Look, Ty is immensely important to our structure"

the claw

« Reply #1242 on: May 24, 2014, 10:19:59 AM »
chris dawes is the perfect example of the things vickery has to do.
said on the game day thread dawes didnt have huge stats but his work rate compared to our cinderellas was huge. ffs brad miller warts and all would remain a better option than vickery up forward.

it looks to me vickery is a bit of a ruckman at times a bit of a forward at times he does both but hes not good at either.
his height says he should play ruck so few 200cm plus kpfs have made the grade. trouble is he lacks too many things to play in the ruck.

at 24yo he has 12 games to turn it around it is time to put up or go.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #1243 on: May 24, 2014, 10:25:06 AM »
Or Kakoda. He might even get some perspective on life.

Wouldnt last the first 10 minutes.

chris dawes is the perfect example of the things vickery has to do.
said on the game day thread dawes didnt have huge stats but his work rate compared to our cinderellas was huge. ffs brad miller warts and all would remain a better option than vickery up forward.

at 24yo he has 12 games to turn it around it is time to put up or go.

Agree with all of that. Lets hope those 12 games are in the reserves
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1244 on: May 28, 2014, 06:51:37 PM »
Vickery building to something special: Jackson
richmondfc.com.au
 May 28, 2014 2:06 PM

“I think Ty’s the same [as Jay Schulz]," Daniel Jackson said on 3AW. 

"He often looks a little bit laconic in the way he goes about it, but I spend a lot of time, even in my off-season, training with him, and he trains as hard as anyone.  When he’s in the boxing ring, he’s as feisty as anyone.

“We see that, maybe not quite as much as everyone would like on the footy field, but I think, again, it’s just a matter of time.

“Big guys take a bit longer to build that confidence up.

“I’ve still got 100% faith that he’s going to be a huge player in this competition over the years to come.”

Read more and the full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-05-28/vickery-building-to-something-special