Author Topic: Tyrone Vickery [merged]  (Read 314884 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tyrone Vickery [merged]
« Reply #1950 on: August 24, 2015, 06:55:02 PM »
There is bugger all difference in their stats, this year, at the same age or across their career EXCEPT that Vickery scores almost twice as many goals. Both played 12 games this year and stats are the same except Ty is averaging 2 per game to Ben's 1. Ty is just 12 months older. Line ball but I think Ty is the better.
you forgot to mention that Ben played a year in defence. Ty has never done that. At this stage Ty is ahead in a few areas - accuracy and durability are the two biggest. Ben is a better ruck chop out and takes good defensive contested marks.  I actually think they compliment each other and we are a better team when both are in and playing well.

Still kicks twice as many goals BUT think it comes down the their roles as well. Tyrone is more stay at home and Griff tries to cover the ground. You say they compliment each other well and I agree and you can throw Jack in their as well and they are all a different mix of player

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tyrone Vickery - 100 games this week
« Reply #1951 on: August 27, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
Milestone game  ;D.

Ty plays his 100th on Saturday night.

Career stats: http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=1941

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger Ty Vickery tunes out the criticism (afl site)
« Reply #1952 on: August 28, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »
Tiger Vickery tunes out the criticism

AFL.com.au
August 28, 2015

WHEN Richmond forward Ty Vickery is out of form, the negativity flows from everywhere.

"It comes from the media, it comes from supporters, and the negativity comes from yourself," he says.

But when the key forward is on a roll – as he is going into his 100th game with 10.0 from his past two matches – those same groups can be slow to get behind him.

That was evident on Thursday, when coach Damien Hardwick was asked at his weekly press conference if Vickery felt he was "one week away from being [the Richmond] fans' whipping boy" or if he felt more comfortable in his place.

Vickery's recent form would suggest he is certainly more comfortable in his place, and the key has been to seek shelter from all external feedback, good and bad.

"They're really passionate fans, no one could argue with that, and they love it when we're performing well and we're winning," Vickery told AFL.com.au of the Tiger Army.

"(But) you try not to let anything negative or positive get to you really and just get the job done on game day.

"When you're out of form it comes from everywhere. It comes from the media, it comes from supporters, and the negativity comes from yourself as well.

"You need to block it out and bring it back to basics for yourself and what you do well to turn around your form."

The feedback for Vickery was brutal after round five when he was towelled up by Geelong defender Jared Rivers and consequently, sent back to the VFL.

From that point there have been match-winning efforts, like his three goals against Collingwood in round seven, and low points, like his seven-possession effort against Adelaide in round 19.

But the past fortnight has raised hopes at Richmond that he’ll deliver consistently and could be a match-winner in September.

"The important thing for Ty is to listen to his coaches and understand how much we value his performance and what we rate that on," Hardwick said.

"It is hard with social media and all these forms of expression that people have, but all we worry about is what we say in these four walls.

"We've always known what an important player he is for our side and we're starting to see the consistency in his performance."

One of the keys to Vickery's form has been his goalkicking accuracy, with 24.7 from 12 games this season.

Vickery, who kicked 23.10 last season and 27.19 in 2013, said his improved goalkicking was as simple as lifting his load at training and practising under pressure.

"Confidence comes from a lot of shots and I work closely with 'Choco' Williams – he tries to put pressure on like a game by yelling at me," Vickery said.

"It seems to work if you follow the technique and there's been a big focus, particularly the last couple of years, from our club.

"If you only get two opportunities it's a lot better to kick two goals than two points."

There has been added motivation for Vickery to perform this year from teammates Ben Griffiths and Liam McBean, who have been hustling to break into the Richmond forward line.

Hardwick was pleased with a three-tall structure earlier in the season when Griffiths was fit, but recent games without the injured big man have seen the Tigers flourish with Vickery and Jack Riewoldt as sole tall targets. 

Motivation could also flow knowing he is entering the final year of his contract in 2016 and interest in the 25-year-old has ballooned following his 10-goal fortnight.

An extension, however, is not likely to be signed until after the upcoming trade period.

"I'm really happy at the club and I'm out of contract in a long time, so there's a lot of water to go under the bridge before that comes out," he said.

"[An extension] depends on a few things. It depends on myself and the club, where they're at as well.

"I just want to finish the year off really well for myself and the team and see how far we can go.

"But as I said I'm really happy at the club and love playing here and winning."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-28/tiger-vickery-blocks-out-the-criticism

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jeers turn into cheers for Vickery .... (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1953 on: August 29, 2015, 12:25:30 AM »
Jeers turn into cheers for Vickery ...

Ty Vickery has taken eight years to reach 100 games but is in career-best form

Herald-Sun
August 29, 2015

TY Vickery can solve a Rubik’s Cube with a few flicks of the wrist.

But while the Richmond forward can navigate the world’s best-selling puzzle, the riddle that is his AFL career has proved more difficult.

Tonight at the MCG against Essendon, Vickery will play his 100th game — a milestone that’s taken eight years to achieve after he was taken by the Tigers at No.8 in the 2008 national draft.

It’s been a rollercoaster journey that’s juggled six-goal bags and best-on-ground honours with brain fades and multiple-game suspensions.

Vickery’s friends and teammates say he’s as maligned as anyone in the game, disliked even by sections of the Tiger army. There have been dark times, moments where he’s felt like the negative energy was enveloping him, but with maturity has come a thick skin and stronger resolve.

He confronts the Bombers in arguably the form of his life, having kicked 10 goals straight in the past fortnight while ranking above average in marks (6.5 a game), score involvements (6.8) and goals (3) over the past month.

That’s Vickery the player. But Vickery the person, like the Rubik’s Cube he’s mastered, is more complex.

As one teammate told the Herald Sun

this week, if you met Vickery in a social setting, one of the last things you’d assume would be that he is a footballer.

The 25-year-old lives in Clifton Hill with his fiancee, Russian-born Australian professional tennis player Arina Rodionova. The pair will marry in December, a couple of years after meeting at a fancy dress party.

He’s got his teeth into a law degree and loves a debate almost as much as his cats Rambo and Dozor.

There’s the obsession with Sylvester Stallone’s 1980s action character, John Rambo, while Vickery is also a taekwondo black belt who won a national championships silver medal at 13.

He eats at the same place every night before a game, chowing down the sizzling Mongolian beef and rice hotplate - where he eats only the meat and rice, everythnig else is left on the plate - at a Vietnamese restaurant in Abbotsford.

It’s this intriguing, private life that stands in sharp contrast to the occasionally awkward, yet influential goalkicker, who has somehow become a magnet for criticism.

Dealing with that has been just as big a challenge as learning the AFL craft, according to his father and Tigers’ boxing coach John Vickery.

“It used to affect him and he and I sat down a lot to discuss it,” Vickery Sr said.

“You’ve just got to take no notice of it and he doesn’t. Sometimes I ask him, ‘How you going?’ and he says, ‘I’m not listening to it, Dad. I don’t care. I’m just going to play footy’.

“He seems to be a far happier bloke now than what he was a few years ago. He was in a dark spot there for a bit. He was always a quiet kid, never did anything wrong or said anything wrong. I don’t think he swore until he started hanging around with Jakey King.”

King stuck up for Vickery on the field and in retirement remains one of his fiercest allies.

“I like to compare and I compare him to Kurt Tippett — same height, same position, same everything,” King said.

“Tyrone is twice the player Kurt Tippett is and on half the money but 10 times the crap. It’s unfair on the poor kid and I think he’s been extremely hard done by, the way he gets treated.”

Coach Damien Hardwick this week said in-house opinion was all that mattered for Vickery, while one of his current teammates shook his head at the criticism arrowed his friend’s way.

“Even some of the Richmond fans can’t even have him. He’s not well-liked,” he said.

“He’s not going to tell you he’s a fan favourite. He’s well aware of his standing in the footy world, but he’s not worried about it and at the moment it’s obviously not affecting his footy.”

Vickery played junior footy for East Brighton Vampires. The club’s long-serving president Steve Hill has unwittingly found himself aboard the Vickery rollercoaster.

“I only get calls about him when he’s f....d up. Funnily enough, the phone has been quiet lately,” Hill said.

“It’s funny. He does some terrific things and people only hang on to the negatives with him.”

Hill’s mobile ran hot after Vickery’s well-publicised hit on West Coast legend Dean Cox last year.

Vickery copped a four-game ban and mountains of criticism from players, fans and the media.

Those close to him say he was mortified by his actions and insist he didn’t deliberately try to hurt Cox. Vickery publicly and privately apologised to Cox in the days after.

“If the Cox incident had happened two years earlier it would have got to him emotionally and I think he would have struggled, but the person that he’s become he’s a man in the way he goes about things in every way now,” King said.

The former small forward, along with another ex-Tiger Dan Jackson, tried to “build a shield” around their mate in their playing days.

“If it’s just someone’s opinion then we try to get him to brush it off and forget it and to not listen to anyone outside the club,” King said.

“He wishes things were different, but seeing him grow all the way through it, he’s become such a great person because of it all. He’s a beautiful human being.

“But like most smart people, he can’t build anything. He’s hopeless. So anything from Ikea, I get a phone call from him straight away.”

But Vickery is building.

Overlooked for the last two games of last season and slow to get going in this one, Vickery’s marking and goalkicking power is making an increasing difference to a Richmond side no rival would fancy playing this September.

In 2007 Vickery got a Chinese tattoo on his arm that translates as “Live Free”.

It’s taken much of the eight years since but now, more than ever, he’s doing exactly that.

http://www.news.com.au/national/ty-vickery-has-taken-eight-years-to-reach-100-games-but-is-in-career-best-form/story-e6frfkp9-1227502958593

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Tyrone Vickery - 100 games this week [merged]
« Reply #1954 on: August 29, 2015, 02:54:34 AM »
Whatever.

Kick ten tonight and we will talk then.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1955 on: August 29, 2015, 08:10:01 AM »
Personally, I won't be happy until he kicks ten week in, week out.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #1956 on: August 29, 2015, 08:52:15 AM »

This won't happen unless he shrinks a centi meter...

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1957 on: August 29, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »

While taking over number one ruck duties . Bye Ivan.
Unleash the tornado

dwaino

« Reply #1958 on: August 29, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »
It's only between the ears for Ty. He's very athletic, deceptively strong (has one of those wirey looking frames though) and has many times showed he possesses the skills. Only thing stopping him from being consistently good is himself.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jeers turn into cheers for Vickery .... (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1959 on: August 29, 2015, 12:48:44 PM »

It’s been a rollercoaster journey that’s juggled six-goal bags

No need for the plural, he's only done it once. Which pretty much sums up most peoples critiscms about him (consistency)

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #1960 on: August 29, 2015, 10:33:06 PM »
Thankfully he's got good foot skills because he went back to playing from behind and trying to get cheap ones out the back. Disappointing after the last 2 weeks.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1961 on: August 30, 2015, 12:30:51 PM »
Thankfully he's got good foot skills because he went back to playing from behind and trying to get cheap ones out the back. Disappointing after the last 2 weeks.

Was back to his frustrating worst tonight :banghead. Was embarrassing seeing no forwards lead to the ball carrier

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #1962 on: August 30, 2015, 01:29:12 PM »

Was back to his frustrating worst tonight :banghead. Was embarrassing seeing no forwards lead to the ball carrier

Yep everyone wanted the one out the back tonight. Think we've had too much success getting in behind Carlton's and GC's zones the last two weeks and the forwards became complacent.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1963 on: August 30, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »
It's only between the ears for Ty. He's very athletic, deceptively strong (has one of those wirey looking frames though) and has many times showed he possesses the skills. Only thing stopping him from being consistently good is himself.

A fair statement. His ability at ground level is very good and is usually a very accurate kick for goal.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1964 on: August 30, 2015, 02:24:02 PM »

Yep everyone wanted the one out the back tonight. Think we've had too much success getting in behind Carlton's and GC's zones the last two weeks and the forwards became complacent.

wet weather footy creates a lot of opportunities out the back of the pack, but I think they overplayed it and forgot you still need to create the pack rather than let your opponent take the footy uncontested
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI