Author Topic: Richmond NOT promised $300k to let Ben Cousins play  (Read 2757 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond NOT promised $300k to let Ben Cousins play
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »
Richmond promised $300k to let Ben Cousins play
Tony Sheahan | December 13, 2008 05:27pm

A RICHMOND Football Club stalwart and millionaire restaurateur is prepared to reward the Tigers if the club revives the career of Ben Cousins.

Frank Dimattina, who played 42 games for the Tigers and is the father of former Bulldog Paul Dimattina, has told the club he will give it $300,000 if it drafts Cousins on Tuesday, The Sunday Times has learnt.

The patriarch of the Dimattina family, which owns a number of restaurants around the nation and a coffee franchise, confirmed he had made the Tigers a cash offer, but would not disclose the exact amount.

"If Richmond is prepared to take Ben, we'll up the ante and make a substantial contribution towards the football club," said family spokesman Paul Dimattina, who played 131 games for the Western Bulldogs.

He was originally drafted by Richmond, but didn't play a game.

The revelation came as former Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy, who urged Cousins to make contact with Richmond coach Terry Wallace, said Cousins was determined to get a second chance.

Sheedy met Cousins and his father in Perth earlier this month and was further convinced he deserved a go.

On Friday night, Sheedy received a voice message from Cousins saying: "Thanks for all your help and for meeting me. I really appreciate everything you've done."

The Tigers are hoping to secure a second pick in Tuesday's pre-season draft in order to secure Cousins, but AFL clubs are divided about the issue of injured Tiger Graham Polak being placed on the rookie list.

The AFL will hand down its decision tomorrow.

And, providing what could be a new incentive to other clubs should the Richmond deal not come off, Paul Dimattina said he would consider making the cash available to any team that took on the troubled star.

"As far as im concerned yeah, I'm sure the family would look at it," he said.

If Richmond did take Cousins, he said the former West Coast Eagle would have a responsibility to the club.

"If (Cousins) is given the opportunity, hopefully he makes the most of it," he said.

The financial enticement is a major boost to the Tigers, which is without a major sponsor for next season.

It is understood Richmond coach Terry Wallace is aware of the Dimattina offer.

Cousins flew to Melbourne on Thursday to plead his case to Wallace, returning to Perth the same night.

The Dimattinas, who said they would not impose conditions on how the club spent the donation, also criticised corporate sponsors who have publically interfered in Cousins' bid to return to football.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24796006-5005401,00.html
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:26:42 AM by one-eyed »

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond promised $300k to let Ben Cousins play (Sunday Times)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:23:21 PM »
That is fantastic, I will stand up now and be counted, I was dead against this guy coming to our club but more so of losing draft picks for him. No that we are not going to lose anything and I firmly believe Cousins will play until 34-35 (Harvey) I can't wait to get this guy to the club, if it eventuates.

GO BEN :clapping
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 10:26:25 PM »
This whole episode gets more bizarre by the minute!   :o

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers offered bonus to recruit Ben Cousins (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 02:11:02 AM »
Tigers offered bonus to recruit Ben Cousins
Tony Sheahan and Jackie Epstein | Herald-Sun| December 14, 2008

A MILLIONAIRE Tigers fan has offered the club a $300,000 bonus if it recruits recovering drug addict Ben Cousins.

As AFL chiefs assess Richmond's controversial bid for an extra pick in order to secure the Brownlow medallist in Tuesday's pre-season draft, football's Dimattina family made the offer.

Frank Dimattina, who played 42 games for the Tigers and is the father of former Bulldog Paul Dimattina, has offered the rich carrot.

"If Richmond is prepared to take Ben, we'll up the ante and make a substantial contribution towards the football club," Paul Dimattina said yesterday.

The family - which owns a string of restaurants including Society in Bourke St - declined to put a figure on the bonus, but the Sunday Herald Sun understands it could be as high as $300,000.

It has also emerged that the 30-year-old former Eagle has offered a heartfelt thanks to former Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy for trying to save his career.

Sheedy met Cousins and his father in Perth early this month and was convinced that he deserved a go.

On Friday night, Sheedy received a voice message from Cousins saying: "Thanks for all your help and for meeting me. I really appreciate everything you've done."

The patriarch of the Dimattina family, which owns a number of restaurants and a coffee franchise, confirmed he made the Tigers a cash offer, but would not say how much.

Paul Dimattina said yesterday: "If Richmond is prepared to take Ben, we'll up the ante and make a substantial contribution to the club."

Dimattina played 131 games for the Western Bulldogs after being drafted by Richmond, though he never played for the Tigers.

The latest play in the Cousins saga came as former Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy said Cousins was determined to get a second chance.

Sheedy said he urged Cousins to contact Richmond coach Terry Wallace after meeting the former West Coast champion and his father in Perth this month.

He left them convinced that Cousins deserved a go.

The Tigers hope to secure a second pick in Tuesday's pre-season draft in order to secure Cousins, but AFL clubs are divided about the issue of injured Tiger Graham Polak being placed on the rookie list.

The AFL will hand down its decision tomorrow.

If Richmond picks Cousins, Paul Dimattina said the drug-addicted former West Coast Eagle had a responsibility to the club.

"Don't go and do the wrong thing," Dimattina said. "If he (Cousins) is given the opportunity, hopefully he makes the most of it."

The financial enticement is a major boost to Richmond, though the Tigers last night did not wish to discuss the offer.

"The club has not received any formal representations in relation to Ben Cousins," a spokeswoman said. "We don't want to comment on hypotheticals."

The spokeswoman added the club expected in the next couple of months to secure a co-major sponsor to join Dick Smith Electronics.

A conglomerate of family members makes up the Dimattina Group, which owns Carlton restaurants Il Gambero and Dimattina's and Southbank cafe Blue Train.

The group, run by Paul Dimattina since October this year when Frank handed over the reins, also owns Bourke St restaurant Society and the Dimattina Coffee company.

It is understood Terry Wallace is aware of the Dimattina offer.

Wallace first contacted Cousins and his management about three weeks ago while Brisbane and St Kilda debated the 30-year-old's future.

Cousins flew to Melbourne on Thursday, pleaded his case to Wallace and returned to Perth.

The Dimattinas, who said they would not impose conditions on how the club spent the donation, have also criticised corporate sponsors who have publicly interfered in Cousins's bid to return to football.

"From a sponsorship perspective, all the other sponsors have too much to say in a negative aspect," Paul Dimattina said.

"There's been a lot of people who haven't supported the guy from what I've been reading. Everyone deserves a second shot in life.

``You would hate to see how his life may spiral out of control if he isn't given another chance."

Mr Dimattina said he would consider making the funds available to any club that took on Cousins.

"I'm sure the family would look at it," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24796271-19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 03:52:41 AM »
 :gobdrop

Geez this will put pressure on the club and March to change their mind on not using pick 6 on Cousins if the AFL turns us down. As much as your eyes light up at the $300k I'm not a fan of finances dictating recruiting decisions.

Also if this money is available to other clubs then a broke and desperate Melbourne could grab Cousins just for the sake of the getting their hands on some easy cash.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 08:30:32 AM »
I'm sure it's a nice gesture from a generous Richmond man. The timing doesn't sit well with me though.
Rewarding something you like after it has happened without announcing you will beforehand removes any possibility of being accused of manipulation.

What's next? From a more unsavory source to put on some pressure, concrete shoes for you if you do/don't play Cousins?
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 09:22:05 AM »
In the current financial climate a $300,000 donation coming on top of a major sponsorship announcement probably this week, means we have to take the risk on Cousins. In effect we are now being paid to pick him, hes not gonna cost us anything ... infact we are substantially profiting from drafting Cousins. If we could get this $300,000 + say another $1 million from another sponsor then that puts the club in a very strong financial position in 2008-2009 financial year.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 09:24:42 AM »
This is getting off it's t@s with perks even if Cousins hits the wall.  :o

Just wow.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 01:31:11 PM »
I have to say I am not sure about this... yep in these times you'd take the $$$$

But why is it dependant on Ben Cousins?

With all due respect to the Dimmatina Family if they can afford to kick in $300k then just do it, sign as a sponsor don't link it the recruitment of one particular player....
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »
I have to say I am not sure about this... yep in these times you'd take the $$$$

But why is it dependant on Ben Cousins?

With all due respect to the Dimmatina Family if they can afford to kick in $300k then just do it, sign as a sponsor don't link it the recruitment of one particular player....

I agree WP.  I think it is opportunistic and grandstanding and very poorly timed for both club and player.

Ox

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 02:28:09 PM »
it's grouse !

Relax.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »
it's grouse !

Relax.

grouse??

at least we all know brackets resides in the Western Suburbs

For what its worth its great news. More money coming in for really what. If RFC pull it off then they deserve every windfall that comes their way
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 03:47:20 PM »
it's grouse !

Relax.

grouse??

For what its worth its great news. More money coming in for really what. If RFC pull it off then they deserve every windfall that comes their way

The day you learn how to start and finish sentences will be the day that you will be qualified to criticise others.

:wallywink

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »
it's grouse !

Relax.

grouse??

The day you learn how to start and finish sentences will be the day that you will be qualified to criticise others.

Thats grouse............

:lol
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »
it's grouse !

Relax.

grouse??

Thats grouse............

:lol

...and learn what an apostrophe is as well.

:thumbsup