Author Topic: Cousins vs a Young Kid  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Cousins vs a Young Kid
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:02:46 PM »
Ok since we love polls so much here is another, would you take Ben in the PSD over a kid or some other recycled player.

Keep in mind that the RFC has already made its stance clear on selecting a kid at number 6 and to reverse that now may make them look a little foolish.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Cousins vs a Young Kid
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:14:16 PM »
Just repeating what I said in the other thread. I would go for the best kid. Cousins 2008/9 is a 30 year old short-term option at best who hasn't played footy for 15 months and counting, who did his hammy in that comeback game after missing 10? weeks before that, who is also a recovering drug addict with stipulations on him that don't apply to any other AFL player even those who are on two strikes. If we had been given pick 7 then we were getting Cuz for nothing and I would've been willing to take the (no) risk of giving him one last chance. But now we have to decide to pick him over a kid at pick 6. Now sure this kid could end up a dud who doesn't last 2 years but he could also be the next Foley for all we know and ends up having a 10 year career when Cousins will be long forgotten.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JammatheTIGER

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:24:11 PM »
Richmond better draft BEN omg

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 05:31:28 PM »
Gourdis - was not good enough to get drafted in two national drafts, was delisted (behind Schultz/Hughes types) ...

KKK - Kops Kill Kids? Some random kid. Andy Collins is prolly a better footballer.

Get Cousins FFS.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 05:38:20 PM »
I want what is best for the RFC ....

If you de-list someone and then say we may rookie you then you run the risk of that player not getting through to you .... that appears to the be scenario the Tigers are faced with....

I cannot believe I am saying this but I'd take Cousins over a kid at this stage

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 05:41:19 PM »
We may not even have to make the decison if Port or someone else grabs Cousins. Some caller in Alberton is claiming there's a meeting being hastly arranged over there since they heard Richmond's press conference.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 05:47:03 PM »
Port wont take him..

Committed to Josh Carr...

Richmonds decision shouldn't have any worth to Port as they could take him before us regardless of the Polak decision...

Anyone else feel for David Gourdis now?
Go Tigers!

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 05:48:53 PM »
surely gourdis hasnt the credentials that would warrant us passing over a Brownlow medalist, 4*B&F premiership player...surelyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :o
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 05:52:38 PM »
Craig Cameron said he's looking at the long term future..

How long can we be looking to the future?

Craid no1 can predict the future the gamble of Gourdis and Cousins are both in teh boat of "coudl be anything?" Why not go for someone taht wil gaurentee you 100k attendance in Round 1, extra incentive for sponsors and possibly a bucket load of talent that otehr players can learn off..

I just feel sorry for Gourids cause he'll get eaten him up if he isn't a star...
Go Tigers!

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »
Q. What is best for the RFC ?
Q. Following a plan/model ?

A. Draft a player who will take No 1 tagger and allow the younger guns to flourish and grow there own game. Realise true potential, without heavy pressure and being shut down whilst still maturing as players, thus not stalling there develop ment. ! Remember what happen to Cotch once the Footy world realised what he was capable of - taken out of the game ! And Foley wasn't allowed to have a year that mirrored 2007. Hard tags for people that aren't used to them are just that, hard to cope with. West Coast had Judd, Kerr and Cousins. You can't take all three out, can you ? This is why they were so successful. We have a fantastic opportunity to do something similar.

A. Wanting to build a steller midfield. How can we do this when the kids are held back ?
What could Lids,Axel,Cotch and yes even Tambling be capable of when not being shadowed.

Remember !
Highly unlikely.

Still a glimmar there, don't shut the door until 11am tomorrow people !

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 05:55:12 PM »
Essendon to pick David Gourdis???

Gee I feel for this kid..

Get Cousins in for at minimum 1 year to give Richo a chance at competetive Finals Footy!! Thats what its all about!!

We've lost a Senior Player in Polak indefinetly he shoudl be replaced with one in Ben Cousin as simple as that.

HELP US SHEEDS!!
Go Tigers!

Moi

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 05:57:24 PM »
We may not even have to make the decison if Port or someone else grabs Cousins. Some caller in Alberton is claiming there's a meeting being hastly arranged over there since they heard Richmond's press conference.
Well, Richmond's announcement they probably won't look at Ben has opened up the doors to every other club there now.  Where they mightn't have wanted him before, there'll be at least one club who'll see the coverage this has got, the groundswell of support for Ben and run with it.

Got the smell of Mr Incompetence all over it.

What's Free's role down there again?

If we miss out on Ben, should be an interesting AGM

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 05:57:50 PM »
For those with Facebook:

Join Group
"I Support Ben Cousins to Richmond with PS Draft Pick 6"

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34530014363&ref=mf#/group.php?gid=34530014363&ref=mf
Go Tigers!

bushranger

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »
I would now after all the talks and everything that has gone on, and if he is still there at number 6.
I too can't believe it but I would say take Ben over a kids.  
I think the board have worked hard to get Ben to us and I think we will be loyal to that if he is still there.
So klets see if we are loyal to our word to him or loyal to our saying we would stay with the young bloods.
I think in a short term thing Ben is the one for us to get. And I have warmed to the idea of him here now.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 06:41:32 PM »
Well we've got Healy first on 3aw saying Richmond can't afford not to pick up Cousins and it'll be a sign of leadership for Cameron to change his mind. Then Walls comes on and says if we pick up Cousins then March loses all credibility after 2 days ago saying we wouldn't.

The media will bash us whichever way we go  ::).