Author Topic: Robin Nahas [merged]  (Read 39110 times)

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Robin Nahas [merged]
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2009, 10:58:11 PM »
Nahas looking for improvement
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen | Tue 06 October, 2009

A GOOD first year, but plenty of improvement to come.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/85790/default.aspx

Gee I hope he puts on a bit of weight in the off season.  He is such a little guy.  But I'm pretty happy with him as a pick up so far.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Lucky Robin Nahas has stolen Tiger hearts (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2009, 10:31:55 PM »
Lucky Robin Nahas has stolen Tiger hearts

* Sam Edmund
    * December 21, 2009

ANDREW Demetriou had reached Round 8 of this year's Brownlow Medal count when his vaudeville-style pronunciation of a particular surname sparked chuckles in the Crown Palladium ballroom.

"R. Naaaahaaas," Demetriou excitedly yelled. "Two votes."

When the TV broadcast then cut to footage of the next round's highlights, the AFL chief was overheard asking: "Did you like my Nahas?"

"I just heard he enjoyed saying my name," Nahas said.

"I like that, actually."

It's difficult to find anyone who doesn't like Robin Nahas.

How can you not admire a 22-year-old kid who has been made to fight for everything he has achieved in the game.

Too small, not good enough - Nahas has heard it all.

Winning last year's Fothergill-Round Medal as the best young player in the VFL finally broke down a door that had been shut for three years. After playing a starring role for Port Melbourne under Gary Ayres, Richmond decided to give the electrifying goalsneak a chance with its first pick in the rookie draft.

What came next was a debut season of enormous promise.

Despite missing a large chunk of pre-season because of groin problems, Nahas played 19 of 22 games, kicked 21 goals, ranked third for scoring contributions and won the club's best first-year player award.

The diminutive Tiger of Lebanese descent is not your typical young footballer.

You won't get him talking up his graduation to AFL.

"I just got lucky," is how Nahas explains it.

"Gary Ayres was just fantastic. He put me in a position where I had a chance to get drafted. He told me what areas I needed to work on, what area of the ground I should play and what role I needed to play."

His first training session at Richmond was watched by just a few more than the typical handful of Punt Rd diehards. It happened to coincide with the circus that was Ben Cousins' arrival.

"I've come in and there's thousands of people there. It was pretty surreal walking into that," Nahas said.

Suddenly the kid from Salesian College found himself beside the most talked-about bloke in the game, Tigers great Matthew Richardson and a coach who would be fighting a losing battle to save his career.

But any temptation for Nahas to get swept away with his new life was quashed by a normal home life. He lives with his mum Hiam, who moved to Australia from Lebanon 30 years ago, and brother Ronnie, 24, in an Oakleigh house where the door is always open.

"My mum loves having my mates over. They come over every day, it's like a halfway house and even when I'm not there they're there," he said.

"(Teammates) Shane Edwards and Daniel Connors were there having something to eat the other day and a truck load of my mates just came in, grabbed some food and went to watch TV in the other room and they were like, 'What's going on here?'

"I'm lucky I've got a really close group of mates that I'm always around and they take my mind off football. Actually, they don't know too much about football to be honest."

Outside the game Nahas is your typical 22-year-old male who loves his PlayStation.

Soccer game FIFA 10 and war epic Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 occupy Nahas' time away from the club as he does battle with opponents from across the globe over the internet.

"I do play a bit of PlayStation," he said. "I play a bit too much I get told. My mates say I'm addicted and that I've got a problem."

He certainly doesn't have a problem finding the footy.

This year's Round 4 clash against Melbourne at the MCG saw Nahas gather 12 disposals, four marks, lay four tackles and kick his first goal.

But more importantly, his second game told him he could survive at AFL level.

"Against Melbourne I laid a couple of tackles, my defensive side of the game was up and I think it just went from there. I just felt a bit more comfortable," Nahas said.

But he claims good fortune. "I think I got a bit lucky with the opportunity at Richmond this year," he said.

"Obviously I fitted a need as a small forward and at the time we didn't really have any and I got an opportunity when I probably didn't warrant it."

Nahas was rewarded with elevation to the senior list at last month's national draft and is determined to prove season No. 1 was no fluke.

He has added strength and size - now topping the scales at 71kg compared to 63kg 12 months ago - on his way to repaying the faith.

"I've just got to make sure I don't slack off now," he said.

And he says coach Damien Hardwick has already left his mark on the players.

"He's been fantastic so far. The whole coaching staff has been extremely positive with the group," Nahas said.

"I think it's just about continuing to enjoy it. I don't go out there with any great expectation. I just go out there and try to have as much fun as possible."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/lucky-robin-nahas-has-stolen-tiger-hearts/story-e6frf9jf-1225812237088

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2009, 11:12:19 PM »
PS3 a great way to put weight on lol        really looking forward to watching the boy wonder rip it up in reason 2010
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2009, 10:38:31 PM »
PS3 a great way to put weight on lol        really looking forward to watching the boy wonder rip it up in reason 2010
;D

Still better than Fiora's favourite past-time of sleeping lol.

Good to hear Robbie has put on 8kgs. A big test for him next year as opposition clubs will know a lot more about him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Little man Robin Nahas makes the big time (Age)
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2010, 02:14:08 AM »
Little man makes the big time
MICHAEL GLEESON
February 3, 2010

IT IS a cruel and unusual punishment for one of the smaller, slighter players in the AFL to be sent to a primary school to address students some of whom are almost as tall.

Some don't even believe that Robin Nahas is an AFL player. Twelve months ago it was not just primary school kids thinking those thoughts. AFL recruiters were equally sceptical of Nahas' ability to make the grade.

Nineteen games later in his debut season, including two Brownlow Medal votes extravagantly announced by Andrew Demetriou, and Nahas has delivered on the idea that short does not mean small and confronted the modern football truism that size matters. He is short, but is a considerable handful.

He started 2009 on Richmond's rookie list after winning the Fothergill-Round Medal as the best young player in the VFL for his impressive 2008 season at Port Melbourne. Then there were no doubts on his talent - only on whether he could take that game to the elite level against bigger bodies. He had similar doubts himself.

"I have come into AFL and everyone is saying I am so much smaller, but to me I am used to being smaller than everyone else,'' Nahas said yesterday at Richmond's community camp in Craigieburn. ''It wasn't a massive thing for me, the only thing was knowing whether I was capable at that level.

''I knew I could play VFL football but I was very nervous going into AFL football based on the fact I finally got given an opportunity it had taken me so long to get, and I was going to take it and that was the scariest thing.

"People say you did it the tough way but obviously being small you need to prove yourself a lot more based on the fact they are going to see if you can play against the bigger bodies. I accept that but I was lucky enough last year to get picked and I probably got a spot when I didn't warrant it. I'll be honest about that, they gave me a couple of games to grow at the top level and I got the opportunity, which was the main thing, and everything went from there."

Nahas is doubtless already sick of stories such as this that dwell on his size. Brent Harvey tired of it years ago. But it is the most eye-catching thing about his game. His boyish size looks out of place, but his ability does not.

The son of Lebanese parents he has crafted a position for himself in the role dominated at AFL level by lightly-framed Aboriginal players - the fast, aggressive-tackling forward pocket.

"I think my tackling and chasing ability is an asset. It means I might not get as many kicks but I might get the ball back for my teammates, which is important," he said.

"I think I am lucky that I am playing AFL because I can just hold on and they can run with me hanging on, where if I was playing rugby I don't think I would be doing much damage.

''But in footy I can just hold on and get the free. Sometimes they fall to the ground and it looks like I have done something but I am just holding on.''

Nahas was given his chance last year by Terry Wallace as the team struggled, and caretaker Jade Rawlings continued to push the young forward. Now he has a new coach in Damien Hardwick to win over.

"I have not established myself and have not achieved anything of what I want to achieve. I just go into this year with the same determination I went into last year, with no room for being comfortable or complacent. I just want to play to Dimma's [Hardwick's] structure and my role in the team.

"Obviously I have worked hard to be at AFL level so I know what it is like not to be playing AFL football. I am not as gifted as some people, I don't have the body size where I can rely on that, so I have to keep on working," Nahas said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/little-man-makes-the-big-time-20100202-nb2q.html

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Little man Robin Nahas makes the big time (Age)
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2010, 11:44:33 AM »
So much LMAO in this article.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »
So much LMAO in this article.

And yet so much of what is missing in much of the rest of our list.   :-[

FNM

« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2010, 12:09:58 PM »
Go Cockrobin  :thumbsup  ;)

:gotigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
VFL stint fires up Nahas (RFC)
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2010, 02:07:46 PM »
VFL stint fires up Nahas
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Wed 28 April, 2010

RICHMOND forward Robin Nahas says being dropped to the VFL for a couple of weeks was the wake-up call he needed.

Nahas played the first two rounds of the AFL season, but was then sent back to Coburg to work on his game.

He made his return in last weekend's clash with Fremantle, and while 18 touches and three goals was clearly his best return for the season, Nahas said it was just a start.

"I've been very very disappointing so far, so obviously the weekend was just a stepping-stone, and that's probably the bare minimum to keep me in the side each week," he told richmondfc.com.au.

"Defensively I've let the team down, and the weekend was obviously a step in the right direction.

"I obviously want to improve from last year, and the way I started this year was not exactly what I wanted. But it's time to respond now, and hopefully I can continue to do that."

The 22-year-old, who finished third at the club in 2009 for tackles laid, said coach Damien Hardwick was very clear as to why he was being given a run in the VFL.

"Dimma was extremely positive, but he just said the defensive side of my game - which is very important to the side - wasn't up to scratch, and it wasn't impacting games, and I had to go away and work at that.

"I said to him that he was spot-on, and so that's what I tried to do at the VFL, just get the defensive side of my game up.

"Hopefully I can bring that to the AFL, but the weekend was just one game, so I'm not hanging my hat on that at all."

It's often said that most footy is played above the shoulders, and Nahas agreed that his attitude needed adjustment, which two weeks in the VFL made a start on.

"I think it's just an attitude thing, tackling - it's definitely an attitude thing, and it's just intent.

"For whatever reason, for those first two weeks, as much as I wanted to put on that defensive pressure, I wasn't getting myself in the right position offensively to be able to impact defensively at the same time.

"On the weekend it was just a massive focus to be very ruthless defensively and luckily enough, I reaped a few rewards. But like I said, it's only one week."

Richmond has won only won three quarters for the year, but Sunday's Anzac Day clash with a rampaging Fremantle was clearly its best game of the year.

The Tigers booted six goals to one in the first term and still led at the long break before being outscored 11 goals to five in the second half.

But despite the Tigers still looking for a win after five rounds, Nahas said supporters shouldn't lose hope.

"It was really good to play out there on the weekend - in the first half, the way we moved the footy was just like we were at training, we were moving the ball exactly how we wanted and how the coaches had implemented the structures," Nahas said. "Obviously, after half-time we went away from that a bit, but we're a young side, we're going to be up and down a bit throughout the game.

"But I thought it was a very pleasing sign to see us move the ball that way, and each week we're going to get better.

"Our tackles have gone up every week, we've had less missed tackles, and I think we won the possession count in that first quarter.

"Richmond fans have got to understand that it's going to take a bit of time with a new group, but hopefully they can see the improvement, because we definitely can."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/93198/default.aspx

Ox

« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2010, 02:33:46 PM »
They always say this - lmao.

"It's what i really needed".

WTF did u need it after such a lengthy pre season?

BS.

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
They always say this - lmao.

"It's what i really needed".

WTF did u need it after such a lengthy pre season?

BS.

kicked more goals that frekin Jack .. send him back to coburg

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »
he deserves a backslap for the way he responded, id pretty well written him off after his woeful start to the year, the tackling he showed on sun night was non existent earlier, and that is a key to his game...he is dead right in that he needs to take that to ea game as a minumin to remain a senior player
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2010, 08:36:53 PM »
Cuz just confirmed that the "rumours" about Nahas and his massive bananhas in his pyjamhas

"Not taken Nahas to the Brownlow 'cause I can't compete, all the rumours are in fact true"!!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2010, 08:43:13 PM »
Little wonder Nahorse has trouble kicking straight.

gerkin greg

« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2010, 10:00:17 PM »
The pyramid of giza is a little wonder in comparison

i could murder a kebab right now