Author Topic: Rookie Pick 67: PASS  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Rookie Pick 67: PASS
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 11:46:21 PM »
Except rookies don't count in TPP

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 09:09:20 AM »

Thanks Infamy, I stand corrected.  It may still well have been a financial decision though, especially in the current economic climate and without a confirmed co-major sponsor yet.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 09:43:11 AM »

Thanks Infamy, I stand corrected.  It may still well have been a financial decision though, especially in the current economic climate and without a confirmed co-major sponsor yet.
Agreed, but I think the decision was more one that there was simply no one they thought was worth spending the money on

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »
Maybe we may try again next year putting Polak on the rookie list with the spare rookie spot there waiting. He'll be out of contract so the AFL won't be able to use that "he's contracted" excuse and it WILL be exactly like Rama's situation.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 06:50:25 PM »
It's not good economics to pick a player for the heck of it with almost zip prospect of making seniors , I even have massive ? over Nahas...He's tiny, possibly smallest player I've ever seen, surely Klemke would be a better senior prospect...In any case ea player would cost 50K + if the pool starts to thin, PASS is a worthy option ;)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 07:37:05 PM »
It's not good economics to pick a player for the heck of it with almost zip prospect of making seniors , I even have massive ? over Nahas...He's tiny, possibly smallest player I've ever seen, surely Klemke would be a better senior prospect...In any case ea player would cost 50K + if the pool starts to thin, PASS is a worthy option ;)
Whether Nahas makes it is yet to be seen (yep he's small as is Gilligan) but at 21 y.o. he'll probably be the one to be promoted when Polak is eventually put on the LTIL.

The Club obviously didn't rate Klemke as we bypassed him numerous times. He wasn't picked up until pick 50? in the rookie draft.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »
I forgot to post this last week after the AGM but Craig Cameron was asked why we passed on this pick and he said that we were of the belief that the talent pool had dried up

:thumbsup
Whether Nahas makes it is yet to be seen (yep he's small as is Gilligan) but at 21 y.o. he'll probably be the one to be promoted when Polak is eventually put on the LTIL.

Disagree - I think Silvestor wil get promoted if he shows enough in the pre-season comp. He is rated very highly by the club
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 08:00:22 PM »
I forgot to post this last week after the AGM but Craig Cameron was asked why we passed on this pick and he said that we were of the belief that the talent pool had dried up

:thumbsup

Disagree - I think Silvestor wil get promoted if he shows enough in the pre-season comp. He is rated very highly by the club
Ta WP.

How is the Big Cat going to get into the side though ahead of Moore, Thursty, McGuane, Rance and possibly Post?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 08:09:03 PM »
How is the Big Cat going to get into the side though ahead of Moore, Thursty, McGuane, Rance and possibly Post?

I would think he would be ahead of Post at the moment. I see him as insurance if one of the first 3 you mentioned is injured or horribly out of form... I dont think it is reasonable to expect Rance to carry the load of one of the 3 get injured

I think he deserves a chance. 2009 will be his last year as a rookie, he had one opportunity in the 2008 NAB cup and granted he struggled but he isn't the first bloke to have done that.

But simply based on his entire 2008 VFL season where he again got team of the year honours I reckon we need to bite the bullet and see if he up to AFL standard
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 10:01:09 PM »

I would think he would be ahead of Post at the moment. I see him as insurance if one of the first 3 you mentioned is injured or horribly out of form... I dont think it is reasonable to expect Rance to carry the load of one of the 3 get injured

I think he deserves a chance. 2009 will be his last year as a rookie, he had one opportunity in the 2008 NAB cup and granted he struggled but he isn't the first bloke to have done that.

But simply based on his entire 2008 VFL season where he again got team of the year honours I reckon we need to bite the bullet and see if he up to AFL standard

You can throw Schultz into the mix as a potential key back.  I think the Big Cat will struggle, dare I say it - he might be muttering "Sufferin Succotash" under his breath every Thursday night for another year.......
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”