Author Topic: Ben Cousins and the accused killer / Underworld links haunt Cousins (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2472 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Cousins and the accused killer
Elissa Hunt and Michael Warner | December 17, 2008

BEN Cousins has flown back into a storm of controversy amid court claims of links to an accused gangland killer.

As Cousins today begins a new life as a Richmond footballer, police yesterday named the fallen champ in court as being connected to alleged underworld figure Angelo Venditti.

"Fat Ange" Venditti is charged with the contract killing of drug dealer Paul Kallipolitis in Sunshine in 2002. Police allege slain underworld hitman Andrew "Benji" Veniamin was the hired gun who carried out the killing.

In opposing bail for Mr Venditti in the Supreme Court yesterday, the homicide squad's Sen-Det Tim Bell said the accused killer had been under police surveillance since May.

He said it had become apparent Mr Venditti was well connected to Cousins and gangland figures Mick Gatto and John Kizon.

Cousins, 30, officially became a Tiger yesterday after the club selected him with the final pick in the pre-season AFL draft.

The Herald Sun was first to reveal yesterday that the Tigers had decided to draft the former Eagle.

Richmond declined to comment on the court case naming Cousins.

Cousins last night landed at Tullmarine where he was mobbed by excited Richmond fans. He said the past 24 hours had been gruelling as he was not sure he would be selected in the pre-season draft.

A hero's welcome awaits him at the the Tigers' Punt Rd headquarters today where he will join teammates for a 9am training session.

Cousins said he was very excited by the opportunity and thanked his family for helping him through his ordeal.

"And I want to thank Richmond and the support from all their fans in the past 48 hours. I can't wait to start training with the players and I'm looking forward to wearing the yellow and black and playing at the MCG in front of the Tiger faithful." 

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24811645-661,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Underworld links haunts Ben Cousins
Elissa Hunt | December 17, 2008

A GANGLAND murder investigation has linked Ben Cousins to an accused killer.

Police yesterday revealed in court recent surveillance had uncovered Cousins' connection to accused underworld murderer Angelo Mario Venditti.

Mr Venditti, known as "Fat Ange", is charged with the contract killing of drug dealer Paul "PK" Kallipolitis in 2002.

Cousins was named in Mr Venditti's bail application to the Supreme Court.

The evidence given by a homicide detective came just an hour after Cousins's AFL career was rescued by the Tigers, who picked him up in the pre-season draft.

Sen-Det Tim Bell told a court that monitoring and surveillance which began in May this year uncovered Mr Venditti's extensive ties to high-profile sporting, business and criminal identities.

He named Cousins, underworld figure Mick Gatto, Perth criminal identity John Kizon and a accused drug importer Fabian Quaid - a friend of Cousins - as among Mr Venditti's connections.

Cousins was quizzed by police in 2005 over a nightclub brawl involving Kizon, an associate of slain standover man Alphonse Gangitano.

The court heard Kallipolitis had declared war on Mr Venditti, who then hired murdered hitman Andrew "Benji" Veniamin to kill his rival.

Mr Gatto was also implicated in the murder, with police alleging he acted as a conduit between Mr Venditti and Veniamin. Mr Gatto has not been charged.

Kallipolitis and Mr Venditti allegedly had a falling-out over a South Melbourne car yard.

"If you want to play with my life . . . OK let's play. War it is," Kallipolitis allegedly said in a text message.

Two weeks later his body was found at his parents' Sunshine home. He had been shot five times.

The prosecution opposed bail for Mr Venditti, telling the court he had been jailed in 2005 for attempting to pervert the course of justice after trying to bribe police.

He was suspected of making money from drugs and had twice been convicted of possessing them, the court heard.

Sen-Det Bell said Mr Venditti had no legitimate source of income and $800,000 in debts. Despite this, he was recorded talking about using a human growth hormone to look like Sly Stallone - at $1500 a week.

Sen-Det Bell said it was feared Mr Venditti, 43, could flee or pose a threat to a key witness if bailed.
He said Fabian Quaid, who was arrested in October over a record drug importation in Western Australia, was a long-time associate of Mr Venditti.

Cousins, a confessed drug user, reportedly stayed at Quaid's Sydney home last year before and after travelling to Los Angeles for rehab.

Defence barrister Stephen Shirrefs said the case against his client was doomed as the prosecution could not prove Veniamin killed Kallipolitis, let alone at Mr Venditti's request.

Justice Bernard Bongiorno is due to decide on bail today.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24811568-2862,00.html

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Don't you just love the media, there the biggest crims of all.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
'Just because you are at the ballroom you don't have to dance'

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Ohhh FFS!! Give it a rest you Journo scum! How convenient the story comes out the day after Cousins arrives in Melbourne. Sensationalistic crap! I couldn't give a fat frogs fanny about this crap! ROFLMFAOOO @ 2 journo's being required to write that drivel.
Lets do a six degrees on them and see what we can dig up! Bunch of tools!!   :chuck :chuck :chuck

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade

Will not read it and will not read any of that Barret fools stuff and haven't read any of Eddies whinges either.
Not interested and don't care.

Isn't a second chance just that, why continually try to hang draw and qtr the guy

:santa

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
These idiots had the fingers ready to press send right to the front page of the Herald Sun as soon as his name was read out.

fc.ukin loser barret and his mates
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

Yeah for 12 months while he was in rehab and without an AFL club no talk on any of this underworld thing. As soon as he gets drafted and is in Melbourne ................
Garbage ........ Peter Morris is a police reporter not a sports reporter and his prescence at Ben's first training session was unnecessary as was his line of questioning. His questioning had no place at a footy players first press conference with his new club. :banghead
Absolutely no tact no decorum and today was neither the time nor the place for this.
Ricky Nixon apropriately told this knob where to go. Hopefully we never ever see Peter Morris at Punt Rd again.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
Hopefully we never ever see Peter Morris at Punt Rd again.

Unless he is Russell Morris doing research for his next tune  :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Cousins candid with Tigers on links to drug underworld (Australian)
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 06:18:12 AM »
Ben Cousins candid with Tigers on links to drug underworld
Stephen Rielly | December 18, 2008

RICHMOND knew of at least some of the connections that exist between Ben Cousins and the underworld.

His relationship with John Kizon, one of Perth's more notable identities, is a matter of public record. As is his long-standing association with Fabian Quaid, who was arrested in Sydney in May over a record ecstasy haul in Western Australia.

Last month, only a week before the national draft and just days ahead of a St Kilda board meeting thought then to be critical to his hopes of a return to the game, Cousins flew to Melbourne to attend the funeral of convicted drug trafficker, John Giannarelli.

Moreover, to each of the clubs that asked, Cousins was prepared to detail these friendships with a candour that surprised and, on occasion, impressed his inquisitors.

Richmond and others knew, for instance, that Giannarelli, as a recovering addict himself, had been Cousins's mentor in the drug rehabilitation program which has been critical to the 2005 Brownlow medallist's continuing rehabilitation and return to the game.

However, the club wasn't expecting to be confronted with these allegiances within hours of selecting him in Tuesday's pre-season draft.

Only an hour or so after making their call on Cousins, the Tigers were fielding them, being asked about the fact he had just been named in the Victorian Supreme Court as a friend of Angelo Venditti, a man accused of being behind the 2002 gangland killing of Paul Kallipolitis.

According to police, Kizon, Quaid, Cousins and Melbourne underworld identity Mick Gatto all spoke often with Venditti earlier this year, connections established through surveillance focused on the alleged killer since May.

If Richmond did not know what to say, though - and the club declined to comment on Tuesday - Cousins did when he spoke yesterday with great aplomb about his addiction to illicit drugs and the world in which he has moved and moves.

Typically, he made no apologies.

"Part of the last 12 months has been learning about the situations I can put myself in and those that I can't. Throughout this whole process I'm still very early on in my recovery and coming to terms with the changes in my lifestyle," Cousins said.

"Contrary to public opinion and what the press like to say, some of my associations with people that people think are untoward or have caused me to be in this situation, it couldn't be further from the truth.

"I am a drug addict and part of my rehabilitation and the program I'm in is addicts helping other addicts, so it's not like I'm not going to have contact with people that have been in the situation that I have. It's probably quite the opposite that I require, to keep myself on a level playing field."

Cousins said he was unaware of the phone-tapped evidence involving Venditti but scarcely drew back from his association with him. As Cousins told his various footballing suitors, for better or worse there is no distance between friends.

"I know Angelo Vendetti, yeah. I know him reasonably well, along with a number of people in the footy industry," Cousins said.

"My association or friendship or contact with him has been nothing to do of a criminal nature and as far as I'm aware he hasn't been convicted yet but that's not for me to go into.

"I guess it's like six degrees of separation. Through the hard times I've found myself in, people love to link me with other people who have found themselves in hard times.

"What doesn't get reported is the relationships or associations I have with those people have been born out of sincere friendship, a common thread that we've found ourselves in hard times. In a lot of those cases it's been people who have played pretty significant roles in me getting to where I am today."

Which, of course, is now Tigerland, where the club switchboard shutdown yesterday after the membership hotline overloaded the entire network and almost 2000 fans, at 9am, turned up to watch Cousins strut out for the first time in yellow and black.

A moment more other-worldly than an underworld.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24816124-5012432,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
So what if I know fat Ange? - Ben Cousins (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 06:26:13 AM »
So what if I know fat Ange? - Ben Cousins
Michael Warner and Elissa Hunt
December 18, 2008

BEN Cousins has admitted he is friends with an accused underworld killer and says he will continue to associate with drug addicts as part of his recovery.

But the superstar Tiger recruit has declared himself drug free and ready to build a new life in Melbourne.

Cousins trained with his new club for the first time yesterday, saying he wants to leave his troubled past in the past.

The Supreme Court was told this week that Cousins knew accused gangland identity Angelo Venditti, charged with ordering a contract killing on Paul Kallipolitis in Sunshine in 2002.

Cousins, 30, yesterday admitted the friendship.

"I know Angelo Venditti, yeah. I know him reasonably well. My association or friendship or contact with him has been nothing to do with anything of a criminal nature and as far as I'm aware, I don't think he's been convicted yet. But that's not for me to go into.

"What doesn't get reported is a lot of those relationships and associations that I have with those people have been borne out of sincere friendship and a common thread that we have found ourselves in hard times.

"In a lot of those cases they have been people that have played pretty significant roles in me getting to where I am today."

Mr Venditti, also known as "Fat Ange", was yesterday freed on bail with a $400,000 surety. He did not speak as he walked from the Supreme Court and stepped into a waiting black Mercedes-Benz.

Justice Bernard Bongiorno said the case against Mr Venditti was "certainly not strong".

Another Cousins friend appeared in a Perth court yesterday over one of Australia's biggest ecstasy busts.

Fabian Quaid, 31, is among four men facing charges linked to the 45kg haul.

He was arrested on May 19 at his apartment in the Sydney suburb of Manly, where Cousins reportedly stayed last year on his return from Los Angeles, after receiving treatment for drug addiction.

Mr Quaid appeared in court via video link from prison. The hearing was adjourned until February.

Cousins, who was given a hero's welcome by about 2000 fans at the Punt Rd Oval, refused to declare when he had last used drugs, but said his rehabilitation was progressing well.

"I'm clean. (But) I'm still probably very early on in my recovery and in coming to terms with the changes in my lifestyle," he said.

"I'm really proud of the time and the effort I've put into my rehabilitation.

"I feel more confident now than I ever have that I can contribute both on and off the field and lead a normal lifestyle whilst trying to get the best out of myself without using drugs.

"In the early part of my career I resented the fact people expected me to be a role model. I was living a bit of a double life."

Cousins, who was handed an AFL lifeline by the Tigers in Tuesday's pre-season draft, said his rehabilitation required continued association with other drug addicts.

"I am a drug addict," Cousins conceded.

"Part of my rehabilitation and the program I am in is addicts helping other addicts.

"That's the contact that I require to keep myself on a level playing field."

About 2000 fans packed the Punt Rd Oval yesterday for Cousins' debut training session with his Tiger teammates.

Passing cars and trucks tooted horns and even pulled on to the Punt Rd median strip in a bid to catch a glimpse of the prize recruit.

"This is the craziest day in Punt Rd history," said Glenn North, of Cheltenham.

"The ground is as packed as I've ever seen it and it's all for one man. Now it's up to him to make a new start."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24816157-661,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
St Kilda ruckman Michael Gardiner linked to Angelo Venditti
Michael Warner | December 24, 2008

A SECOND AFL star has been linked to accused gangland killer Angelo Venditti.

The Herald Sun can reveal St Kilda ruckman Michael Gardiner was recently observed by police drinking with Mr Venditti at a suburban pub.

Mr Venditti, 43, also known as "Fat Ange", was freed on bail with a $400,000 surety last Wednesday.

St Kilda last night admitted Gardiner was "a mate" of Mr Venditti, who is charged with ordering a contract killing on drug dealer Paul Kallipolitis in Sunshine in 2002.

"We've known that for a bit of time," Saints spokesman Alistair Hogg said.

In a Supreme Court hearing last week, police revealed Mr Venditti was a friend of Gardiner's former West Coast Eagles teammate Ben Cousins.

Mr Venditti was also connected to gangland figures Mick Gatto and John Kizon.

Gardiner could not be contacted last night.

But Mr Hogg said the club was not concerned about his association with Mr Venditti.

"We are aware that they are mates. But what Michael does in his private time, as long as it's not affecting the club, is really not our concern," he said.

"We don't really think it's much of a story, to be honest.

"I know the football department is very much aware of who Michael's friends are."

Cousins's manager, Ricky Nixon, last week said Mr Venditti was well-known in football and was a regular face around the St Kilda Football Club in the 1980s and '90s.

In 2005, Gardiner and Cousins - then West Coast teammates - were quizzed by police over a violent nightclub showdown involving Kizon, an associate of slain standover man Alphonse Gangitano.

Police wanted to know about telephone calls made to a member of the Coffin Cheaters bikie gang.

Cousins, who spoke of his drug addiction when drafted by Richmond last week, admitted a friendship with Mr Venditti. "I know Angelo Venditti, yeah," he said.

"I know him reasonably well. My association or friendship or contact with him has been nothing to do with anything of a criminal nature . . ."

Gardiner, 29, has played nine games at the Saints in two seasons since being axed by the Eagles in 2006.

St Kilda was close to recruiting Cousins in this year's national draft but changed its mind at the last minute.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24838925-19742,00.html

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
no suprise here  gardi and cuz where mates in the west
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
St Kilda ruckman Michael Gardiner linked to Angelo Venditti
Michael Warner | December 24, 2008

A SECOND AFL star has been linked to accused gangland killer Angelo Venditti.

The Herald Sun can reveal St Kilda ruckman Michael Gardiner was recently observed by police drinking with Mr Venditti at a suburban pub.

Gardiner a STAR ... what the :rollin

"We are aware that they are mates. But what Michael does in his private time, as long as it's not affecting the club, is really not our concern," he said.

"We don't really think it's much of a story, to be honest.

Could you imagine the media's reacton if the RFC had said that regarding Benny ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)