Author Topic: The Tigers' last 5 drafts, as a team  (Read 3532 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Tigers' last 5 drafts, as a team
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:54:35 AM »
A team from the past 5 drafts 2004-2008. Whatever happens to Wallace next year this will be the recruiting legacy of his 5 year contract. Not bad...

FB: Luke McGuane, Will Thursfield, Jake King

HB: Daniel Connors, Alex Rance, Jordan McMahon

C: Richard Tambling, Ben Cousins, Dean Polo

HF: Matthew White, Cleve Hughes, Mitch Morton

FF: Shane Edwards, Jack Riewoldt, Tyrone Vickery

Foll: Troy Simmonds, Brett Deledio, Trent Cotchin

Int: Adam Pattison, Angus Graham, Adam Thomson, Tom Hislop

Emg: Dean Putt, Andrew Collins, Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, Jayden Post, Robin Nahas, David Gourdis, Andrew Browne, Alroy Gilligan, Jarryd Silvester, Graham Polak

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
Re: The Tigers' last 5 drafts, as a team
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 02:42:28 AM »
Yep, its a start ... still not a consistent top 4 side IMHO.

Plenty of work & development to do in the next few years when the ND is compromised to build a premiership side.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 11:37:14 AM »
to me, the question for Richmond in '09, is should Terry Wallace have his contract extended a year or two?

:)

yes or no?

if we don't make the finals, then he will be looking like he is gone,

if we make the finals, but only play in week 1 and lose, he could be gone,

i think he should get another year!

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 07:04:27 PM »
to me, the question for Richmond in '09, is should Terry Wallace have his contract extended a year or two?

yes or no?

I have never understood the strategy on renewal of his contract. We still have a reputation - despite having 2 coaches in 10 years. To deflect the media in this critical year - for the club, not just TW - a one year extension would be fair. If we miss out on the finals then pay him out, pre determine that figure to Wallace.  A 200k payout so we manage the message and not the media to me is a small price to pay and avoids untold speculation. Collingwood do it with Malthouse and the Saints just did it with Ross Lyon.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:04:43 PM »

yes or no?

he should get another year ONLY if we make the finals.

i dont care if we last one week then lose. I just want to make the finals FFS.

Simple equation. Finals= Contract extension for maybe another year at least
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »
No way will he only get one year if we make the finals.
It will definitely be 2-3 years

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 04:39:00 AM »
That side has 12 young talls. Seemingly Wallace learning his lesson from his time at the Dogs.

No way will he only get one year if we make the finals.
It will definitely be 2-3 years
Agree. If the RFC only offered Plough a one year contract if we were to make the finals it would be a sign that we don't really think Wallace is the coach to take us to the next level and we're hedging our bets.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
If he makes the finals in 2009 he gets a 2 year contract. If he misses the finals its all over imho.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »
The decision on Wallace will be made in July well before we know for certain that we are finals bound or how we actually perform in the finals

Cant leave it any longer if we want to get the next best coach on the market.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 11:46:11 AM »
The decision on Wallace will be made in July well before we know for certain that we are finals bound or how we actually perform in the finals

Cant leave it any longer if we want to get the next best coach on the market.

And the bummer thing about that is that we have a hard start to the season, the first six games particularily.

If the draw was in reverse order rather than how it panned out, you would think TW's job would be practically guarenteed barring a disaster.

Oh well nothing brings out the best like incentive.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »
That team reaks of class and potental IMHO. The best thing is about that group is that the majority of them are already playing for the main team and not just developing in the 2s. Collingwood, Hawthorn etc have a young list but their weekly AFL teams are predominately older players 24+. The Tigers on the other hand have a very young AFL team topped up with some older 'stalwarts' like Richo. This is what TW was determined to do from the moment he arrived - bring through a group of talented players all through at the same time. I think he has succeeded.

Regardless of what you think of the man personally, TW has fufilled his end of the bargin and rebuilt our list to a point that we are now ready to challege the 8 with a team perdominately made up of players 23/24 years old or younger. This is the exciting fact - we have to get better overt he next few years.

If we have a bad year in 2009 due to injuries, the draw, luck etc then it will be an anomoly (sp?) rather than a true indication of the progress of the list.

I believe if TW is moved on the next coach will be given a dream run. They will seem like they are a supercoach but the truth will be they are reaping the rewards on TW and the recruiters hard work.

Therefore I think TW should be given another 2 years regardless of our performance this year. Yes the finals must be a goal but how can you make a decision on how he has gone and coaches unless you allow him to work with a team of 23 - 27 year olds? If he fails it that period then he deserves everything he gets but I don't think you can fairly judge TW on one bad year with a group of young, developing and unconsistent players can you??

Stripes

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have been reading this forum for a while now and i really enjoy the topics and the input from everyone, but have never actually writen anything, but reading this topic last night, made me think and i just cannot hold my tongue anymore. IMO TW should not get anymore time at our club if we do not make the finals in 09. Five years is more than enough time to get a side up and into finals. And as for that side that was picked, i think it may be a little premature to be congratulating TW for. It has

1. 7 recycled players that we have traded away trade picks for.
2. 13 players that have never even played a game for Richmond.
3. a number 1 draft pick (LIDS) that picked himself in that draft. (and a genuine superstar)
4. a number 8 draft pick (JON) that has played 9 games in three years.
5. a number 2 draft pick (Cotchin), that if we had not been cheated that year, he probably would not be at our club.
6. a number 4 draft pick (Tambling) that has not come on the way some of the others have in that draft.

I'm not trying to be negative but before i give TW a pat on the back for his recruiting just remember the only reason we have 8 first round draft picks and 2 or 3 second round draft picks in the last 4 years is because we have been so bad for so long.
Anyway i just hope we can make finals and put a smile on all our faces.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 07:00:53 PM »
great 1st post and great post overall
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
5. a number 2 draft pick (Cotchin), that if we had not been cheated that year, he probably would not be at our club.

hi big tone and welcome to OER

On the above point I have to disagree, having listened to the recruiters on this topic I have no doubt we would have taken Cotchin over Kruezner (sp?) if we had the number 1 pick in 2007. I believe we rated Cotchin ahead of Kruezner
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »
Hi WP,

It's very easy for these recruiters to say after the draft who they would have chosen, but at the time Kruz was without doubt
the outright favourite to go number 1 by most, if not all clubs. That fact that we so desperately needed a ruckmen to help Simo (like we still do) and the fact that we had struggled so badly when Simo was injured, i think that we would have had to have taken Kruz. Also i think in the backs of their minds they would have been thinking they didn't want to make the same mistake they had made in the '04 draft and taken a small on-baller over a big strong KKP/Ruck and the out and out favourite number 1 draft pick.
So that brings me to a question for you, IF Rich had have fallen through to us at pick 8, would we have taken him or still gone with Vickery to suit our needs??

Cheers