Author Topic: Can Cuz still cut it?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Can Cuz still cut it?
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:58:22 PM »
This article isn't on the web so I typed it out....

CAN CUZ STILL CUT IT?
By Rod Nicholson | Sunday Herald-Sun | 21 Dec 2008, Page S11

SHOULD Ben Cousins line up against old mate Chris Judd in the AFL season opener between Richmond and Carlton on Easter Thursday, he will not have played in a football match for 80 weeks.

That is how long it is since Cousins tore the hamstring off the bone in West Coast's 2007 qualifying final loss to Collingwood.

So while numerous questions hover around the 2005 Brownlow medallist, whose career has been stifled by drug addiction, the most crucial question, and the one that has been largely overlooked, is this: Will he have an impact as a player?

Cousins, who has played seven AFL matches in two years, will be three months shy of his 31st birthday come the first bounce of the ball, with a recent history of hamstring problems.

Leading sports medico Peter Larkins said Cousins would find it harder to return to the game at his age and with such soft-tissue concerns.

"The game has intensified in the past two years and being in the midfield, the hot spot, will affect him," Larkins said.

"He will find the pace of the game will have a fatigue factor on him like never before, and he will be shocked by the collisions which are part of the game that his body has missed for so long. And, importantly for Ben, he thrives on explosive pace - which can put soft tissue weaknesses to the test.

"The game today is far more physically demanding, especially for a 30-year-old who hasn't played for so long and who has a history of soft tissue problems (hamstring). It's a fact that older players have more soft tissue injuries, so he needs to be careful."

Cousins's veteran status and time away from top-level training - and obvious lack of match hardness - is understood to have been a major factor in Collingwood's reluctance to draft him.

The Magpies were unable to think of any running player to return to the AFL after such a lengthy absence, and at such an age.

Their first-hand experience of the repeated struggles of former captain Nathan Buckley with his hamstrings after he passed 30 was compelling.

Buckley was a player of similar athletic ability who was dedicated to fastidious preparation and rehabilitation, yet even he could not beat the odds.

As recently as August, Collingwood is understood to have received information that Cousins suffered a recurrence of the hamstring injury, which slowed his training under the tutelage of family friend Murray Couper, a former WAFL player with Perth.

Another worrying factor for Richmond is how air-travel might affect Cousins's body. Travelling every two weeks can take a toll on those with hamstring ailments.

Cousins has played 238 games in 12 seasons, and would have had two-to-four hour flights before and after about half of those matches. Many of the Eagles players have retired in their early 30s, and the club is yet to produce a 300-game player.

Both factors are often attributed to the taxing demands of constant air travel on players' bodies.
Cousins accepts the odds are stacked against him.

"I understand I'm 30 and I've had 12 months off, but in the time I've been away from the game I've put a lot of time and work into my body," he said.

"I think I can get back to somewhere near my best. The game never stops changing, it's a cut-throat industry and I'm up against it, but I'm confident I can make a healthy contribution."

Coach Terry Wallace expects to ease Cousins into full training and did not guarantee him an immediate return at AFL level.

"From a fitness aspect, we know that he has kept himself in good shape," Wallace said.

"From a football sense we have to ease him into the early part of our training regime because our guys have been up and running for a couple of months.

"Whether he starts playing with Coburg, whether he starts playing at AFL level, that will be up to Ben and how he conducts himself at our football club."

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Can Cuz still cut it?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »
Thanks for typing all of these non-web articles.  :)

You really need a secretary.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:38:14 PM »
LOL - Isn't that setchetree  :rollin

:santa

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »
Thanks for typing all of these non-web articles.  :)

You really need a secretary.

Betty? Mr Kelly would be most annoyed if he knew that you were headhunting his staff!!! ;)
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:16:54 PM »
I would have thought if anything that 18 months away from the game would have allowed his body to fully recouperate
Not like senior listed players who often play under duress or far less than 100% to "manage" getting through the full season.
Let's hope this is the case anyway

Worst case we can get him some of those chicken head, calf blood and eye of newt injections like Cogs got.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:50:19 AM »
Worst case we can get him some of those chicken head, calf blood and eye of newt injections like Cogs got.
Yep there's always the Dr. Deutschland option.

I'm not sure why the article is making a comparison between Cuz and Bucks. Bucks won his Brownlow at 31 y.o. which is what Cuz will be next year. It wasnt until Bucks was 33/34 that the hammies went.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:18:35 AM »
Yep there's always the Dr. Deutschland option.

I'm not sure why the article is making a comparison between Cuz and Bucks. Bucks won his Brownlow at 31 y.o. which is what Cuz will be next year. It wasnt until Bucks was 33/34 that the hammies went.
Shouldn't need to go to Germany anymore, pretty sure one of our trainers went with Cogs to learn about the treatment

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »
I think the difference also is that Cousins has kept up his training and so has an excellent fitness base to build upon. All the discussion about match-fitness and contract training is meaningless compared to your core strength and conditioning which by all reports Cousins still possesses. Cousins still needs to obviously polish up on his elite skills and burst speed but even watching him at training he was very smooth by hand and foot and sprinted well with Richo.

He will come out firing in 2009 - he has incredible motivation and determination to succeed now and the Tigers will have his unwavering loyalty.

Forget the doomsayers and bitter opposition supporters and 'neutral' media reporters, Cousins has every chance of being a great player next year for us!!!

Stripes

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 04:39:41 PM »
Also Browny's fitness will be a key. Brown and Cousins rotating midfield and forward pocket will be interesting and a nightmare for opposition to match up on. Then extend that and add Edwards (or even Johnson or Bowden) into a three way rotation using the bench.

All the time while Lids Cotchin Foley Connors White are rotating

and Tuck Cogs Thomson/Hislop

We have multiple options for once

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »
I think Cuz can ... managing him is the key I would think after nearly 2 years out of footy
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 12:34:05 AM »
Don't agree with any of the rubbish being feed us by the press. If cousins is fit (aerobic) cousins will play fullstop.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.