Author Topic: Zantuck wants out...Ottens should get less  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
Zantuck wants out...Ottens should get less
« on: September 15, 2004, 12:14:36 AM »
Zantuck wants out, Ottens asked to take cut
By Jake Niall, Caroline Wilson
September 15, 2004

Richmond defender Ty Zantuck is set to join the player exodus at Punt Road, having asked the Tigers to trade him to another club.

Richmond football director Greg Miller confirmed yesterday that Zantuck, 22, had told the club of his wish to be traded. "Ty's said, 'I don't think I can continue here. I've burnt a few bridges,' " Miller said.

And while Zantuck is looking to leave the club, the Tigers are understood to have instructed Brad Ottens' management that the star young ruckman/forward must take a significant pay cut if he wants to remain next season.

Having already achieved a significant pay cut commitment from former all-Australian defender Darren Gaspar, Miller has made it clear that the club wants to retain the out-of-contract Ottens, 24, but would not do so at his current price of an estimated annual $400,000. At least two other Richmond players will be asked to take pay cuts.

"We know Brad's keen to stay at the club and we want him to stay," said Miller. Of Gaspar, who has altered the final two years of a $2.5 million five-year deal, Miller said: "Darren's an outstanding person and an outstanding player and it's important he be remembered that way."

Fortunately for the Tigers, Zantuck is contracted for 2005 and can only be traded with the club's consent, which is highly likely given the player's wish for a fresh beginning at another club.

"There's been a bit of interest from a couple of clubs," Miller said of Zantuck, who played 14 games this season for a total of 68 in five seasons.

Melbourne, the club at which Zantuck's father Shane played the majority of his 149 games, has expressed some interest in acquiring Zantuck, although it is unclear what he would attract in a trade. In his five years at Tigerland, Zantuck showed versatility and volatility in equal measure.

While he stands just 188 centimetres, Richmond's key defensive holes forced him to play as a key defender on much taller and heavier opponents this year. The Tigers also played him as a marking forward with mixed results. His speed and competitive spirit are considered his major on-field assets.

His time at Richmond was also blighted by off-field indiscretions. He was sidelined for weeks during the pre-season last year after receiving a broken cheekbone at a nightclub.

He was also dropped after being caught up in an incident outside a nightclub in May and for failing to attend a football clinic the next morning.

Miller, meanwhile, said the club was interested in Melbourne midfielder Scott Thompson, who has asked for a trade to Adelaide or Port Adelaide.
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

froars

Re: Zantuck wants out...Ottens should get less
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 12:18:45 AM »
I would have liked to get Zantuck after he'd been at another club and burnt his bridges there.
I think he will do well at another club, and has matured a bit.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 03:47:49 AM »
Although it may cost us a player or two, I'm glad the days of overvaluing and overpaying our players just to keep them are gone. I'm still hoping despite what some people tell me  ;D that Otto stays albeit agreeing to a lesser amount. Wishful thinking maybe  :-\. His output does not warrant $400K/year if that's correct but he has the talent and is at the age for a big bloke to blossom under a top coach.

I'd reckon Sheedy might be tempted to pick up Ty although there's no one at the bombers that would be up for trade that we would want. Sheeds might see him as another Barnard type who'll create a mismatch and throw his weight around. Also at another club he won't be played as a fill-in KP defender.

I would stay away from Thomson. If he can't be traded to SA then he only wants a one year deal so he can go to SA in 2006. A waste of a trade or PSD pick IMHO.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 04:10:52 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 06:03:16 AM »
you will find Zantuck to windy hill ;)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 08:30:54 AM »
What happened to the Zantuck-Travis Johnstone rumour flying around a while back Jackstar?

I say good riddance to him anyway. Im glad he asked for a transfer, makes it less awkward and Im glad that the club appears to be making the right steps by asking Gas and Otto to take pay cuts......Crunch time for Otto....time to choose what you do.

Zantuck to Essendon....what do Essendon have that appeals to me? Not all that much suprisingly.....Pity Heffernan aint there no more.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 11:37:51 AM »
I like the idea of zantuck for Gilbee.  Fair swap IMO.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Jackstar

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 01:07:34 PM »
What was the rumour involving Johnson ? Didnt hear that one, all I said that Zantuck wanted out a few weeks ago, Bomber bound if he gets his way. His new clothes shop is just a stone throw from windy hill, good clothes too

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 01:30:02 PM »
Funny that its "Zantuck wants out".......

Should really read "Richmond dont want Zantuck"

when Ty walked into Millers office asking for a re-location Greg's smile would have been so bright that its lucky Ty wore his sunnies during the meeting.

One less worry Miller will have to make

So long Ty thanks for nothing!
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 04:25:44 PM »

I can see Sheedy turning Zantuck into another Barnard type.