Author Topic: home page keeps changing  (Read 1834 times)

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
home page keeps changing
« on: January 09, 2009, 07:47:16 PM »
 :banghead :banghead

Tiga  maybe one up your alley   my son has started a Hotmail live acct and the home page (was OER) always reverts back to MSN after he has been to his hotmail live  i know how to change back to OER but why does it revert back to msn again after the visit to h/m live?  any one with an answer   :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

and no hes not getting his own computor untill he can afford for himself 
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: home page keeps changing
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »
tiga is the man to ask but in the meantime this may offer some suggestions 632.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_get_rid_of_msn_as_my_home_page.html

There are a few reasons for this. The first is that you have selected your home page with a link rather than within your software. Most people who do this within their browser settings can have fewer problems. We would know more about your problem if we knew what browser you were using, whether you are using MSN software, etc. The MSN software, for example, may have a hidden setting that "hijacks" your homepage.

In Firefox (or Mozilla or Netscape), go to your desired homepage and select Tools --> Options --> General. Then select "use current page."

In IE, it is very similar. Go to your desired homepage, select Tools --> Internet Options --> General. Select "use current page."

If this does not solve your problem, then what you might have is a more complicated issue that involves spyware or the MSN software itself. Many spyware programs have scripts that hijack your homepage to something that they want. The puzzling thing is that you don't generally see a piece of software hijacking to the MSN site. That's why it may be an MSN setting. When possible, I set up my internet connections to work independent of the branded software; in most cases, the branded software is full of bloated settings that can do things like take your homepage. I am not familiar enough with the MSN software to say. If you are on a dialup connection, you could simply look up your phone number and create a dialup connection that works by itself. You can do this by going into your control panel, selecting network connections, and selecting "create a new connection." There is a wizard that will walk you through this process.

If it is spyware then run your anti-spyware, anti-adware and antivirus program(s).

-------------------

I have been having the same problem for some time now and recently fixed it. It was a simple fix as it turns out. IE7 would not allow me to change my home page from this redirect:
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&clcid=0x4098&pver=6.0&ar=home
I felt it was probably Norton Internet Security that was actually causing the problem, but couldn't find the right location in Norton to fix it. The answer is actually in the Norton Antivirus options. Get there from the Options menu on the main Norton security window, then select Antivirus and the options window will appear. ON the left you will see Home Page options. Select and pick the correct option on the left. Very simple fix. My home page is now whatever i want it to be. I hope this helps someone with a similar issue. I've read many posts from those with similar issues, i just never found this solution. It was a "forest for the trees" issue.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:19:31 PM »
632, what browser are you using and are you on Vista or XP? As a rule, nothing should change within your browser config without your permission. If it does, then you have a security issue of some sort. You can try a couple of things....

If you are running IE switch to firefox and see if the problem persists.

check your browser security settings and if need be, ramp them up a bit.

You may have some dodgy cookies. You can remove cookies but be aware that some cookies may have info in them you may need to access certain sites.

Here is a link that may be of some help. It refers to Browsers crashing with hotmail live instead of your particular issue, but there are some useful troubleshooting steps detailed.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaie/thread/b05ccf22-5847-4ce3-a619-e1b6335b6698/

Hope that helps.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 07:48:52 PM »
  Thanks folks  all sorted now  went into programmes and uninstalled Windows live and now its all good, so must have been an auto changer in the program installer  cheecky buggers  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench