Author Topic: Andrew Raines  (Read 3396 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Andrew Raines
« on: January 12, 2009, 05:40:19 PM »
Raines parts from clouds of '08
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Mon 12 January, 2009

IN TERMS of his career, Richmond defender Andrew Raines was flying.

Two seasons without missing a game had been followed by a great pre-season where he completed every session and was as fit as he’d ever been.

But then disaster struck, and in a flash his campaign was over.

In round two last year, the Tigers fell to North Melbourne by 41 points and were dealt an extra blow when Raines dislocated his kneecap.

"The most disappointing thing was that I was up and running, I’d had the best pre-season I’d ever had, I was in pretty good shape and then in round two the kneecap slides off the side of your leg and stuffed the whole year up," he told richmondfc.com.au.

"I didn’t think it was that serious at first, I thought it would be a three or four-week injury, and it ended up being 10.

"And then the more time you miss out, then you see the effect it has on the other parts of your body and I just went downhill from there.

"It’s very disappointing, but it makes you hungrier and makes you more determined to have a big year this year."

As one of the older players in the young brigade – 22 and with 53 games under his belt – Raines still sounds beyond his years when assessing the Tigers' 2008 season.

"I was very pleased and very proud of the boys," he said. "We didn’t quite get there – we finished in ninth again – so we didn’t get to the finals, which I was hoping to get back for but I was really happy with the boys.

"We’ve got a good crew together. I’m 22 and I’m one of the older young blokes and, if we all get to 25 or 26 years of age as a group, when we’re in our prime, then there’s some good times ahead.

"You can see what’s happened down at Geelong when that happens.

"We’re going somewhere as a group."

Coach Terry Wallace said that although Raines doesn't have the natural ability of some of his teammates, his intensity and resolve were clear strengths.

"He just had a horrific season, the kid just didn’t have an opportunity to get on the park," Wallace said.

"After the kneecap he lost a bit of size and shape to the leg, and so then he did a hammy and then did a thigh, so he had a wipe-off year.

"He started his pre-season back in August and he’s as fit as a mallee bull and pretty damned determined.

"To be honest, that’s how he needs to play. It is that attack on the footy, the intensity levels that he plays with and the real competitive nature that he plays with, that allows him to be a good player for us.

"I’m just very pleased to have him back, because he’s another number that puts pressure on everyone else."

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=71232
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:42:10 AM by one-eyed »

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Raines parts from clouds of '08 (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
Make or break season for Rainsey. Has to do alot to get back up the pecking order and be considered for selection. Could be trade bait for the GC17.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:45:52 AM »
Interesting to see how he goes.

More pressure on his spot now than a season ago..

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:02:54 AM »
His intensity and attack on the footy is unquestionable. What he does with it once he gets it...well that's another matter.
If his decision making and disposal skills have improved then he will be an asset for us this year. If not, then he will be making up the numbers at Coburg and probably traded or delisted at the end of his contract. He does have the same attack on the footy as his Dad did but Geoff knew how to dispose of the footy well.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
The AFL site has a poll asking if Rainesy is still in our best 22?

So far (51 votes):

Yes - 61%
No - 39%

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »
If there was a category for just hanging in by his nuts then I would have selected that one

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 07:08:55 PM »
I thought Raines showed pretty good signs in Round 1 against Carlton
Obviously Round 2 was a write off
Happy to give him a chance, but at his age he has to start delivering or he'll be first in line to get the chop

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Andrew Raines
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 11:43:45 AM »
How did we all think Rainesy went last night in his first game back since his 2008 was written off by injury?

Ramps

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 11:51:12 AM »
Attack on the footy is excellent but his determination to run through everything in his way harms his performance, he needs to get some composure and instead of always trying to run through brick walls, he needs to look for an option and pass of the footy.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:46:19 PM »
he needs to get some composure and instead of always trying to run through brick walls, he needs to look for an option and pass of the footy.

Yep, or get some verve and swerve

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 08:25:20 PM »
Attack on the footy is excellent but his determination to run through everything in his way harms his performance, he needs to get some composure and instead of always trying to run through brick walls, he needs to look for an option and pass of the footy.

Absolutely spot on Ramps

Agree 200%
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »
27 possies at 93% efficiency. Agree with Ramps' sentiments but a much improved performance from Geoff's boy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 08:54:35 PM »
27 possies at 93% efficiency. Agree with Ramps' sentiments but a much improved performance from Geoff's boy.
wow  thats surprising  I wouldnt of picked that from being at the game   hope fully the start to a huge year for young rainesy  would be a good pickup in the dreamteam if he continues on with that form
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

richmondrules

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 09:11:04 PM »
I didn't think he put a foot wrong all night.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »
I didn't think he put a foot wrong all night.

I thought he got pinged a few to many times when he tried to "take them on" - his movement is pretty predictable, hence why (as I've said b4) teams have him worked out. the know which way he will go when he trys to baulk.

A couple of times the first option would have been better than trying to break the lines
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)