Author Topic: Damir says 'sorry' (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5743 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Damir says 'sorry' (Herald-Sun)
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:50:27 AM »
Stay far away Jelena. Read the last few lines - he's still in denial ::).

-----------------------------------------
'It is my biggest, biggest mistake': Damir
David Hastie and David Murray | January 25, 2009

EXCLUSIVE: DAMIR Dokic has apologised for derailing his daughter's life and spurning Australia at the height of her career.

The shamed father of reborn Aussie tennis golden girl Jelena Dokic has offered an olive branch to his daughter and the Australian public by finally saying sorry for years of outrageous public behaviour.

Dokic's return to the top of world sport is set to continue today at Melbourne Park in the fourth round of the Australian Open against 29th seed Russian Alisa Kleybanova.

Her father spoke exclusively to the Sunday Herald Sun from his Serbian home about his guilt over his daughter.

Mr Dokic said his biggest mistake was forcing Jelena to turn her back on Australia in 2001 and change allegiances to Serbia and Montenegro.

Mr Dokic said he would welcome his daughter back to Serbia if she wished to return, but admitted Australia was the best place to resurrect her career.

Mr Dokic said his attack on Australian Open organisers in 2001 over an allegedly biased draw against his daughter was wrong.

"Do you remember 2001, when I change (sic) for Jelena when she play for Australia?" Mr Dokic said. "It is my biggest, biggest mistake.

"In 2001, Australian Open, the draw for Jelena is very bad. They do nothing for her.

"I get very angry, very angry and I change play, stop play for Australia and change (to Serbia).

"But now I think it is my biggest mistake."

When asked if he still loved his daughter and missed her, he said: "Of course."

Mr Dokic said he hoped to one day reunite with his daughter.

"Of course, if she call me, I will be coach with her," he said. "But I get to Serbia seven years ago, now I am 50.

"You have good life in your country. I think it is good for her. It is a very strong country. Australia can help for everything. If she stay and play for Australia, better for her."

Serbian-Australian Dokic, 25, revealed she had been fighting depression as a result of the split with her father, which effectively alienated her from mother, Liliana, and younger brother, Savo.

She turned her back on her father after a number of unsavory public incidents including his infamous spat over the size and price of a $21.80 dish of salmon in the US Open players' lounge in 2000.

Mr Dokic said he was upset to learn of his daughter's depression, but insisted it was her decision to turn her back on him.

"'She became depressed when she saw what she had done," he said.

"When she left home everything started to go bad for her.

"She started losing tournament after tournament and she was panicking. Of course she was depressed, but not because of me.

'She became the fourth-best player in the world because of me."
    ::)

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24958989-661,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

bushranger

Re: Damir says 'sorry' (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:29:19 AM »
He is only sorry cause his meal ticket is starting tomake more money again. It is a smiple as than.
The one and only thing he wants from Jeleana is money. His might care for her but the money is what he is after.
So lets hope she tells him to keep away. And lets hope he never enters our borders again,
She need to be left alone.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »
He is only sorry cause his meal ticket is starting tomake more money again. It is a smiple as than.
The one and only thing he wants from Jeleana is money. His might care for her but the money is what he is after.
So lets hope she tells him to keep away. And lets hope he never enters our borders again,
She need to be left alone.
Going by the article he wants to stay over there so good news for Australia  :yep. You're right bushy about the meal ticket. If he really cared about Jelena he wouldn't have come out publicly in the middle of the Oz Open when Jelena is now winning matches. 

bushranger

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 06:16:12 PM »
Yer that was the point that got me. He only want her in his control as she is winning again.
I hope for here she keeps well away from him. She seem to have a good close group with her now.
And that is all she needs.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 06:19:32 PM »
Then on the flip side, the media wouldn't be chasing him for a comment if she was still failing.
Agree he is most probably missing his meal ticket all the same.

I came accross Jelana a couple of times when she first got back to Oz 'The Tan track' she was looking pretty plump and was certainly not getting any attention then, couple of wins oz open media hype and she's Aussies dream girl again lolrofl

Good luck to her anyway, we need someone to cheer on seeing the ozzie stocks are pretty poor these days.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 11:25:42 PM »
LOL yep she is the little Aussie darling again in the eyes of the media and public but most of the dislike towards her in the past was caused by her psycho father.

Gutsy win tonight by Jelena. The Russian girl played well.

bushranger

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:11:12 AM »
LOL yep she is the little Aussie darling again in the eyes of the media and public but most of the dislike towards her in the past was caused by her psycho father.

Gutsy win tonight by Jelena. The Russian girl played well.
That is what I thought to and Jellena had to wear it cause of her dad.
I was so glad for her to win last night.
Honestly I can't see her going any further now, but I love being wrong.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:00:18 AM »
stuff her and him in my eyes
these idiots who change their naturalization from day to day make me sick.

thats why the world is so messed up cause of the politics.

she lost me when she decided Australia was no good for her.

My old man and Grandparents came here when they 20 and 40 respectively and in every convo i had them with them they always said italy who??

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:33:37 PM »
these idiots who change their naturalization from day to day make me sick.

thats why the world is so messed up cause of the politics.

My old man and Grandparents came here when they 20 and 40 respectively and in every convo i had them with them they always said italy who??

Yeah but I think she was more coerced by her father to turn her back on Australia.  The fact is that she's now come back.  I'd rather her play for Australia than any other country.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »

I can understand what you are saying daniel but it was Damir that forced her and I mean forced her to walk away from Australia...

I honestly don't really think any of us have or had any idea what that lunatic put her through..... and it wasn't just verbal abuse they ar enow saying ....

She is back now and this is where she wants to be I say "good on her" her efforts this past week have been sensational :bow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

bushranger

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »
I totally agree with the last two post. I think she had to do what daddy said.
And now she is away from him it has taken her a while to get back somewhere close to what she was.
I think she is one little brave woman to walk away from an a-hole like her dad.
And I would never say she turned her back on us as a nation, as it was said she was forced to do it.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »
Good game last night - enjoyed it ...

bushranger

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 07:27:24 PM »
I think most of us did as I love the game last night to.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »
Never watched a full game of tennis before the last three of Jelena's, great example of triumphing against the odds even if she doesn't go any further in the Aust Open.

Go you good thing

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 10:13:16 PM »
It's a funny one the tennis, I watch the oz open and enjoy it.
Then don't watch or follow it until it is back again. ???