Author Topic: Tigers are well off the pace  (Read 3671 times)

Jackstar

Tigers are well off the pace
« on: September 17, 2004, 10:58:20 PM »
After watching tonights game between Port and St.Kilda, it just makes you realise how far behind them we really are. The saints on-ballers would slaugher our current on-ballers. and the hardness of Port would make guys like Tivendale , Fiora and co fill there pants !

froars

Re: Tigers are well off the pace
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 10:59:26 PM »
It's frightening actually how far off the mark we are.  How long since we seen our club play that kinda footy - long time.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 11:45:25 PM »
1980 would be the last time we played that sort of footy. We were one scarily good footy side then. On the other hand making PFs in 1995 and 2001 flattered us.

Just goes to show you need your skilled played to be tough and your tough players to be skilled. We simply cannot experience let alone play that type of hard, tough and pressurized 4 quarters of footy. Our pitiful skills wouldn't last under that intensity for 10 minutes let alone a whole game.

Yep we've sadly got a few more years of pain (and high draft picks) to go  :P

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 02:10:01 AM »
It's frightening actually how far off the mark we are.  How long since we seen our club play that kinda footy - long time.

Your absolutely right Froars we are light years out of the frame and MT is probably right too it's probably been more than 20 years since we even come close to that sort of level :help
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 10:14:30 AM »
Thats exactly what I said to myself when the match finished...we are absolutely light years away from being that hard tough and committed.
The recriutment of players during Becks tenure has been one of the catalysts of the massive problem we have.Throw in appaulling trades for chumps,Drug money 5 year deals,and exhorbitant wages to average players and 16th spot is about where we belong. :'(
Frawley and Beck...will either of them ever get a job at this level again??

What an embarrasing joke
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

froars

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 10:35:42 AM »
Add coaches who luv to give hugs and sweet talk the players so they think he's a good bloke.
Enter Wallace  ;D

Bulluss

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 12:22:52 PM »
We may be a fair way off the pace, but how hard can it be for Wallace to get the bunch to play a tougher and more committed brand of footy.

Wallace will demand this of the group, hopefully he can also lift the skill level also. But i would have thought that if any player doesnt want to be harder at it or more committed to the team cause next season then they wont be part of it and Terry will make that VERY clear.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 02:58:50 PM »
You've got to remember though, the Brisbane Lions in 1998 finished on the bottom of the ladder and now 6 years later they've won 3 Premierships with a chance of a fourth.

Ox

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 04:36:33 PM »
Wanganeen is a superstar.

Did u notice how much gusto the Power lads sang their song with.
I know they had good reason to celebrate but they singit like that all year.

A lot can be assesed from the way a team sings a song (not just because im a singer.) :shh

Our lads are soft like butter and have no hootsvah both on field and when singing the song.

Cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 10:20:04 AM »
Have thought we have been off the pace for at least a decade (with the majority of the 80's just being a write off.  Just by watching top teams play a home and away game provides enough indication of how far behind the pace we are and have been.  Finals just ram the point home.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 10:21:47 AM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 11:13:56 AM »
Realistically we are 3-5 years away from that pace IF we do things correctly.  Geelong were a complete shambles before the 2001 draft.  They drafted quality kids and 3 years later these quality kids have physically developed and will challenge for the flag in years to come.  Geelong have 8 current senior players that were all drafted in the 2001 draft, which goes to show that it can turn around quickly via one or two drafts if you have your finger on the recruiting pulse.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 03:22:39 PM »
Realistically we are 3-5 years away from that pace IF we do things correctly.  Geelong were a complete shambles before the 2001 draft.  They drafted quality kids and 3 years later these quality kids have physically developed and will challenge for the flag in years to come.  Geelong have 8 current senior players that were all drafted in the 2001 draft, which goes to show that it can turn around quickly via one or two drafts if you have your finger on the recruiting pulse.

Yeah, but it still concerns me a little that Miller is constantly quoted as saying we can't afford to draft only kids like Geelong did, and must use several picks on proven failures each year in hope they will be worth the $50-60 grand we have to pay them. All paraphrased of course  ;)
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 07:44:55 PM »
1980 would be the last time we played that sort of footy. We were one scarily good footy side then. On the other hand making PFs in 1995 and 2001 flattered us.

Just goes to show you need your skilled played to be tough and your tough players to be skilled. We simply cannot experience let alone play that type of hard, tough and pressurized 4 quarters of footy. Our pitiful skills wouldn't last under that intensity for 10 minutes let alone a whole game.

I thought we did OK in 1995 over the entire season. We didnt have the greatest of lists, but we played tough and gang tackled most games. I still reckon the draw against the bummers during the H&A was one of the best footy games I've seen us play in 20 years.

Offline shawry

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 08:37:00 AM »

I thought we did OK in 1995 over the entire season. We didnt have the greatest of lists, but we played tough and gang tackled most games. I still reckon the draw against the bummers during the H&A was one of the best footy games I've seen us play in 20 years.

Was at that game and oh it was magic.  CAn stil lremember it not ever likely to forget it.  Was Jason Torney's first game and Merenda I think kicked 6 for the magoos.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 12:58:52 PM »
Does anyone remember the 'Stewie kick a goal....they're in front the tiges' line from McAvaney....talk about bringing down the house only for that piece of crap that we have in Coburg kicking the equiliser.

LMAO @ Jurica dribbling in goals from 45metres.

That game, had I seen that piece of poo Wanganeen out in public I would have stuffen kicked the poo through him. prick....

Ahhhh the sad memories...the Dundas spoil, the Bond pass and Judas drilling it from 50 on the angle....
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne