Author Topic: Otto a man in demand  (Read 37517 times)

Ox

Re: Otto a man in demand
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2004, 12:21:06 PM »
LMFAOOOOOOO@me thinking he is overrated and thinking a draft pick and saddington aren't good enough for him.

lmfaoooooooo@this paradox.

The hazards of Anarchy mate ~

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2004, 12:25:16 PM »
I'll post what I have posted earlier today

Tell the swans to stick saddington

We want O'Keefe and their first round pick, if not sell Ottens off to the best offer from anyone else wanting him

450,000 a year? i almost choked on my breakfast............. We should make Ottens pay back atleast 400,000 of that money.

No wonder we are broke with players like Ottens and Gaspar bleeding us dry!!!

and I'm actually loving this I been saying it all year WE DONT NEED BRAD NOTTENS!!! I hope he does go, we will be better off in the long run!
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

RonBranton

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2004, 12:26:51 PM »

wow - you guys/gals are soooooooooooooooo hard.

Hate to be negotiating with you lot - you're scary   :help

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2004, 12:28:45 PM »
Surely he is entitled to take his time in deciding his future? He has stated publicly that he would prefer to stay so let's just give him some time to make a decision - there is a very good chance that he will stay.

Believe me RonB I am not going to bag him - far to early because no decision has been made.

Personally, I want him to stay because of the very reason you state, a bloke his size and agility don't drop from the sky and I also because I honestly believe that with a new coach he has a great chance to improve.

Having said that, I think with Brad saying publicly he wants to stay and now this thing being dragged on longer and longer people are questioning whether he really wants to stay. Call me naive but if you wanted to stay you wouldn't be talking to other parties - even if your management is tapping you on the shoulder saying "look at this look at this". At the end of the day his management must do what he wants.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2004, 12:34:11 PM »
Maybe we are sick of being the easybeats Ronnie.
Get rid of Brad Ottens please.
Even you were telling me about his ruck work, well I am sorry to inform you that his ruck work is crap, No votes in Brownlow proves that. What about contested MARKS.
Brad Ottens is a dreamer, let him go.

froars

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2004, 12:36:22 PM »
wow - you guys/gals are soooooooooooooooo hard.
We're pussycats, Ronnie  :-*

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2004, 12:35:43 PM »
What about contested MARKS.

I haven't got the exact numbers with me but Brad Ottens was running second at Richmond in contested marks before his injury this season (could have finished second behind Richo).

I think he took around 30 contested marks which at the time he was injured was just behind Nick Reiwoldt - who contested marks % against total marks is terrible.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2004, 12:40:36 PM »
Honestly, I cant remember Brad taking a pack mark all year. Can remember Richos many

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2004, 12:53:34 PM »
A lot of angst and anger in this thread.........How come I can always rely on Ox and JohnF to bring that smile to my face with a killer post...... :bow to you guys, farken classic...

Me personally, I aint going to jump any guns but I do feel that he is overated. He was never a ruckman...his performances have been pathetic to say the least.

I take the opinion that if he wants to stay its for less money, otherwise he can leave. Whatever he chooses, I dont personally care....Im not fussed if he leaves and well if he stays for less money we wont hammer for under-performing.

As for the Saddington deal......I would take that in a flash. For the way Otto has performed, and for the release it will provide on the cap, its a fair deal.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2004, 01:20:53 PM »
The offer we have before Otto is fair. If he chooses to leave then so be it but as Ronny B said big men of his quality (and you'll see it under Paul Roos' coaching if he ends up at the Swans) don't grow on trees. We do have some quality players on our list but it's hard to shine when your coaches have NFI and most of your teammates have the skills and decision making of a little leaguer. Our foot skills have the been by far the worst of any VFL/AFL for the past 20 years. For crying out loud we even de-skill many of our good players over time  :help.

Trading Otto isn't going to solve our problems when he is just another case of our Club's inability to develop and get the best out of our players. What confidence is there based on our past recent history that our current crop of young kids and the first rounder draftees we draft this year won't become similar casualities of this Club's "player with potential" tag. Because right now that's all they are - kids with potential. When was the last talented kid we've had that has reached their full potential? I can't remember!

Add to this a playing list that thanks to Frawley and Geischen is made up of mostly flanker types (most not up to AFL standard) and where one injury to our inadequate number of talls destroys any from of structure required to win modern games of footy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2004, 01:33:20 PM »
FWIW I am begging to hope we have ourselves a bidding war boys.

Hopefully the western bullfrorgs acn pass around the hat and get the big dope fired up enough.

Then it will be pick 3 here we come!!!!

Pick 1 3 4

Now thats setting up the club for the next 10 years.

I am gunna have to rename my cat Coggles :banghead

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2004, 02:21:33 PM »
Trading Otto isn't going to solve our problems when he is just another case of our Club's inability to develop and get the best out of our players.

I understand your point MT, but I think it well help our cause.  And the reason why I think we should let him go, if he wants out, has nothing to do with what he is capable of.  We know that, at another Club with a better system in place, any play could do better.

But you have to question Otto’s change of heart, since saying that he wanted to stay at RFC a few months ago to now having himself ‘shopped around’ for a better deal.  Why does he play the game, where’s his motivation?

If he has valid reasons for wanting to go then so be it.  What I can’t get my head around is that Otto’s first season at Richmond was in 1998.  You would think that, in that time, he would have developed some sort of relationship with the Club and teammates.

For whatever reason, whenever these contract renewals come around, some players just seem to forget all about those things that some of us see as important and relevant and chase the money.  If that’s what his motivation for playing footy is then someone else can have him.

And because these players aren’t motivated by the things that drive competitive players and the best players, in a big game, or crunch situation, these sorts of players become of little value to a team.

If he can go to another Club and play better then good luck to him, but from what this situation tells us about Otto, it doesn’t seem to me that he will be of any more value to us than he has been to now.

So, unless Terry Wallace can work some magic with him, we are better off to bring in some more youth into the side.  As cold as it may sound, he can be a bigger help to us by leaving than staying.  Because Miller has shown that, if you know what you are doing, you can draft players who already have the desire and commitment to play and also have a competitive edge to them.

I wanted to believe that Otto could be turned around, but his contract re-negotiation shows that it could be a hard task to do that when he’s driven by money, rather than playing the game and the challenge ahead.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2004, 02:26:29 PM »
Trading Ottens will go a long way into solving our problems

For a start it would be a reminder to anyone joining Richmond that we no longer tolerate non performances or players looking to make a quick buck.

I hope he does go, he has given this club nothing in his time here, so what if he goes to the swans and becomes a star, good for them my patience has run out for under performing half hearted peas.

RonBranton

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2004, 02:53:21 PM »
It's not quite true to say that this has been dragging on for too long. Ottens has been overseas for two weeks and the offer from Richmond was only put to him around three weeks ago. It's also presuming a lot to say that he is chasing the dollar - how does anybody know that?

This is out of his mouth on August 29...

He said he had met new coach Terry Wallace and was keen to end his career as a one-club player.

"Hopefully, we can get it all sorted out as soon as possible," Ottens said.

"I would be rapt to stay in Melbourne and hopefully we can get it all organised as soon as possible and get on with training and thinking about 2005.

"It's my main priority. Staying my whole career at one club is pretty important to me and I'd love to stay a Tiger."

Ottens said he and Wallace had already had a face-to-face discussion.

"I have spoken briefly to Terry and I hadn't had a whole lot to do with him in the past, so it was just good to meet him and see where he thought I was at and get a few of his ideas," Ottens told Triple M.

"He said he can see a bit of improvement in the role that I play and a few changes and I took a lot out of the talk I had with him.

"I spoke to him in person to touch base and see where he saw the club going and the changes and improvements he was going to make was a pretty big benefit for me."

Ottens failed to make an impact this year before an ankle injury brought a premature end to the season and he admitted he needed to lift.

"I would be the first to admit it hasn't been my best year," he said. "I have a lot of work to do in a lot of areas."

Here's a scenario:

Take an 18 year old guy in the national draft, see him make All Australian in his 4th year, offer him a strong contract for the following three years, carry him through two serious injuries in the last two of those, see him average over a goal per game for his whole time with the club as a ruckman, offer him a reduced contract to stay, see him chased by a large number of clubs that are not stupid - and then let him go ?????

As Johny Howard would say........Hello !! - Hello !!

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2004, 02:55:03 PM »

As Johny Howard would say........Hello !! - Hello !!

or as i would say

Goodbye - Goodbye !!!