Author Topic: Otto a man in demand  (Read 37500 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Otto a man in demand
« on: September 18, 2004, 02:01:17 AM »
Ottens a man in demand
18 September 2004   
Herald Sun
Mike Sheahan

ALL things being equal, Terry Wallace will construct the Richmond forward division around the imposing frame of Brad Ottens next year.

The new coach has earmarked Ottens for the goalsquare, with Matthew Richardson, Richmond's leading goalkicker for 10 of the past 11 seasons, to be operate from just inside the 50m arc.

The wily Wayne Campbell would play alongside Ottens, with Nathan Brown and Andrew Krakouer roaming the forward 50 for spoils at ground level.

It's an exciting scenario, but there's one major proviso: the availability of Ottens.

The ruckman-forward is out of contract and up to six clubs are after him.

It is understood Ottens' managers are seriously considering two offers, with Sydney leading the chase ahead of Geelong.

Ottens, 24, has been told his financial arrangements are about to change after three disappointing seasons.

The Tigers's offer is believed to have a significantly reduced guaranteed payment with incentives that would enable him to earn as much as he was paid this year, about $400,000, if he performs to the expected required level.

To date, he has been paid on potential, even allowing injuries, including a major back problem and an ankle he carried for much of the past season.

Richmond needs money spend and room in its salary cap if it is to land an established player such as Fremantle's out-of-contract ruckman-forward Troy Simmonds.

That money will come from the senior group, including Darren Gaspar and Ottens, two of the club's best paid players.

Sydney's general manager of football operations Andrew, Ireland, has confirmed his club's interest in Ottens.

"We've spoken to his management (Elite Sports Properties)," Ireland said last night.

"As (coach) Paul (Roos) has said, we're keen to secure experienced players during the trade period."

The Swans see Ottens as a ruckman who could relieve and then replace Jason Ball, who turns 32 in November.

The Cats see him as a key forward, probably centre half-forward.

Ottens recently had an operation to repair damage to an ankle that has bothered him for most of the season.

He played 18 of 22 games but failed to deliver on expectations. He averaged 13 disposals and five marks and kicked 16 goals.

His best season was 2001 when he kicked 46 goals in 24 games.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10797246%255E19771,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline shawry

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Otto a man in demand
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 02:22:26 AM »
Just keep him!!!!  HE said at hte end of last season did not want to renegotiate as he wanted to wait and see how his form was rather than on potential. Time for him to repay us and stay loyal.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 02:25:48 AM »
The new coach has earmarked Ottens for the goalsquare, with Matthew Richardson, Richmond's leading goalkicker for 10 of the past 11 seasons, to be operate from just inside the 50m arc.

The wily Wayne Campbell would play alongside Ottens, with Nathan Brown and Andrew Krakouer roaming the forward 50 for spoils at ground level.

Finally a coach that realises Richo isn't a FF and Otto is a forward!

I always liked the idea of Cambo playing forward. He's a good mark for his size and good on a lead. Unfortunately resting midfielders up forward has been a rarity at Tigerland.

The Tigers's offer is believed to have a significantly reduced guaranteed payment with incentives that would enable him to earn as much as he was paid this year, about $400,000, if he performs to the expected required level.

If the above is true then this sort of performance based contract for Otto seems a fair deal to me. If Otto doesn't accept it then it's for the long term best of the RFC that he gets traded.

Not sure what we would get from the Swans or Cats in any case. Their first round picks will be in the mid-teens so I'd expect more than that in exchange and they can only offer midfielders that we'd be interested in such as a Bolton or Bartels.

I agree Shawry and I hope Otto realises that, accepts our offer and stays. Unlike Spud, Wallace actually understands modern footy and I'd reckon Otto will blossom underneath him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 04:56:21 PM »

THANK YOU  :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Amazing how simple it is,huh ?

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 06:00:03 PM »
Now all we need is about 5 capable midfielders to deliver the ball to them and we're in the mix

LMFAOOOOOO@Hyde
LMFAOOOOOO@Fleming
LMFAOOOOOO@Tivendale
LMFAOOOOOO@Fiora
LMFAOOOOOO@Rodan

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 08:53:24 AM »
It is understood Ottens' managers are seriously considering two offers, with Sydney leading the chase ahead of Geelong.

Funny I didn't think it was his managers' decision. Why are they considering the offers - shouldn't Brad be considering the offers?

Actually why are they "entertaining offers" from rival clubs - I thought their client had said he wanted to stay at Richmond?  >:(

Oh that's right commission - silly me  ::)

Ottens, 24, has been told his financial arrangements are about to change after three disappointing seasons.

To date, he has been paid on potential, even allowing injuries, including a major back problem and an ankle he carried for much of the past season.

If this is true then this is a very very fair and reasonable deal.

Just keep him!!!! HE said at hte end of last season did not want to renegotiate as he wanted to wait and see how his form was rather than on potential. Time for him to repay us and stay loyal.

Spot on Shawry - as I said if Sheahan's article is true then it is a very fair and it puts the challenge to the player to perform. If it is good enough for others.........

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 02:32:39 PM »
Because he hasnt signed yet and because of our teams financial troubles

I cant help but think that perhaps Richmond are seriously looking at trading Ottens.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 01:17:39 AM »
Ottens set to quit the Tigers and head north to Sydney
Greg Denham
September 22, 2004
OFF-contract Richmond ruckman Brad Ottens is poised to leave Punt Road to join Sydney next year.

The Swans have moved quickly on Ottens, who could become the highest-profile player to swap clubs via the AFL's official player-exchange period early next month.

The 24-year-old has been offered a reduced new contract by the cash-strapped Tigers.

Ottens played this season on about $450,000, but has been asked to take a pay cut of up to $130,000 a year for at least the next two seasons.

Sydney has sounded out Ottens and is understood to be preparing to offer his management a long-term deal with the capacity to earn up to $500,000 a year.

The Swans, who have up to $1million to spare under their salary cap limit, are desperate to recruit one or two high-profile players over the next 12 months, their first since snaring full-forward Barry Hall from St Kilda three years ago.

Sydney coach Paul Roos yesterday said he had identified a ruckman and a midfielder as priority recruits before the Swans could be consistently competitive against the best.

"I've spoken to Brad and he's certainly of interest to us," Roos said.

"We certainly need a ruckman and Ottens fits the model."

Sydney has decided to increase its total player payments next year to attract class players after severe cost-cutting because of combined operating losses of more than $3m in 2002 and 2003.

Ottens is believed to have had a change of heart since he declared in June that he wanted to play out his career with Richmond.

His management group, ESP, yesterday did not want to buy into Ottens' future, only to say he was "undecided". He is scheduled to return from holiday next week.

Sydney will attempt to satisfy the Tigers by offering a player, most likely to be defender Jason Saddington, and an early draft choice for Ottens.

Richmond, set to post a $2.2m loss this year, is implementing severe cuts to its football department of up to $800,000 before next season.

The two most affected players are Darren Gaspar, who has agreed to serve out the final two years of his contract by accepting a $300,000 cut, and Ottens, who has had a wretched past two seasons because of injury and poor form. He failed to poll a Brownlow Medal vote this season.

In 2003 a back injury kept him out for the first half of the year, and, after playing below par for most of the first 18 rounds this season, he fractured his lower leg.

http://http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10838561%255E2722,00.html
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 01:24:14 AM »
For all his faults...we'd want more than Saddington :banghead
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

froars

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 01:27:15 AM »
pee off Brad if you're chasing the money
You're overrated anyway  :o

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 02:02:29 AM »
Pee off Brad whether you want to stay or whether you want to go. You are overrated!

Ox

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 02:10:01 AM »
If this is true,I wish him complete failure and may career debilitating injuries be the throng of his downfall.

froars

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 02:15:19 AM »
I just hope his mother follows him to Sydney - the dog deserves it lol

Ox

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 02:20:23 AM »
i also rekkonn roos is a dikhed and will struggle in the next 3 years

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 02:20:04 AM »
I will hold my tongue until it is a done deal  :shh
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.