Author Topic: Who is the third best team in the AFL?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who is the third best team in the AFL?
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:37:35 PM »
A group of us after the intraclub match yesterday were talking about where on the ladder we think we'll finish this year if we got a good run with injury etc.

The question posed was presuming Geelong and Hawthorn are the two best sides and obvious would-be finalists, who is the 3rd best side and is this side so much better than us?

I thought I'd posed the same question on OER to get your thoughts.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Who is the third best team in the AFL?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:20:41 PM »
We beat the eventual premiers didn't we.
Are we as good as Hawthorn - Nup, not yet anyway. Are we capable of matching them i the next year or two, I like to think so.
Geelong are still the benchmark.

Next 2 in line I belie are Saints and Dogs and we all now how stiff we were against them last year.

Must get over our North and most importantly Adelaide bogey teams this year.

We are right in the mix I think ! 2009 is going to be a very intersting season.

Beleive we will make bottom half of 8, top 4 not out of the ? All relies on a bit of luck in the run.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:34:19 PM »
Western Bulldogs are the third team i believe, but i see where you are coming from One-eyed.... could we do it?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »
Someone needs to put their hand up.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 02:51:17 AM »
Hawthorn.  :o

I honestly think the Cats and Dogs are better sides overall even though the Hawks won the GF and if it were best of three deciders I think they'd come out ahead.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 02:52:58 AM »
Geelong, Hawthorn ...

i think North Melbourne and Western are close ...

maybe Western gets the third spot ... though Western have a habit of falling badly after a good year ...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 06:27:55 PM »
My answer was Geelong and Hawthorn were the best two sides then daylight to the rest. The Doggies would be 3rd but the comp is so even from 3rd to 14th that most sides could finish anywhere anywhere in between taking into account injuries, form and the draw. Only Melbourne and based on last night the Eagles (too young = no depth) have no chance of making the finals.

As much as I hope we finally make the finals I also want to see how we go against the other top 8 sides. We tried to play positive footy against the Cats but still ended up 10 goals behind while we seemed to match up well against the Hawks. And of course no more uncompetitive floggings please.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 08:17:07 PM »
Bulldogs are the 3rd best during the home and away rounds but they haven't got the structure to go all the way.  St Kilda have the structure but have too many passengers.  Collingwood have the potential to be 3rd best but currently don't have the overall talent.  Adelaide have the structure and personnel but not the game plan.  We have the structure but don't have the maturity.  Carlton lack some structure and maturity.  Of these, unless Adelaide change their game plan, us and Collingwood are probably those most likely to replace the Bulldogs and both teams have more upside to potential success in September.

The rest are not close and are just making up numbers.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »
Agree with most of that smokey. The Saints depend on Riewoldt and if his knee is already playing up it could hurt them badly. They fell into 4th last year and I think they'll be the ones to drop.

I think Brisbane could be a smokey for the finals (not the flag) if Vossy can get the best out of them. They still have Brown and Bradshaw up forward and Black and Power in the midfield. It depends on how their youngsters step up this year. Last year they looked a chance for top 4 midway through the year until the wheels fell off and the friction between Matthews and Brown came to light.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigerfan1961

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:42:56 PM »

Next 2 in line I belie are Saints and Dogs and we all now how stiff we were against them last year.

Must get over our North and most importantly Adelaide bogey teams this year.

And bloody Sydney too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We just do not play well against them, that crappy flooding game plan brings us unstuck every time