Author Topic: NAB Cup round 2: Tigers vs Pies  (Read 10686 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: NAB Cup round 2: Tigers vs Pies
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2009, 07:37:49 PM »
Can sombody please explain to me why a professional football player would loose skills in the 6 weeks they have off and have to regain them in practice matches. Match fitness I could understand but they have been training for 4 months and any rustness should be gone it that time. They cant have forgotten how to kick and handball in 6 weeks can they.

The skills were horrible but what was even worse was the decision making. How many times did somebody handball to a teamate that was going nowhere. Do they loose football thinking in that 6 weeks off too ?
I think it's just getting use to the tempo of the game again which you can't replicate at training or even in intraclub scratch matches. They get 8 weeks off then 3 months training of which most of it is running and weights training. That's almost 5 months without playing a real game. You'd expect them to be rusty and needing a little while to get that split second timing back as far as execution of skills, decision making and functioning as a team rather than as 18 individuals. Add new faces and trialing new positions and tactics and error-riddled performances aren't surprising. Playing with all these experimental rules in the NAB Cup which no one is use to doesn't help either.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

bushranger

« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2009, 07:46:13 PM »
Have to agree with that as it isn't just our team that has played badly, and won or lost it has been close enough to them all.
So thing's can only improve, well I hope so.
The games that they have shown on the idiot box have shown teams need a lot of fine tuning, and this is all the way around.
So this isn't a bagging session on our team but on the lot of them.
And I wouldn't hold much on the games in the preseason. Some teams go all out for it, and some try new kids in new positions. We were one of those, while the Pies, I think have gone all out to get the money in their pocket.
But still showed they need to work on their skills to.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2009, 09:25:39 PM »
The quarter-finals saw Collingwood belt Richmond ....

http://afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/72751/default.aspx

A preseason game that was even on the scoreboard for 3 quarters is a belting  ???

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »
Caro said on 3aw tonight that we (Richmond) have admitted we were taken aback by how well prepared and drilled Collingwood were for this time of the year. The Pies are clearly ahead in terms of preparation than other clubs.

bushranger

« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2009, 07:38:15 PM »
From what I have seen of our game and other teams playing we are just as good as half of tehm or 3 quarters of them.
So if she has watched other teams play and thinks we were the worste of them all. I think she has a paper weight as a brain.
We did play scrappy but so have many others.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2009, 08:12:13 PM »
Caro said on 3aw tonight that we (Richmond) have admitted we were taken aback by how well prepared and drilled Collingwood were for this time of the year. The Pies are clearly ahead in terms of preparation than other clubs.
And it'll all mean diddly squat in over 3 weeks time. The Pies can be March premiers all they want  :sleep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »
Exactly MT. Pies could be a couple of injuries away from being brought back to the pack and furthermore who can recall those Skunks when they went winless in June for a few years in succession not so long ago. Overrated footy team. If anyone did not know any better they'd think they have made the last 10 grand finals and won 8 of them.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »
Inside Football says 10 of the Pies 14 goals came directly from Richmond turnovers  :P.

Player ratings...

BROWN, Nathan           Picked up by O'Brien. Did few things without taking charge                         5   
COUSINS, Ben            Did OK in much-vaunted return to footy. Concussed by knock late in game    7
DELEDIO, Brett           Won a lot of ball early around the ground then to full forward.                 8
EDWARDS, Shane          Used mainly in defensive role                                                                 4
FOLEY, Nathan                Consistent ball winner all night.                                                         7
GRAHAM, Angus              Substitute came on late in third quarter. Not a big factor                    2
HISLOP, Tom                   Ran hard early and bobbed up a few times.                                         4
JACKSON, Daniel            Run with role on various midfielders and won his share of the footy.         7
JOHNSON, Kane             Left field in third quarter with knee-injury. OK til then.                         6
KING, Jake                        No impact                                                                                         1
McMAHON, Jordan        Covered ground but game was punctuated by turnovers and other  errors    5­
MOORE, Kelvin               Had a hard job on the quick-moving Cloke                                                 4
MORTON, Mitch             Didn't get much of the ball.                                                                 3
NAHAS, Robin                  Clever at ground level early but then disappeared.                                 2
NEWMAN, Chris              On Lockyer early. Showed the way with a strong game.                         6
POLO, Dean                    Mopped up well and definitely an improver .                                          7
RAINES, Andrew             Ran and delivered beautifully from half back                                         8
RANCE, Alex            Secured uncontested touches. Hard adjusting to tempo and rushed disposal.   3
RICHARDSON, Matt      Mixed bag from the Richmond favorite. Ran hard as ever.                            5
RIEWOLDT, Jack           Missed two gettable goals in third term. Differing approaches to shots          4
SIMMONDS, Troy           Toiled in ruck but no influence around ground.                                          4
TAMBLlNG, Richard      Often hurried disposals which reduced effectiveness.                                  4
THOMSON, Adam         Bright start and covered a lot of ground as a forward.                                  4
THURSFIELD, Will         Low key job in defence                                                                          4
VICKERY, Tyrone            Big ask for kid to start as forward focal point. Still learning.                  3
WHITE, Matthew             Got amongst it in second quarter and had a fair game.                          5

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2009, 08:20:17 PM »
Well what a terrible game to watch, still can't get over our over use of the ball, bad really bad level of skill and decision making and lack of intensity in the forward line. Also forgot to mention lack of forward pressure, tackling, run and carry..... etc, I think you get the picture.

I hope this is not the Tigers we will be watching all year, pre-season or not I did expect more than I saw, but I am used to that with this club.

Rance & Raines were good and with the exception of the regulars you could throw a blanket of poo over the rest IMO.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2009, 10:46:35 PM »
Well what a terrible game to watch, still can't get over our over use of the ball, bad really bad level of skill and decision making and lack of intensity in the forward line. Also forgot to mention lack of forward pressure, tackling, run and carry..... etc, I think you get the picture.

I hope this is not the Tigers we will be watching all year, pre-season or not I did expect more than I saw, but I am used to that with this club.

Rance & Raines were good and with the exception of the regulars you could throw a blanket of poo over the rest IMO.

your opinion is pretty much spot on, althought i thought thompson and Vickery were good. Moore also

The rest were for the tip.

Ill say this though we need some serious pace in our forward line or it will be same old as far as out club in concerned.

Opp teams run it coast coast so easily when they play us. WTF is up with that and why isn't that idiot D.King and Royal onto it. 2 fools they are.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.