Author Topic: Knights Quits Port Adel Magpies  (Read 3245 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Knights Quits Port Adel Magpies
« on: September 20, 2004, 02:13:38 PM »
I read about this on Big Footy and managed to find the article from the Adelaide Advertiser see below:

====================

Knights calls it a day
By DOUG ROBERTSON
18sep04

PORT Adelaide Magpies coach Matthew Knights quit unexpectedly yesterday with one year to run on his contract.

The football philosophies of the former Richmond captain and those of the Magpies did not fit so they agreed to split, Knights said.

Knights told the Magpies he had no alternative offers to coach but he felt it was in the best interests of both parties to cut short his contract at Alberton.

"It's something I've been considering for two or three weeks now and it's just in regards to myself and the club's differing philosophies in regard to the club moving forward next year. It's a simple as that," Knights said.

"I feel really comfortable with my decision and comfortable with moving on."

Knights confirmed he intended to continue coaching and he is likely to be keenly sought-after as an assistant coach by several AFL clubs.

"I'm very comfortable living in Adelaide," said Knights, who owns a house here.

"You're really hoping for all sorts of approaches and if I am approached by those types of clubs I'd have to consider it."

Club president David Basheer declined to elaborate on the differences between Knights and the club's philosophies but Basheer was firm the group of players Knights helped shape would stay at Alberton next year.

"It's a young group and a pretty dedicated group and I'd be pretty surprised if that group didn't stay together," Basheer said. "While the season was disappointing one thing we have done is reduce the average age of the playing group from 26 years to 21 and they're going to be the basis of our next era."

Knights joined the Magpies two years ago as football manager and assistant coach after 279 games with Richmond.

He succeeded favourite son Stephen Williams in the senior role after last season and took the Magpies to sixth place this year. Port chief executive Matthew Richardson said the management committee would meet on Monday to decided a strategy for finding a replacement coach.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy03/story_page/0,8747,10802103%255E21546,00.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Knights Quits Port Adel Magpies
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 02:26:00 PM »
The football philosophies of the former Richmond captain and those of the Magpies did not fit so they agreed to split, Knights said.

Club president David Basheer declined to elaborate on the differences between Knights and the club's philosophies but Basheer was firm the group of players Knights helped shape would stay at Alberton next year.

If you don't coach Port Adelaide into the SANFL finals then you don't coach them. They are pretty ruthless in that respect and being an outsider wouldn'tt have helped Knighter either.

lol their CEO is called Matthew Richardson.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 02:31:55 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Knights Quits Port Adel Magpies
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 04:00:40 PM »
If you don't coach Port Adelaide into the SANFL finals then you don't coach them.

And going by what I have read - it would appear that the so called experts believe the Port Magpies under achieved in 2004.

They only needed to win one of their final 2 games to make the finals and ended up getting beated by one of the bottom teams and the Eagles
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Knights to coach Tigers
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 01:54:25 AM »
The Age says Knighter is touted to the new coach at Glenelg.

;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd