Author Topic: Kelli Underwood  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Kelli Underwood
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 03:09:18 PM »
Can't understand the fuss. I turned the teev over to watch the game and it took me a while to realise it was Kellie commentating.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
There was a poll in the herald sun which had 56% of people saying Kelli was not a success.There were over 5000 votes.
Unleash the tornado

Moi

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 03:17:29 PM »
Sounds like it was a once off......for the time being.Also an example of channel 10 trying to reinvent the wheel.

If not wanting kelli to commentate games makes me a dinosour, I will happily change my name to T-REX.lol

Don't want to misinterpret you or Blaisee, but are you both saying women shouldn't be in the game at all, or just this instance?

Moi....I have alot of respect for Caroline Wilson and look forward to seeing her on Footy Classified every Monday.
I think its great that we have a female goal umpire.
I believe Football is a form of entertainment and having Kelli commentate detracts from my enjoyment of the game.This is just the way I feel.
I dont like Will Smith either and wont watch any of his movies .I hope that doesn't make me racist.

Agree, it's just personal choice, and I respect your right to like her or not.
I'd like to see her have a preseason to see if she improves or not.  I'm figuring they're testing her out as well, just to see if she can hack it, if we like her as etc.  Just like coaches do a bit of finetuning during the preseason so do television stations I'm guessing.

Moi

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 03:19:40 PM »
There was a poll in the herald sun which had 56% of people saying Kelli was not a success.There were over 5000 votes.
I would have been one of them.  But I didn't hate what she did, it was just abnormal to hear a woman calling the footy.  I hope they give her another go because I'd give anything for someone to replace Dwayne Russell lol

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 04:01:38 PM »
Having reflected on what I said earlier......in the spirit of Richmond giving Ben Cousins another chance-I will give Kelli another go...But gee I hope its not a Tiger game.
If truth be known my first reaction to seeing Caro on talking footy was WHO THE HELL IS THIS WOMAN.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:37:28 PM by mat073 »
Unleash the tornado

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 05:41:29 PM »

And there was a poll in the Age, 60% of people were in favour of Kelli.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 05:50:51 PM »
I have a question for you,

Is Ms Underwood the best person they could find for the job, or the best female they could find for the job?

Therin lies your answer ;)

I am all for equality, but this is a case of rampant reverse sexism . Its ridiculous.

You could find 1000 blokes to do the job as well as Kelli did it, but no, we have to give the job to a woman, paying no regard to her relative ability ( or lack of ability for that matter )
She's probably not the best for the job and wouldn't have been my choice.
But is Grant Hackett the best sports news presenter?
I really doubt it.
Horses for courses on this topic.  We both can provide lots of examples where someone has been used for a job that others can do better.
But what I was askiing you was if you thought there was a place for women in footy was more what I was asking.
I gather from your above answer you're not totally against women if they're the right person for the job.  That's good, but hey, I can find just as many blokes in footy that are frauds and/or annoy the crap out of me as well. 
Underwood >>>>>>>>>>>>> poor old Grant lol.

I agree they are testing her out. She's been a good and knowledgeable footy reporter on the radio for a while now so they must be just seeing how she'd go commentating.

I personally don't think there are the good commentators available. Most modern day ones wouldn't last two seconds compared to the personality of a Mike Williamson, Lou Richards or Rex in his hey day. Cometti is the only one decent on Seven (Bruce has lost his spark since they got back the footy coverage and they've given Watson the flick down to the boundary because he'd put you to sleep). TEN has hardly anyone that makes you go yeah he's great and when we're playing Hawthorn or Carlton the bias is cringeworthy. BT is pretty good on MMM but I can't stand nuff nuff Spud's "special" commentary :rollin. I actually like Eddie commentating non-Collingwood games  :outtahere.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 06:02:10 PM »
BT is going to be doing some of the Foxtel games this season
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2009, 06:43:15 PM »
I am all for equality, but this is a case of rampant reverse sexism . Its ridiculous.

You could find 1000 blokes to do the job as well as Kelli did it, but no, we have to give the job to a woman, paying no regard to her relative ability ( or lack of ability for that matter )

It is interesting that what seems to have been lost in all of this is the fact that Ch 10 gave another of their sports reporters a chance to call a game the week before. That was always their intention during the NAB Cup. To reward their staff with an opportunity - the 2 people being Underwood & Waters

FWIW - Rob Waters called the Brisbane/Saints game the week before and to be honest IMHO he was woeful. But no-one has critiqued his efforts. I certainly don't think I read or heard a word about his performance. It is likely he will just not get another go

Last year I'm sure they gave Andy Maher a go as well and he hasn't been commentating matches on Ch 10 since, he remains stuck on the boundary line  ;D

So I am not really sure it can be classed as "rampant reverse sexism".

I agree totally that it should be a case of giving the job to the best available, a person's gender should not play a role. I think they (Ch 10) have simply given 2 people a chance at commentating nothing, more nothing less
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 07:13:29 PM »
Give me Kelli any day over idiot Maher's uncontrolled blue-barracking  :chuck. He makes Eddie sound neutral.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd