Author Topic: Forward line  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Forward line
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 09:44:41 AM »
get Post in the Forward Line, DEEP! and can it too him (LONG!) and let him use those hands of his!

If he is ready fair enough, but no use feeding him to the Lions if he isnt.   If he needs to work on his game then at the top level isnt the place to do it.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 10:11:09 AM »
I didn't think Sarge was anywhere near as bad as some are suggesting.
As usual Wallace shuffled him around all over the place. i think Richo even started at FF the other night.
Give Jay half a dozen games at FF (and play/keep him there!!).  :rollin
If it doesn't work out after that time, then try another option whether that be Hughes, Post, Gourdis or whoever.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »
I didn't think Sarge was anywhere near as bad as some are suggesting.
As usual Wallace shuffled him around all over the place. i think Richo even started at FF the other night.
Give Jay half a dozen games at FF (and play/keep him there!!).  :rollin
If it doesn't work out after that time, then try another option whether that be Hughes, Post, Gourdis or whoever.

Agreed! Plugger Lockett could not have got a kick in our forward line last week the way the ball came in. Give Jay 5 or so weeks to show what he can do and if he fails at least we know one way or another. And then it's time to make a decission on him.
And for the record, i don't think he was our worst by a long shot the other night.

Edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:44:47 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »
get Post in the Forward Line, DEEP! and can it too him (LONG!) and let him use those hands of his!

If he is ready fair enough, but no use feeding him to the Lions if he isnt.   If he needs to work on his game then at the top level isnt the place to do it.

Based on what I saw last week watching Post playing for Coburg, he isn't' ready for seniors. Good points you make Chuck
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 05:28:04 PM »
We took something like 16 marks inside forward 50 apparently (Richo took 6 of them) which sounds good but I thought when we needed our forwards to stand up when we weren't smashing Geelong out of the centre they went missing. Scarlett and Milburn were in the Geelong's best players. We went inside 50 enough today to kick a winning score but apart from that 3 quarter we could hardly score. Just kicking 5.3 in 3 quarters and from 30+ inside 50s is bloody ordinary.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 05:30:43 PM »
Yep still our weak point, but boy wasn't there some screamers in that 3rd qtr with Schulz and Morton.  :gotigers

I think we still need to persist with Schulz at this stage.

Ramps

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 05:38:43 PM »
The solution is

a) We have to get an early pick to get one of the key young forwards available in the draft or
b) We try to lure a young FF type like Hawkins out of Geelong.

I have lost all faith in Schulz up forward. Clever has disappointed with his attack on the ball. Richo is 34 years old.

We need to do something.

Tigermonk

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 05:42:48 PM »
You can trade Rewoldt cause he is useless  :rollin

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »
The solution is

a) We have to get an early pick to get one of the key young forwards available in the draft or
b) We try to lure a young FF type like Hawkins out of Geelong.

I have lost all faith in Schulz up forward. Clever has disappointed with his attack on the ball. Richo is 34 years old.

We need to do something.

Give Post a chance.

I am not sold on Nahas either.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »
Nath Brown should be left as a loose man in defence

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2009, 06:09:41 PM »
You can trade Rewoldt cause he is useless  :rollin
Jack's not a big key forward. He reminds me of Mark Williams before Buddy and Roughhead joined him at Hawthorn. He'll be better when we eventually have 2 big guys next to him but the likes of Vickery and Post are a couple of years away. Right now we have just one so he's played as our 2nd tall and that other tall next to him is pretty ordinary too. Ramps is right. We need to find and draft another quality 196cm key forward. It'll straighten us up.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2009, 06:50:36 PM »
How far is Clever away
see local lad Ryan Allen having a run with Coburg  ;D
now there is a hard fearless strong marking forward

Ramps

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2009, 06:54:20 PM »
Tom Hawkins looks as though he doesnt want to be in Geelong, this I think will be heightened when he has to make way for Lonergan again. Richmond should be right onto his management as of now, I think theres a chance that a club will be able to get Hawkins out of Geelong, if they put the work in now with his management.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2009, 07:00:46 PM »
we need a 'tall full forward' ... as we all know ...

i think we have to stick with Schulz at FF ...

Pattison could be something at FF ...

however ... Post ... i would just throw in there at FF now ...

but from what i have read ... he is not ready ...

i did not watch the match today, how did Nahas go?

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2009, 08:18:10 PM »
I'm not convinced bottoming out to pick up a quality forward in the draft or trading for a forward is the best option. We have KPF in the wings but they are either lacking in confidence, experience or size.

Vickery, Putt, Post, Gourdis and Pattison have all shown at various stages to be capable forward options but none, with the exception of possibility Patto, is experienced enough to step into the role.

One of Putt, Vickery, Gourdis or Post needs to fill the role. The problem is is that none of them will be ready for 2-3 years (sooner than a new recruit at least). Until they can fill the role they can still come in as the 3rd forward option or 'goal sitter' in the case of Vickery or Putt.

I still think Hughes and Schulz could surprize us but whatever happens our forwardline desperately needs a tall forward to step up quickly.

Still a big problem though in the short term.... ???

Stripes