Author Topic: Ben Cousins' 33 drug test and he's clean  (Read 631 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Cousins' 33 drug test and he's clean
« on: March 04, 2009, 03:52:02 AM »
Richmond's Ben Cousins' 33 drug test and he's clean
Mark Robinson | March 04, 2009

EXCLUSIVE: BEN Cousins has been drug tested an estimated 33 times since joining Richmond - and all have been negative.

The 2005 Brownlow medallist has been tested three times a week since December 16.

The Herald Sun can also reveal the self-confessed drug addict, who has never tested positive, supplied a hair sample in January. It also tested negative to illicit drugs.

It was taken at Punt Rd under the supervision of AFL medical commissioners Dr Peter Harcourt and Dr Harry Unglik and AFL integrity services manager Brett Clothier.

It is believed the sample was sent to London for testing.

The first attempt at obtaining a hair sample from Cousins in November, before he had been cleared to play by the AFL, ended in a debacle when Cousins shaved/waxed his body, meaning he did not have the required 3cm of hair.

The AFL, in allowing Cousins to return to the competition, will subject him to a rigorous drug-testing regimen in the next 12 months.

It includes hair testing four times a year, the first of which was in January.

A letter to Cousins specified the time and place of that appointment and a requirement to have hair available.

The estimated 33 urine tests for illicit drugs, conducted by Dorevitch Pathology, have mostly been at training sessions.

It is highly unlikely that Cousins has been tested away from the club.

Testers from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) targeted Cousins in the first training session after the Christmas break.

ASADA tests for performance-enhancing drugs.

The AFL won't comment on the Cousins situation other than to say: "The conditions are ongoing and he accepted those conditions."

Although Cousins is said to be enjoying the occasional alcoholic drink, the drug-testing results are emphatic evidence Cousins is winning his battle with drugs.

Regular discussion with Richmond officials, also part of the AFL conditions, indicates Cousins is in a happy space, despite the media spotlight.

His much-hyped documentary about his battle is nearing its end, and that will not disappoint Cousins.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25135540-19742,00.html

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Cousins' 33 drug test and he's clean
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:57:10 AM »
I know about Ben's strict testing regime but it seems excessive when a total number is put to paper(33)! Especially for a guy who has never tested positive for drugs! Will they eventually relax the conditions to at least once a week? I would have thought that one test a week should pick up any abnormalities anyway?

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:14:12 AM »
Wonder why they don't mention how many times certain players from a certain club have been tested and those times they were found positive. :-X

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:44:35 AM »
EXCLUSIVE: BEN Cousins has been drug tested an estimated 33 times since joining Richmond - and all have been negative.

The 2005 Brownlow medallist has been tested three times a week since December 16.

The Herald Sun can also reveal the self-confessed drug addict, who has never tested positive, supplied a hair sample in January. It also tested negative to illicit drugs.

Anyone could have written this  ::)

It's been 11 weeks since he was drafted, the AFL said he'd be tested about three times a week.... um I estimate that to be 33 times.

Let's see, he's also still playing/on our list, so he obviously hasn't tested positive  ::)

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:14:09 PM »
I know about Ben's strict testing regime but it seems excessive when a total number is put to paper(33)! Especially for a guy who has never tested positive for drugs! Will they eventually relax the conditions to at least once a week? I would have thought that one test a week should pick up any abnormalities anyway?

Amphetamines are not detectable in urine after 48 hours, that's why he's getting tested every 2 days effectively

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:40:12 PM »
Well I for one am going to sleep soundly this evening knowing that Benny's been tested 33 times, all test have come back negative and he's been able give them a hair sample....

I just feel the weight of the world has been lifted

Thanks Mark Robinson you twit  ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:33:54 AM »
Anyone could have written this  ::)

It's been 11 weeks since he was drafted, the AFL said he'd be tested about three times a week.... um I estimate that to be 33 times.

Let's see, he's also still playing/on our list, so he obviously hasn't tested positive  ::)
:clapping

Waiting for the December Herald-Sun story saying Cuz has been tested 156 times  :wallywink

In all seriousness hopefully Cuz stays clean from here on for his own sake.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd